IGNORED

Foster the People Cite Aphex Twin as Influence

KyonPalm

Guest ruiagnelo

So, Aphex Twin is pretty much the first and main inspiration for a new generation of artists producing consumerism oriented pop garbage? What exactly went wrong?

So, Aphex Twin is pretty much the first and main inspiration for a new generation of artists producing consumerism oriented pop garbage? What exactly went wrong?

Judging by the song XXX embedded, and a quick skim read of the artist's Wikipedia page, it sounds like Foster draws influences from all over the place, perhaps partly because he wrote jingles for a living for a while (there's nothing like commission work to expand your horizons), but most likely because he has a non-prejudiced love of many diverse genres of music. He then fuses these together. This is a good thing. Even if you don't like the result, you have to respect what he's doing. Then again, I never got why people don't like Moby either...

And Aphex Twin's music is so difficult and far removed from the mainstream that I'd wager it's mostly musicians who listen to it. It's just that not all of those musicians want to write difficult, complex music, just because they want to listen to it. Some of them are content to be popular. :)

And Aphex Twin's music is so difficult and far removed from the mainstream that I'd wager it's mostly musicians who listen to it. It's just that not all of those musicians want to write difficult, complex music, just because they want to listen to it. Some of them are content to be popular. :)

afx is pretty mainstream, guy had two hits. he got scared and run away, but there was a time when maonna and bjork tried to make him work for them. and that's as mainstream as it gets.

everyone loves afx just like everyone loves boc. these are the 'faces' and go-to-bands for everyone who wants to listen to some 'real electronic music'. just as burial is to 'real dubstep'. i don't really understand why is anyone surprised skrillex or this bloke cite him as influence.

mandy moore twitted about jandek that other day, come on. we live in weird times.

afx is pretty mainstream, guy had two hits. he got scared and run away, but there was a time when maonna and bjork tried to make him work for them. and that's as mainstream as it gets.

everyone loves afx just like everyone loves boc. these are the 'faces' and go-to-bands for everyone who wants to listen to some 'real electronic music'. just as burial is to 'real dubstep'. i don't really understand why is anyone surprised skrillex or this bloke cite him as influence.

Fair point. I guess it's all relative. Aphex Twin isn't as mainstream as The Prodigy or Fatboy Slim, but he's certainly more mainstream than Pete Namlook or even Squarepusher. Plus it's easy to talk at crossed purposes when talking about an artist overall, especially one with a diverse body of work. Come to Daddy and Windowlicker certainly got a lot of airplay on MTV2 back in the day. Far less people have heard of the Analord series, outside of electronic music fans. Which I'm guessing was the point.

Although I wouldn't say "everyone" loves Aphex Twin. I think my partner more tolerates me playing his music all the time, but wouldn't play it of her own accord, which is fine as I feel the same way about Porcupine Tree.

oh look another one of those crappy summer festival bands.

who cares, the music sucks and on top of it they look like they'v eaten a bag of dickqs

aphex twin an influence, give me a break, they read to many kanye west stories, it's shit

http://liveonletterm...r-the-people/2/

“Aphex Twin. A lot of my programming chops come from growing up on Aphex Twin.”–Mark Foster

A pleasant surprise, but I don't really hear it.

Listen to the subtle background synth work in Pumped Up Kicks, Houdini, or Warrant from their debut album, Torches. FtP is one of the few current "pop" bands getting it right, like MGMT were before they went crap and lost their mojo. Evidence of this is how they are no longer played on the radio - I notice the better "top 40" songs these days get little airplay.

Mainstream music these days is getting harder to find gems - so many lumps of coal to sift through...

http://liveonletterm...r-the-people/2/

“Aphex Twin. A lot of my programming chops come from growing up on Aphex Twin.”–Mark Foster

A pleasant surprise, but I don't really hear it.

Listen to the subtle background synth work in Pumped Up Kicks, Houdini, or Warrant from their debut album, Torches. FtP is one of the few current "pop" bands getting it right, like MGMT were before they went crap and lost their mojo. Evidence of this is how they are no longer played on the radio - I notice the better "top 40" songs these days get little airplay.

Mainstream music these days is getting harder to find gems - so many lumps of coal to sift through...

lumps of "coal"... I like what you did there.

Archived