IGNORED

What TV series are you watching at moment?

Npoess

Taboo season finale was quite sensational, well worth some slow episodes in an otherwise extraordinary first season.

Watching Ronja the Robbers Daughter with my kid. Pretty good series.

I looked this up and it is such a weird thing to see a Ghibli spin on such a classic Lindgren novel and film. The original book and 90's film are bleak but adventurous tales that embrace the filthy viking settings and rich birchwoods of old Norse stories - Ronja is either surrounded by drunk warriors or scary folklore creatures. It is difficult to overstate just how impactful films like this were on Scandinavian childhoods, and how many have seen them over generations. Everybody around the world had to go through the ordeal of Bambi's mother or Simba's father dying, meanwhile Lindgren films were exposing us to things like the protagonists themselves of Lionheart Brothers dying (twice!). I would however concede that this version would be much more exciting to young relatives who love the Ghibli adventures.

Taboo season finale was quite sensational, well worth some slow episodes in an otherwise extraordinary first season.

Watching Ronja the Robbers Daughter with my kid. Pretty good series.

I looked this up and it is such a weird thing to see a Ghibli spin on such a classic Lindgren novel and film. The original book and 90's film are bleak but adventurous tales that embrace the filthy viking settings and rich birchwoods of old Norse stories - Ronja is either surrounded by drunk warriors or scary folklore creatures. It is difficult to overstate just how impactful films like this were on Scandinavian childhoods, and how many have seen them over generations. Everybody around the world had to go through the ordeal of Bambi's mother or Simba's father dying, meanwhile Lindgren films were exposing us to things like the protagonists themselves of Lionheart Brothers dying (twice!). I would however concede that this version would be much more exciting to young relatives who love the Ghibli adventures.
Some tears from both of us during this season. It's unusual in its animation style add they've decided to make the characters more rendered than other Ghibli productions. It gives them a more 'rounded' appearance. We're not quite at the end of this season yet, and I'm not familiar with the literature so this been quite satisfying.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

of course they're kidding around, but Patrick sounds interested in possibly appearing on Legion is some fashion, but we still don't know what time period it takes place in...

The OA is pretty awesome. I even liked the ending.

Just finished "The OA" and I totally agree

quiet intense and moving

Only 2 episodes in. Seems competently done so far. My main issue is the gay-bashing, angst ridden drug dealer/filmmaker? Seriously, what teenager brings his rottweiler to an empty building to deal drugs to complete dorks & trans-gender kids? And who bought him that 40oz? completely ridiculous.

Legion ep5 - Thoroughly enjoyed. The last 10 minutes were ace. Had to turn to another channel to make sure the volume was working on my tv.

Unfortunately the narrative in this show has probably alienated many viewers who probably won't come back; and probably will alienate more. The ratings just aren't very strong. I, on the other hand, am looking forward to see where it goes.

Legion ep5 - Thoroughly enjoyed. The last 10 minutes were ace. Had to turn to another channel to make sure the volume was working on my tv.

Unfortunately the narrative in this show has probably alienated many viewers who probably won't come back; and probably will alienate more. The ratings just aren't very strong. I, on the other hand, am looking forward to see where it goes.

Yeah it's definitely turned to the 2nd half of the season, David owning his abilities, loved the white eyes, a great nod to the comics. I still think Jean Smart is playing Emma Frost, maybe she's concealing her identity. My fan theory is Xavier asked her to rescue David from Clockwork and D3, knowing how powerful he is. She seems to be running her own center for gifted mutants (as she's run Xavier's school before in he comics). But the vagueness of the time period makes me suspect we're still in his head.

Iron Fist seems to be generating a mini SJW scandal before it even airs, as journalists who viewed preview episodes are going off the rails criticizing casting a Caucasian actor as Danny Rand??  

https://moviepilot.com/p/finn-jones-delete-twitter-iron-fist-cultural-appropriation/3809740

It sounds kinda bad anyway though.

edit - all of Marvel's Asian characters are laughable 1960s stereotypes and/or inscrutable mystics, so they're always going to end up pissing someone off.

Edited by doublename

It sounds kinda bad anyway though.

edit - all of Marvel's Asian characters are laughable 1960s stereotypes and/or inscrutable mystics, so they're always going to end up pissing someone off.

yeah but Danny Rand is white, that's what so ridiculous, a lot of these "journalists" are pre-judging the show with no knowledge that the most well known incarnation of Iron Fist is a honkey.  Shit, even the current run is white boy Danny.  Now, recasting The Ancient One in Doctor Strange as a white British woman was stupid, they really can't win in the pc climate of today.

Maybe just dont make the milquetoast comic into a tv show

an tv show of the actual milquetoast comic would be cool

edit: actually it would probably suck

Edited by dr lopez

legion is so tedious, holy shit

How far in are you? Felt the same way for the first few episodes, but the last 2 or 3 got me all in.

Just caught up to the end of s4 of The Americans. Best drama on TV. Criminally underrated.

it is, so glad it's back. among the copious amounts of shit i watch, it's the only series that i'm really looking forward to from week to week. easily the best since sopranos in that "fucked up family drama" genre (at least among the shows i checked out).

and actually it has been consistently rated very highly, maybe it's just not popular in the u.s?

Edited by eugene

Just caught up to the end of s4 of The Americans. Best drama on TV. Criminally underrated.

it is, so glad it's back. among the copious amounts of shit i watch, it's the only series that i'm really looking forward to from week to week. easily the best since sopranos in that "fucked up family drama" genre (at least among the shows i checked out).

and actually it has been consistently rated very highly, maybe it's just not popular in the u.s?

Totally possible, I know no one who watches it here. Just started getting Emmy nods last season too, bit late. I haven't done any research into its overseas ratings though.

Legion EP6 - Some quality shit. A few standout scenes visually & aurally. The cricket slumber sequence was balling. Aubrey Plaza strip tease/cabaret dance sequence...yes please. 

Edited by olo