I love the film too, but it loses steam a bit at the end. One thing I've never understood is the whole insinuation/reveal of Malcolm being gay at the end...was that connected to the TV show in some way? (there is a tv show, right...?)

The scene with the general adding up the troop numbers on the kids' play calculator is one of the funnier scenes in any film...

Also...

difficult-difficult-lemon-difficult.png

Star Trek Into Darkness: weird unnecessarily convoluted plot/10

thoroughly enjoyable very expertly done action film. Not a hair of science fiction this time around, but regardless the film is extremely well put together. I feel like at this point studios are only letting someone like JJ Abrams actually take the time to finish a big budget CGI laden action movie properly. The special effects are top notch, beautiful looking. Even the 3d conversion wasn't bad. The story though was i think it's downfall. Without spoiling anything, the movie has Lindelof's fingerprints all over it. It has a lot of similar frustrating and unsatisfying 'twists' reminiscent of Prometheus.
In all though it was inferior to the previous 2009 Trek. It just has too many of the same beats, while not coming up with enough new to really put it into worthy sequel territory. I still think it's a huge wasted opportunity. Also the guy who plays Spock for some reason bugged me this time.
As far as just rating it as an action film and nothing more i'd give it an 8.5 or 9/10. As a Trek movie more like a 7/10. Go see it in the theatre if you can, the movie is pure spectacle and probably the most cutting edge big budget special effects movie I've seen to date.

Looking forward to what he puts together on Star Wars, at the very least it will be visually pleasing.

Edited by John Ehrlichman

Human Centipede Pt. II: 10/10

This. movie. was. fucking. HILARIOUS.

I tried to name one movie that I've ever seen before this that was as over the top and ridiculous in its forced, contrived nature, and I couldn't. I simply couldn't. Best comedy of the century.

Guest Mirezzi

I love the film too, but it loses steam a bit at the end. One thing I've never understood is the whole insinuation/reveal of Malcolm being gay at the end...was that connected to the TV show in some way? (there is a tv show, right...?)

The Thick of It and it is far superior to the film. I hated Gandolfini. Edited by Mirezzi

the great gatsby - 3/10

one of the worst movies i have ever seen. why the fuck do people hire topher grace? he is talentless. leo was awful in this as well. i hated the modern music in this film. i hated all the cgi. i hated the scene where leo maniacally throws clothes at daisy. the costume design was the only good thing.

The Thick of It and it is far superior to the film. I hated Gandolfini.

have you seen Veep yet? IT's not as good as either one but it's still pretty decent.

I Give It A Year - Some much awkwardness, so many dry cringe moments, i had fun. For a rom-com i'll give it 8/10 (I didnt like the ending because Rose Byrne is much better with Anna Ferris)

ps Anna Ferris is a terrible actress, lol.

Edited by Deer

Alien (1979)

watched this on blue ray last night

maybe my favorite sci fi film ever. So minimal but so effective.

I watch it at least once a year.

Edited by marf

The Thick of It and it is far superior to the film. I hated Gandolfini.

have you seen Veep yet? IT's not as good as either one but it's still pretty decent.

I've just been watching Veep, Im glad Armando Iannucci did a 'proper' American version rather than trying to fit an British programme to an American audience (If that sort of makes sense...like the American version of inbetweeners etc) I do really like it, doesn't make me laugh as hard as in the loop or the thick of it but still very good.

I saw side effects yesterday it was really good, highly recommended. Really dark with twists etc. Rooney Mara is painfully hot.

'painfully' is a good choice of words, concurred

did you get to the 2nd season of Veep yet? I think it's stronger than the 1st, the settings and scenarios get a little more sophisticated and varied. I'm crossing my fingers at some point they'll do a crossover episode, or at the very least Malcom will come to the US for an episode.

I'm not sure why but i didn't love the 4th season of Thick of It. I just couldn't get over the fact that 'the fucker' from the previous season finale just disappeared.

Edited by John Ehrlichman

Guest Mirezzi

Rust & Bone - I remember plenty of WATMMers giving this high praise and I'm baffled. I made it exactly one hour into this thing before tapping out. Cotillard's boobs in water out of 10? What a ridiculous story. A child-abusing MMA fighter and a hot but mute orca trainer sorta fall in love. Then there's some dirty, sweaty, amputee sex, and a slowmotion coin flip at illegal street brawl.

I've seen worse this year, but not much worse.

did you get to the 2nd season of Veep yet? I think it's stronger than the 1st, the settings and scenarios get a little more sophisticated and varied. I'm crossing my fingers at some point they'll do a crossover episode, or at the very least Malcom will come to the US for an episode.

I'm not sure why but i didn't love the 4th season of Thick of It. I just couldn't get over the fact that 'the fucker' from the previous season finale just disappeared.

yeah him versus malcom was looking to be fucking awesome.

this thread led to me re-watching the whole thick of it with my flatmates who havent seen it, what an unbelievable show. peter capaldi has said in interviews that malcoms ending at the end of series 4 will be the last time we ever see him, even if the thick of it continues.

Guest Jimmy McMessageboard

in time

interesting premise, below average film. some of the logic was so stupid and seemed to be just so they could have another chase. at least they didnt end on the arm wrestle.

Yeah Im on the second season now, you're right much more to the plots, really pulls you in. Yeah I would be fairly cool to do a cross over, I think they want to do a coalition one (basically the new government) so they might do something there. Yeah season 4 seemed a little tired, shame Malcolm wont be in it any more but all good things like him burn out quickly I think.

Human Centipede Pt. II: 10/10

This. movie. was. fucking. HILARIOUS.

I tried to name one movie that I've ever seen before this that was as over the top and ridiculous in its forced, contrived nature, and I couldn't. I simply couldn't. Best comedy of the century.

A Serbian Film.

nah, serbian film was "shocking", but Human Centipede literally tries to pull every single possible gross-out trope in the book to hilarious degrees, serbian film was just..uncomfortable

-the main character is a silent, fat dwarf, sexually abused by his psychiatrist

-manages somehow to repeatedly murder a dozen+ people in the parking garage he works at without any police attention

-naked lady gives birth to baby in a car and steps on it in order to drive away from the murderer

-black and white film

-dude knocks off most of his mother's head and then sits her down so they can eat dinner together (LOL)

-Injects the centipede members with laxative and then makes farting noises with his mouth as they diarrhea all over each other (LOL)

seriously guys, this shit is fucking hilarious. you get over the grossness about 20 minutes into the movie and it turns into a south-park esque extreme comedy.

which reminds me of another hilarious point: none of these victims are able to overpower or stop a 4 foot, 400 pound dude with severe asthma.

Yeah the Human Centipede 2 was a hysterical farce.

When I read about it I thought it sounded abhorrent, but it's far too ridiculous and poorly made to take seriously. Tom Six is having a chuckle if he thinks he made a work of serious horror fiction. Guy seems like a complete bellend.

was in the cinema this last month and i saw

spring breakers - another ode to mindless hedonism from korine. good, but far from his best work. nearly made me tear up during britney spears song. i'm very emotional.

stoker - park chan wook is amazing, and it shows. the movie looks beautiful. sadly, whole mystery was rather underwhelming. and as much as i liked it it was a tad disappointing.

the great gatsby - person responsible for casting the spiderman kid should be fired immediately. also the script was weirdly cut. if they removed half of the glamour shots they could easily squeeze in some substance form the book. dicaprio was great, though. and that jordan girl was so fucking beautiful. so so beautiful. but overall it's not very good. also - most pointless use of 3d in history so far?

i'm sure that some will enjoy the spectacle. But then perhaps they'll be mystafied by the second half. I'ma not watching it.

Large parts of his australia film were filmed in my hometown. If i'd been living there at the time, i perhaps could have been an extra. lol, long haired people in wartime darwin in the 40's, i doubt it. Although hats can hide many a thing. But maybe not my giant nose and non sticky outy ears.