dawn of the planet of the apes - as a visual spectacle it's good enough, really tight and well made in all regards. but it's just predictable as shallow as hell. they do absolutely nothing interesting with the whole concept except use it as an excuse for good cgi showmanship where the idea is to try to make apes as an overemotional and overexpressive version of humans with little subtleties. the apes could have been any human tribe involved in a war with a slightly more modernized human tribe and the whole film "engine" could be summarized as "there are assholes and there are good guys in every tribe". bummer, cos i kinda expected more from it, the first one was more interesting.

Edited by eugene

Barbarella

Amazing/10....would consider it one of my top fav's if it wasn't for the lengthy spews of dialog trying to get the story across, if it had just stuck to the insane visual sequences it would be an all round winner.

Koyaanisqatsi

Life Affirming/10...a must watch if you haven't seen...all the better on mind altering substances, however it does that in itself so not necessary...the Philip Glass score alone is worth it

The Brood

Not enough/10...really holds back on the gore and the shocks till the very end...could have had way more throughout...

Killer Joe

Not the best/10....doesn't really get into 2nd gear until the very end and it doesn't really get that black comedy effect as well as other films have done, but still nice to see Friedkin making movies

Blood Sport

Who doesn't like Blood Sport?!/10

boyhood - this is not a movie that explores growing in depth but a power point presentation with bullet points for significant events in the kid's life. also there's 0.0000003% chance that a character like mason would dock with girls that he did irl. ethan hawke was good though.

i found this review from imbd to capture well what i think about it:

"Boyhood" Hits all the Marks and Still Misses

"Boyhood" is a critical darling, and that's putting it mildly. It has a nice, non-controversial family, and it presents every "coming of age" childhood milestone at least once. Thus, it has no focus. The technique, filming the movie over 12 years with the same actors, is an interesting experiment in film. However, its technique gets in the way of quality story telling and substance. Trying something innovative does not mean the film should get a pass and automatically get raves.

In the film there's one bullying event, one break up, one drunken night with the guys, one of everything, like a sample platter at Golden Corral. There was even one non-white character in the film. Moreover, there is no follow up on any of the events. What is so masterful about that? The film has a series of disconnected events in a boys life that had no focus. "Growing up" is not a plot, no matter how many people are fooled into believing it is. The dialogue was contrived. It's as if every line from teenage Mason was taken from a Smith's song. As I was watching, I couldn't help thinking, "Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now " At least the film didn't have an out of place tragedy like a "Girlfriend in a Coma." Yes, I wanted to stop him, for I had heard that one before. Morrissey does pathos better and with him we don't have to suffer through two hours of pretentiousness.

Mason was too confident about his misery. His dialogue we pre-packaged, as if he was reciting a script, not living in the moment. The film features a series of moments, a few interesting ones, but mostly tiresome first world problems from an uninteresting boy and family. As a film buddy of mine stated, "the film could have been called 'The Discreet Charm of the Petite Bourgeoisie.' " However, it wasn't charming, nor funny, nor revelatory or original like the Buñuel classic.

With the exception of Ethan Hawke, who, to be fair, had the best dialogue in the film, the acting was mediocre. Perhaps filming the movie over 12 years made it hard for the actors to stay sharp and focused on their characters, so the acting was uneven throughout. There was nothing of note in the music, other than the cliché' of highlighting the passage of time with a hit song in various scenes. It was cute at first, then it became tiresome.

Rating: Rent it

If your sister, mother, brother or friend wants to see it, you can watch it together and not upset anyone with confusing events like actual poverty and unexpected occurrences like black people appearing on the screen. Moreover, you can talk during the film because there is no need to really pay close attention while it is playing. You won't miss anything. Otherwise, see the infinitely better "The Way Way Back" if you want to see a cute coming of age movie.

This movie has already risen into the pantheon of overrated movies, even before it wins some undeserved Oscars. It was style over substance. If I had to describe this film in one word, other than overrated, it would be "trite."

Peace, Tex Shelters

nightcrawler 6.5/10

the score is abysmal. completely distracts from some pretty cool shots performances.

Damn, I was really looking forward to this.

saw it with two friends. one of which felt the exact same about the score and one who didn't notice anything and was sufficiently creeped out by it. it's entertaining i think. 6.5/10 isn't that bad of a score is it? ;)

boyhood - this is not a movie that explores growing in depth but a power point presentation with bullet points for significant events in the kid's life. also there's 0.0000003% chance that a character like mason would dock with girls that he did irl. ethan hawke was good though.

i found this review from imbd to capture well what i think about it:

"Boyhood" Hits all the Marks and Still Misses

"Boyhood" is a critical darling, and that's putting it mildly. It has a nice, non-controversial family, and it presents every "coming of age" childhood milestone at least once. Thus, it has no focus. The technique, filming the movie over 12 years with the same actors, is an interesting experiment in film. However, its technique gets in the way of quality story telling and substance. Trying something innovative does not mean the film should get a pass and automatically get raves.In the film there's one bullying event, one break up, one drunken night with the guys, one of everything, like a sample platter at Golden Corral. There was even one non-white character in the film. Moreover, there is no follow up on any of the events. What is so masterful about that? The film has a series of disconnected events in a boys life that had no focus. "Growing up" is not a plot, no matter how many people are fooled into believing it is. The dialogue was contrived. It's as if every line from teenage Mason was taken from a Smith's song. As I was watching, I couldn't help thinking, "Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now " At least the film didn't have an out of place tragedy like a "Girlfriend in a Coma." Yes, I wanted to stop him, for I had heard that one before. Morrissey does pathos better and with him we don't have to suffer through two hours of pretentiousness.

Mason was too confident about his misery. His dialogue we pre-packaged, as if he was reciting a script, not living in the moment. The film features a series of moments, a few interesting ones, but mostly tiresome first world problems from an uninteresting boy and family. As a film buddy of mine stated, "the film could have been called 'The Discreet Charm of the Petite Bourgeoisie.' " However, it wasn't charming, nor funny, nor revelatory or original like the Buñuel classic.With the exception of Ethan Hawke, who, to be fair, had the best dialogue in the film, the acting was mediocre. Perhaps filming the movie over 12 years made it hard for the actors to stay sharp and focused on their characters, so the acting was uneven throughout. There was nothing of note in the music, other than the cliché' of highlighting the passage of time with a hit song in various scenes. It was cute at first, then it became tiresome.

Rating: Rent itIf your sister, mother, brother or friend wants to see it, you can watch it together and not upset anyone with confusing events like actual poverty and unexpected occurrences like black people appearing on the screen. Moreover, you can talk during the film because there is no need to really pay close attention while it is playing. You won't miss anything. Otherwise, see the infinitely better "The Way Way Back" if you want to see a cute coming of age movie.

This movie has already risen into the pantheon of overrated movies, even before it wins some undeserved Oscars. It was style over substance. If I had to describe this film in one word, other than overrated, it would be "trite."Peace, Tex Shelters

I'd have to agree, that was some by-the -numbers shit

Guest Atom Dowry Firth

Radio 1 Rescores Drive

Zero real human beans/10. I have no idea why this exists. First time I think I've ever laughed out loud while cringing at the same time

Barbarella

Amazing/10

Word!

6Q8Zlj3.jpg

8/10 - great pre-apocalypse movie about the final hours before the end. don't watch the trailer though, shows pretty much the entire movie.

Well the poster shows what happens at the end of the film, so that spoils the whole, "will they make it out, please lord let them live, i want an affirmation to your grace, don't kill them i beg of you."

They should have gotten roland emmerich to direct it, he would have saved them.

I watched The Poughkeepsie Tapes because watmm recommended it.

0.5 / 10 total shit.

Very special extra 0.5 points for implying that the documentary maker was actually the killer.