Nightmares ('83) Horror anthology film. worth watching to see what Tron would've been like if it starred a punk rocking, arcade hustling Emilio Estevez and a dream sequence featuring Lars Henrikson as a priest being menaced by a goat and throwing an acidic space-snake. or something.

Ha, I've seen this and have no idea why, probably because Estevez in it. The demon jeep thing bursting out the ground was awesome, I draw a blank on the rest.

Oh yeah!

Forgot the Henrikson one turns into a mini version of Duel, complete with aforementioned suprise subterranean jeep attack.

Chinatown (because of this thread)

Yah, defo 10/10

I loved the part where Michael Jackson comes out and starts to punch Whoopi Goldberg cuz she was breakdancing too hard wit dem Chinamen.

The Loved Ones, mainly because of it somehow blagging its way into the BFI top 10 horror films post-2000. It's not good, the dinner scene at the end of Texas Chainsaw is ripped off and moved to the beginning, the characters have no depth and there is a sub-plot that seems like it was left on the cutting room floor of an even worse film. Afterwards I was so angry I sent a tweet to the BFI guy who wrote the article saying that the film "is proper rubbish mate". I eagerly await his reply.

Edited by tec

Why? She's fucked up, her Dad is fucked up, cue the torture, it was so boring.

I didn't even feel like the people who made the movie had much faith in it, every scene that was supposed to be powerful they drowned in slow motion and ridiculous rock music. And the sub-plot, besides some unlikely link with her missing brother, was utterly pointless.

Edited by tec

fair enough, it's been a few years since I saw it. I guess you are a harder task master.

recently watched:

MV5BMTMyNjYxNjkxNV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwNDQ5

Oh man, this was so awesomely awful.

Rutger Hauer is Harley Stone, a non-rule playing cop who doesn't play by the rules. He's on the trail of a killer who may not be human. The killer offed his partner a year ago and now he's running on nothing but 'anxiety, coffee and chocolate' trying to track said killer down in a dystopian London in the futuristic year of 2008.

My favorite bit was the second scene where two 'detectives' do an awkward as fuck exposition scene. Explaining all the back story like a couple of 5th year drama students rehearsing a play.

from 10:20

http://youtu.be/_LsrYqmV90Y

Edited by hello spiral

Flirting with Disaster - awesome, best comedy I've seen in a while! David O really knows how to make a solid feel-good movie. Great cast. Relatable characters. Weird screwball storyline. I loved it.

Bernie - excellent character study by Jack Black, based on a true story, 9/10

Captain Philllips - same as above but with Tom Hanks, moving ending,10/10

Gravity - nice looking cornball wank, 6/10

rewatched edge of tomorrow in proper quality (the previous time was some lame korsub rip or something), it's really fucking good. the pacing-editing-direction is on edgar wright level, so fluid and constantly engaging and fun. even the inevitable romantic moments were handled very well, without hammed in sentimentality and soap. a really good example of big budget being handled well.

The Town That Dreaded Sundown - A wholesome slasher film, maybe Zodiac for religious people. The killer is quite endearing as it shows him sneaking around the cars on lovers lane which rarely happens in these, and he's quite inventive with a trombone. Contains scenes of drag that wouldn't look out of place in a Carry On film. 3/5.

a bit offtopic but i just wanted to point out how good the redesign of rotten tomatoes is. everything is so clean and visible and accessible and well organized, kinda surprising amongst the the trend of horrible redesigns of your most frequented websites.

yes, sorry for not giving any feedback, but that's because i wasn't that impressed with it really. it just seemed very hollow and i didn't understand the reasons behind those choices, keeping things intentionally very minimal (even the actual fighting scenes are only hinted at), i just didn't get why. the actual meeting with the princess is the only part when it got really interesting and more fleshed out. it looked gorgeous though, talking terrnace malick days of heaven-level cinematography lushness.

watched another mads flick in the meanwhile though - pusher 2, that was really intense and greatly acted.

I know what you mean. Mad's character really clicked with me, to a level that I was completely absorbed, emotionally, in his situation. I guess it's not really easy to relate to characters like his, especially in a movie as sparse and grim like this one. But it totally worked for me and I loved it, I was on the edge of my seat from first minute to the last. Yeah, I should probably stop recommending this movie :)

41ccb683843f760e695cf455b79c531f.jpg

the classic tale of "you killed my entire kung-fu gym full of friends and family so i'll get you back one day" done in a super theatrical and pajama clad manner. this happens to the dude (on the cover) so he goes to the famed shaolin temple where he gets to learn "real" kung-fu in a mechanically robotic, yet humorously effective, routine.

lots of ass kicking ensues until? the end

Edited by Nebraska

I agree with you on Bernie but disagree with Captain Phillips. It lacks character development instead relying on cheap quick references like oh he has a mug with his family on, he must be a family man. As a result much of the suspense fell flat with me and I was left feeling like it didn't quite deliver as much as it could have. I liked gravity but felt the same in terms of lack of character development plus I'm sure if you went onto a space station and started punching random buttons you would actually have some serious issues.

I agree with you on Bernie but disagree with Captain Phillips. It lacks character development instead relying on cheap quick references like oh he has a mug with his family on, he must be a family man. As a result much of the suspense fell flat with me and I was left feeling like it didn't quite deliver as much as it could have. I liked gravity but felt the same in terms of lack of character development plus I'm sure if you went onto a space station and started punching random buttons you would actually have some serious issues.

Yeah especially if the manual was in fucking Chinese?! Also she crash landed like 3 feet away from the shore - how lucky was that? Not just the fact that she didn't have to swim far, but she wasn't killed on impact landing in such shallow water.

Take your point about character development in Captain Phillips - I think Tom Hanks just does a good job at portraying the everyman you can relate to. I've since read a few bits from the real Captain Phillips, he seems a bit more of a gung-ho prick by comparison.