IGNORED

XI year old Autechre Album Released: Exai (WARP234)

Guest pixelives

Ahaaahaha. WowHD really killing it with their product descriptions:

http://www.wowhd.co.uk/CD/autechre-exai/dp/32180545#bc=7991

"The master of Electronica returns with his brilliant new album ‘Exai' Facebook marketing & Street Press features are the key focus"

Whichever over-worked warehouse-monkey they've got writing these on his breaks at least has a good sense of humour.

flol, /thread

am i the only one who is kind of annoyed by the excessive swishy shit going on in many songs? i'm still enjoying this album, but the 'bury the drums/melody/atmospherics in washy noises' shit is getting on my nerves.

I find that high volume makes it sound perfect, but at lower volumes I know what you mean. It's like the music is struggling to accommodate and punishes you for it.

Exai's natural habitat is loud and dark.

^^

This album has ruined a lot of they're older stuff for me. I was skimming through draft and ep7. This is just so much more refreshing, enjoyable, and interesting to my ears right now.

I've been listening to this thing kind of nonstop. I still haven't heard it on high quality full size speakers. I'm confident that's how to experience it's true nature. The sounds are so spacial and pure, refined.

am i the only one who is kind of annoyed by the excessive swishy shit going on in many songs? i'm still enjoying this album, but the 'bury the drums/melody/atmospherics in washy noises' shit is getting on my nerves.

I find that high volume makes it sound perfect, but at lower volumes I know what you mean. It's like the music is struggling to accommodate and punishes you for it.

agreed, definitely. loud and dark is awesome...but even on headphones (decent quality ones!) it's just...lots of swishy shit on a lot of songs. they've certainly done this sort of things on songs/albums before, but the songs where it's so strong (1 1 is, irlite (get 0), Netlon Sentinel, etc) it's almost too distracting for me to enjoy sometimes.

also, the panning/whatever on 1 1 is on headphones is INSANELY well done. i appreciate the shit out of that in one respect, but in others, i just can't enjoy the 'meat' of the song i guess. which i'm sure is part of their reasons for doing what they did in the song, but damn.

agreed, definitely. loud and dark is awesome...but even on headphones (decent quality ones!) it's just...lots of swishy shit on a lot of songs. they've certainly done this sort of things on songs/albums before, but the songs where it's so strong (1 1 is, irlite (get 0), Netlon Sentinel, etc) it's almost too distracting for me to enjoy sometimes.

also, the panning/whatever on 1 1 is on headphones is INSANELY well done. i appreciate the shit out of that in one respect, but in others, i just can't enjoy the 'meat' of the song i guess. which i'm sure is part of their reasons for doing what they did in the song, but damn.

on 1 1 is on a large speaker setup, it does these incredible.... flip flops in your head. It images amazingly.

what do you call that drum beat at 2:01-2:14 on spl9?

you can kind of also hear it at 12:36- on the lego feet part 2 track.

I love the way the bass beat sounds and the rhythm of it with the other beats. I'd love to hear more music that has that.

what do you call that drum beat at 2:01-2:14 on spl9?

you can kind of also hear it at 12:36- on the lego feet part 2 track.

I love the way the bass beat sounds and the rhythm of it with the other beats. I'd love to hear more music that has that.

it sort of reminds me of high tempo be-bop jazz. When the standup bass line is very syncopated being fully reinforced by a drum solo

Edited by Awepittance

Guest Hanratty

This album has ruined a lot of they're older stuff for me. I was skimming through draft and ep7. This is just so much more refreshing, enjoyable, and interesting to my ears right now.

Exai was tiring me out, so I put on ep7. I never liked draft that much, but ep7 sounds better these days.

Just occurred to me that "bladelores" sounds like a stereotypical Japanese guy saying "bread rolls". My conclusion is that one or both of Autechre are fucking racist. I'm pretty sure at least Sean is.

Just occurred to me that "bladelores" sounds like a stereotypical Japanese guy saying "bread rolls". My conclusion is that one or both of Autechre are fucking racist. I'm pretty sure at least Sean is.

best post

/thread

and it just occurred to me that somebody already did a pshop of this about 200 pages ago, sorry dude

this morning i woke up with that recurring drum pattern from nodezsh in my head. still half asleep in bed, i threw in some headphones and listened to the track in this morning state where it felt even more alien and incomprehensible. I fell back asleep sometime at the end of the track when it gets spaced out.. very weird experience

Pretty sure I heard in one of their interviews that Sean is fond of Japanese home cooking (as am I).

I interpreted the title bladelores in more of a literal sense - like a legend of knights in the forest or something.

this morning i woke up with that recurring drum pattern from nodezsh in my head. still half asleep in bed, i threw in some headphones and listened to the track in this morning state where it felt even more alien and incomprehensible. I fell back asleep sometime at the end of the track when it gets spaced out.. very weird experience

I fell asleep while listening for the first time to Oversteps, and had a similar experience. It was so interesting, alien, weird, bizarre. But the feeling had an overwhelming darkness, coldness, and emptiness to it that I just couldn't fall asleep peacefully to. Had to turn it off. I think it had much to do with the lack of any rhythm or any real melody structures and the fact that's so non-human sounding. It's atonality and choas actually freaked the hell out of me haha. I think Exai would be a less disturbing album to sleep to.

Guest disoriental express

holy fuck same thing happened kinda to me with deco Loc for a couple mornings now. I dunno what it is about that innocuous track.... actually I do know kind of what it is.../

proto-tuinorizn @ 1.16.40 (last track): http://soundcloud.com/recman/26marzo2010

proto-runrepik starting @ around the 34 minute mark or so.

nice catch! the melody/atmospherics definitely seem to be rooted in the same thing if not the very same. the beat has changed a lot though...which makes me notice what about runrepik i don't much like, and a lot of it is the drums and the effects of the melody...just seems a bit too much.

i don't remember if i ever heard this set, gonna have to give the full thing a listen soon.

This set is amazing. I forgot how good it was. Not sure I ever had the patience to listen to it before but I'm so glad I have now.

Edited by thehauntingsoul