gravity - 7.5/10 - it's quite gripping for the most part and the are scenes that are simply incredible (like when she just keeps spinning and spinning and getting more further away, and everything gets silent and the part where she picks up the radio signal from earth) but then there those enormous slabs of typical holywood cheese that ruin everything, the jump scare, cheesy zoom in on the tear (could be so much more effective without it), dream clooney, "i'm draggin you with me so i'm letting myself go" and more. when dream-clooney tells her to use the landing stuff to get to the chinese station the movie is basically over, you know that after a few more butt clenching action sequences she's gonna make it and everything's gonna be alright, the tension is lost. technically it's impeccable of course, the sound design and the visuals are 10/10.

but after all that.. 7.5?

can't possibly be worse than the Matthew Broderick version

[youtubehd]QjKO10hKtYw[/youtubehd]

this looks decent - has potential with Gareth Edwards at the helm (well, besides the usual massive studios trying to milk it for cash)

Edited by yshf

out of the furnace

comically bleak. pretty sure bruce springsteen wrote a song about christian bale's character. there's probably a video somewhere on youtube of scenes from this movie set to "blurry" by puddle of mudd.

3/10

Meloncholia 6/10

Visually stunning but lacked substance. Didn't really connect with any of the characters and nothing made any sense.

Things I found interesting in that film:

the perfect example of bloodless uncomfortable formality

the way she becomes able to know what to do at the end - the way her depression is caused by the weight of having to live a life and make choices

the awkward familial dysfunction, the selfishness

her saying 'You want to know what I think of your plan? I think it's a piece of shit' - the brutal acceptance of reality

and the ending was the perfect answer of how to cope with imminent death

Edited by hoggy

oh and the horse crossing the stream/justine getting in the bath metaphor for the trepidation and resistance you feel when you have depression, the inability to take a simple step (there's more to this idea, something like being unable to live in the role of your own life, or move forward in spite of the confusion and meaninglessness - hard to articulate precisely, but roughly that)

http://youtu.be/i3zBJcZfYQk

supposed to be v good

"Somewhere in the future there is a computer project called Simulacron one of which is able to simulate a full featured reality, when suddenly project leader Henry Vollmer dies. His successor Dr. Fred Stiller experiences odd phenomena. A good friend, Guenther Lause, disappears in the middle of a conversation and a week later nobody has ever heard of him. And those fits of dizzyness - Stiller cannot believe himself to be fool. There has to be an explanation for all this. Could Simulacron have something to do with it? "

Guest Jimmy McMessageboard

supposed to be v good

"Somewhere in the future there is a computer project called Simulacron one of which is able to simulate a full featured reality, when suddenly project leader Henry Vollmer dies. His successor Dr. Fred Stiller experiences odd phenomena. A good friend, Guenther Lause, disappears in the middle of a conversation and a week later nobody has ever heard of him. And those fits of dizzyness - Stiller cannot believe himself to be fool. There has to be an explanation for all this. Could Simulacron have something to do with it? "

description sounds great. anyone seen?

supposed to be v good

description sounds great. anyone seen?

i have. it's a little on the very long side because it's a mini-series but it's really good. a little dated at times and it's also kinda weird but definitely my favorite fassbinder film

WvQBUic.jpg

can't believe this won an oscar. it's not bad, but it's not great either. at time the jokes seem a little forced and "put on"- but i liked the characters. and lol @ mathew lillard (from hackers and scooby doo) playing a serious character.

Edited by Nebraska

jagten (the hunt)

probably the best film i've seen this year. perfect acting, economical writing, direction.

I saw it about a year ago I think and it really got me deep. One of those movies, you know, "those".

Oblivion, two attempts, one of which I was lucid during. Fell asleep both times though so I only saw the first half so far. I know this is a terrible way to watch movies.

Anyway, the world and design are super-neat. I really liked the feeling of post-apocalyptic Earth and the ultra-weird sky-condo. But the plot and characters seem to fall pretty flat unfortunately.