Bottle Rocket is the only wes anderson movie I've seen that places script and characters over visual aesthetics and atmosphere. I think it's probably his best film even apart from those reasons.

I agree with it being script over style but I think his style fits the Royal Tenenbaums premise too nicely for it to not be my favorite. Bottle Rocket is probably second fav tho

Edited by compson

i saw Argo bout a week back in theater.. apart from the scene where they chase the plane (which was impossible and stupid) twas pretty good. i didn't know the actual story/ending so it was pretty tense :)

I felt like Ben Affleck did everything he could to ruin a legitimately interesting story by exaggerating and warping it/making it as greasy hollywood as possible.

There are so many inaccuracies in the movie that really just make it more cheesy and less interesting imo.

tbh i have no knowledge of the real story, apart from that one scene i mentioned, it all felt pretty realistic / not holywood-bullshity at all. hmm..

The guts of it are all in the movie, but details sensationalized. Obviously the airport chase scene you mentioned never happened, because it doesn't make any sense (a guy in one end of the airport gets a call and realizes what's going on. Instead of calling the office where they are interviewing the crew he has to run from one end of the airport to the other to tell them in person).

President Carter never cancelled the mission, it was only briefly delayed before they left Europe for Iran.

The British and New Zealand embassy's didn't turn the Americans away, the Brits accommodated them for a time and then it was decided the Canadian embassy was the safest place.

Only two of the American's lived with Taylor, the rest stayed with another Canadian diplomat.

In the movie Affleck goes to Iran alone when he actually had a CBC cameraman with him.

There's other little things as well like Alan Arkins' character being completely made up, but really they aren't that big of a deal. What bothered me is that some of the thing's that were changed will have a negative effect on public opinion of Britain, New Zealand and Carter that is completely unfounded and I didn't really think that it helped the movie to make those changes. More so it just seemed to simplify the plot and characters to really cheesy film archetypes allowing Affleck to be the lone wolf agent who plays by the rules of morality and not bureaucracy...

Fwiw I'm not an expert on this at all, I just became enraged when watching that airport chase scene and went online and did a bit of research (read: wikipedia) so that I could feel self righteous. I also went in to the movie already despising Ben Affleck. So take all this with a grain of salt.

220px-Down_by_Law_%281986_film%29_poster

9/10

Great story

Great pacing

Great characters

Great music

works perfect in black & white

Tom Waits + John Lurie

I like the way John Lurie moves like a surly, lanky panther.

John Lurie:

Guest Jimmy McMessageboard

went to see skyminge by james bond, it was ok. it inspired me to get tinker tailor soldier spy and watch it again, what a wicked film : D

whilst they are both spy films, it is not really fair to compare. imagine if a bond film was as subdued as ttsp? instant flop

Guest Shit Attack

Annie Hall - 6.3465/10 - couple a laffs but not really all that good.

Annie Hall is one of the greatest films of all time

maybe it was but whats so great about it now ? most of the jokes got worn out by being shown over and over again on like "100 funniest films of all time" type things + the rest is a pretty standard romantic comedy type thing. still enjoyed watching it tho

bottle rocket - 7/10 - pretty good

beetlejuice 7.5/10 - still pretty funnnny

BAD @ 25 - 3/10 - some of it was interesting but there was far too much arselicking bad is cheesey as hell these guys were making out like it was the greatest music ever recorded or someting . if it had been off the wall or thriller maybe it woulda been less laughable . + Martin scorsese going on about how great the bad short film is was funny you could kinda tell he was a bit embarassed by it but didnt want to say .

Also Jacko was definitely a pedo

Guest Mirezzi

Yeah, Shit Attack is dead-on about Anderson / Bottle Rocket / Moonrise Kingdom.

Now that I've said that, you can all shit on me because I really enjoyed The 5 Year Engagement. It's filled with lols and I somehow managed to not hate Jason Segel.

Very little of the Apatow shit is worth watching, but this one was great. That probably has a lot to do with how personally relevant I found it; I went to grad school in a BFE town in Illinois while my wife was totally miserable waiting to start her own career.

Alas, I left because I hated academia, which probably saved my relationship and my life!

Brave, on the other hand, was a nice try but fell way short of its target. It wanted to be a girly version of How to Train Your Dragon, but instead, it was a fairly lame version of it. 6.5 out of 10, being generous.

Paranorman - way better than expected! McLovin does a great voiceover as a bully.

Watched this a couple of days ago and was also pleasantly surprised. Beautiful film and it being stop-motion made it even more impressive.

Fake PM to the Overlook: As resident guy with Jack Torrance avatar, which version of The Shining do you prefer? Extended American cut or streamlined UK cut?

I haven't seen the UK version, but I'm trying to test a hypothesis that people prefer the version they saw initially.

Also, there is a Kubrick exhibit at LACMA which I might be interested in seeing only for some of the still/production photos. Anyone gone? Is it a total circle-jerk? Looks like it's screening Barry Lyndon this Saturday.

Edited by baph

Guest Jimmy McMessageboard

Also, there is a Kubrick exhibit at LACMA which I might be interested in seeing only for some of the still/production photos. Anyone gone? Is it a total circle-jerk? Looks like it's screening Barry Lyndon this Saturday.

yeah saw it few weeks back. exhaustive is the word i would use. you could spend a day in there.

but damn me if it isn't one of the best space movies of the last ten years or more...

are there even space movies being made at all? all i can think of in last 5 years is this and christams on mars by wayne coyne. and i think it tries a bit too hard to be sad. and the music doesn't help. it's an enviroment more suitable for something like mutilation colony by squarepusher, the computerized ambience pieces, rather than pathos of clint mansell who always goes for the most cheap emotions.

have you seen this?

poster-xlarge.jpg