Guest Shit Attack

Moonrise Kingdom was just too overly cutesy poo for my tastes ( the kid got struck by lightning LOL harvey keitel dressed as a scout master LOL, the little girl listens to francoise hardy in 1965 on a portable record player LOL that is sooooooo awesome blah blah ) , basically the cinematic equivalent of an internet meme etc etc ...........you get the picture and yes i do like total bullshit

Return of the living dead - 7.5/10 - this was fun, went downhill a bit towards the end

Honest Man the life of R budd dwyer - 5.1111/10 - entertaining but not all that interesting

Annie Hall - 6.3465/10 - couple a laffs but not really all that good.

Prince Of Darkness - 7.75/10 - this scared me man , it scared me bad AND it was really stupid

Moonrise Kingdom was just too overly cutesy poo for my tastes ( the kid got struck by lightning LOL harvey keitel dressed as a scout master LOL, the little girl listens to francoise hardy in 1965 on a portable record player LOL that is sooooooo awesome blah blah ) , basically the cinematic equivalent of an internet meme etc etc ...........you get the picture and yes i do like total bullshit

well.... none of that bothered me...? it's all about where you are in life. i was more honed in on the romantic and nostalgic aspects of it. i was totally immersed, hook, line and sinker. i'm going through some complex romantic issues right now, and Moonrise Kingdom kind of swept me away connected to me on a personal level. but i also liked all of the aesthetics of the film as well. i give it a 10 out of 10 for sure, and i'm really picky.

UHF is good. it's not amazing, but it's fun. also, Michael Richards as a janitor is good in and of itself.

Guest RadarJammer

well.... none of that bothered me...? it's all about where you are in life. i was more honed in on the romantic and nostalgic aspects of it. i was totally immersed, hook, line and sinker. i'm going through some complex romantic issues right now, and Moonrise Kingdom kind of swept me away connected to me on a personal level. but i also liked all of the aesthetics of the film as well. i give it a 10 out of 10 for sure, and i'm really picky.

UHF is good. it's not amazing, but it's fun. also, Michael Richards as a janitor is good in and of itself.

Moonrise Kingdom The overindulgence in heart warming sentimental innocence was so forced it ended up feeling like being hit in the head with a blunt object. For seeming so simple and subtle on the surface it was about as subtle as a horse kicking me. A case where they took the emotional manipulation an inch too far and screwed up the muffin, as this definitely had the ingredients for a memorable film.

Yeah Moonrise ultimately lacked subtle and grey areas for it to be memorable. Anderson has a good visual eye but the characters often feel too singular making the experience feel more like a play than a film. Too many elements of it feel over-thought and stylized for the sake of it. I would be interested if Wes did a film he didn't write because then he would derive style from substance effectively. His progression and character development just feels too staged.

You can tell when you are watching a Kubrick or Hitchcock film but not in the same way as Anderson at times, where his style seems to dictate story, while for Stanley/Alfred the story dictates the story and the style amplifies the story. Lynch even does this too in a more meaningful way because his personality is always beneath the surface of the frame more than colorfully up front.

Edited by compson

yes, Wes Anderson films do indeed feel more like a play than films. Moonrise was the first of his films that i actually felt connected to, which makes me want to explore his other movies again with a different point of view.

"

Yeah Moonrise ultimately lacked subtle and grey areas for it to be memorable.

i straight up don't agree with this ! let me clarify... i agree that it lacked subtlety, because it does... but that's exactly why it was a memorable film. i don't consider myself to be any kind of a film critic, it's just about what moves you and what doesn't.

it's about where you are in life. Moonrise Kingdom happened to fall into place for me at the right time.

You can tell when you are watching a Kubrick or Hitchcock film but not in the same way as Anderson at times, where his style seems to dictate story, while for Stanley/Alfred the story dictates the story and the style amplifies the story. Lynch even does this too in a more meaningful way because his personality is always beneath the surface of the frame more than colorfully up front.

that is a great observation that i agree with, but it's only telling of their characteristics and i don't think of Wes any differently than my love for Kubrick, Hitchcock or Lynch or anyone else.

Don't misunderstand, I enjoyed it and just am reflecting on what I remember taking away from it. I used to very much enjoy everything Anderson did, the Royal Tenenbaums being my favorite because I found the characters to be understandably eccentric and odd. However I have grown somewhat tired of his repetition in writing style and compositing tricks over time and wish he would do something a bit more mature.

He needs to go outside his comfort zone more I think and then he could maybe deliver something I really love again. But for now his body of work feels too much like the same general ideas with just slightly different sets/places and characters/context. Tarantino has this problem a little bit, where its too self-conscious, but Tarantino has the never failing ability to surprise and entertain, so his work is more distinguished with these dope lines or sequences.

Edited by compson

thaqnk u sweepstakes your name is very wonderful also

why, thank you!

Wow, you just nailed why I don't care for Wes Anderson. Could never put my finger on it but this is exactly it. His movies are like stories built around massive Etsy shopping sprees.

Yeah it basically ends up feeling like some insane egotistical reflection of an OCD control freak who is mainly after an aesthetic for himself rather than a passage for communicating to others. Kind of Nazi lol

Edited by compson

moonrise kingdom - 4.2807487 /10 - pitchfork.com : the movie

halloween 3 season of the witch : 6.234872489 /10 - pretty realistic story in which the old guy from robocop steals stonehenge so he can manufacture evil irish halloween masks that will cause childrens heads to explode when they watch a particular TV advert or something. He also has an army of robot henchmen. pretty entertaining + has some nice john carpenter synthy music, needless to say halloween 4 went back to michael myers slashing people + nobody ever mentioned any of it ever again :-(

Halloween 3 creeped us the fuck out as kids, that pulsing music and the flashing lights on tv were crazy. Plus some pretty good titty sucking.

i saw Argo bout a week back in theater.. apart from the scene where they chase the plane (which was impossible and stupid) twas pretty good. i didn't know the actual story/ending so it was pretty tense :)

Biutiful - not sure what to say about this one. it is in no way a bad movie-- it's just deeply depressing and hard hitting the whole way through... guess I'm not in the state of mind to watch something so... draining :sad: