IGNORED

Drexciya

essines

The Book of Drexciya Vol. 1 graphic novel, up for crowdfunding on IndieGoGo:

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-book-of-drexciya-volume-one#/

LoL. I'm gon make some "The Book of Autechre" and all u watmmers gon be paying me good money to make some drawings of autechre MythoLogy lolszzz

Shaun&Robert gon be pissed as a mofo when I be doin it ×D

My OCD is a little out of control but jesus I just get so pissed when the blue of vol II is a couple hues darker than Vol I and it's missing the II sign on the bottom spine.

GAHHHHH WHY DON'T PEOPLE EVER CHECK THIS

still waiting for vol III

lmao. turns out i complained and they sent me a corrected copy with the II sign on the spine. I now have all of them and they get progressively darker but vol IV just gets greener. I hate it.

omg im lauffing my ass off. @ the descripton.. what a politiccal kinda move ting omg -- who even made this up....? LoL

"Thomas is a smuggler, shipping European refugees who hope to find a better life in Africa."

time's a changing innit

How Did James Stin Son Die ?

I read he died on a natural cause,, but what wud even be unnatural? So.. not to be a grave diggah but I'm Curious how did he die like u kno? rip

Born on September 14, 1969, James Stinson grew up on Detroit's east side and graduated from Kettering in 1989. He died September 3, 2002 of heart complications in Newnan, Georgia, where he had moved earlier that year for health reasons.

No idea of specifics, definitely untimely. He mentioned in a radio interview planning to move out of Detroit for the better air and warmer climate. James was a truck driver by trade, that work involves long hours, sitting, and often consuming food and drink on American highways that's not exactly suited for great health. One of the few photos of him he's noticeably overweight. Working class man who died of the same health issues that often plague working class Americans and African-Americans in general. 

How Did James Stin Son Die ?

I read he died on a natural cause,, but what wud even be unnatural? So.. not to be a grave diggah but I'm Curious how did he die like u kno? rip

Born on September 14, 1969, James Stinson grew up on Detroit's east side and graduated from Kettering in 1989. He died September 3, 2002 of heart complications in Newnan, Georgia, where he had moved earlier that year for health reasons.

No idea of specifics, definitely untimely. He mentioned in a radio interview planning to move out of Detroit for the better air and warmer climate. James was a truck driver by trade, that work involves long hours, sitting, and often consuming food and drink on American highways that's not exactly suited for great health. One of the few photos of him he's noticeably overweight. Working class man who died of the same health issues that often plague working class Americans and African-Americans in general. 

Hi bro man. Ah ye heart condition...dangsad:( But u kno..he looks heallthy to me

wayne_6143.jpg

My OCD is a little out of control but jesus I just get so pissed when the blue of vol II is a couple hues darker than Vol I and it's missing the II sign on the bottom spine.

GAHHHHH WHY DON'T PEOPLE EVER CHECK THIS

still waiting for vol III

lmao. turns out i complained and they sent me a corrected copy with the II sign on the spine. I now have all of them and they get progressively darker but vol IV just gets greener. I hate it.

good, now u gottu send the vol IV back too tho? 

ps. i sitll dont get the "refugee" ting lol. like why didnt they just tell the Drexciya story as it is? 

Ships carrying enslaved African people from one geographical location to another across the Atlantic Ocean and creation of an underwater country populated by the unborn children of pregnant African women thrown off of slave ships... like why did the Rittmeier guy gotta bring some "European refugees"... why not African women on a slave ship and not European Refugees Seeking Better Life in Africa.... sorry Gerald Donald but I think I will boicott Drexciya and Dopplereffekt until u step up my man mr. Donald... fix it pls

lol what is that graphic novel nonsense ?

It's by Abdul Haqq and with approval of Gerald Donald, so it's as official as it could get. Haqq is the one who made the artwork for Neptune's Lair and The Philosophy Of Sound And Machine comp and a whole bunch of other Detroit releases, makes comics, etc. See also this:

http://daily.redbullmusicacademy.com/2016/10/art-of-drexciya

It's mostly James Stinsons concepts worked out by Haqq, and 50% of the profit goes to the family of Stinson who could really use the money. Seems fair enough to support?

lol what is that graphic novel nonsense ?

It's by Abdul Haqq and with approval of Gerald Donald, so it's as official as it could get. Haqq is the one who made the artwork for Neptune's Lair and The Philosophy Of Sound And Machine comp and a whole bunch of other Detroit releases, makes comics, etc. See also this:

http://daily.redbullmusicacademy.com/2016/10/art-of-drexciya 

It's mostly James Stinsons concepts worked out by Haqq, and 50% of the profit goes to the family of Stinson who could really use the money. Seems fair enough to support?

This, it's legit whether you dig the art or not. I'm sure like Aphex Twin though most "Drexciya merch" online is bootleg.

Yes. Looks like a good cause.

One side note though. Of those early Detroit releases, I generally preferred the Alan Oldham artwork over the Haqq stuff. Was more into the sci-fi comics from Oldham. Haqq to me looked a bit sketchy. Or rather, more sketchy than Oldhams work. The sci-fi comic style had its charms. Would have loved to see him do the graphic novel.

• 1 year later...
25 minutes ago, thumbass said:

where do I start with Drexciya.

What is considered to be their best album these days?

Ask ten people and you'll get ten different answers. Neptune's Lair is a good one to start with.

^^VLR's mixes are excellent too

Edited by Enthusiast

18 minutes ago, thumbass said:

tough question, great tracks spread across many singles, eps,  albums, and aliases. detroit techno is generally not confined or only appreciated in the album format.

i'd say start checking out mixes or the compilation series' journey of the deep sea dweller.. despite presenting the material out of order, they will give you a good overview.  or just start collecting it all because every release has at least something good on it.

Edited by markedone
  • Like 2

Thanks for the reminder @markedone! Never got around of grabbing the Sea Dweller anthology, since I already had The Quest when Clone started the series. btw, one of those releases that I paid a good buck for, also goes to the top rarest releases in my collection (now, who wants to touch me?). Yet, those Journey Of Deep Sea Dweller comps have a couple of tracks I really should get. Davey Jones Locker, Aquarazorda and Black Sea come to mind. Ah well, maybe heading my steps to Beatport or Juno now. But need to share this first. My favorite Drexciya track hands down:

:cattears:

1 hour ago, thumbass said:

STOOOP ALL OF THESE PEOPLE ARE WRONG!!!

YOU WATCH THIS IMMEDIATLY 

THEN GO FROM THERE!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1