Limitless

Surprisingly entertaining/10

Really had low expectations going into this, but it's actually pretty great as far as modern blockbusters go! Really cool use of CGI/visuals, snappy script and Bradley Cooper was prettttty decent!

^my old lady's got me watching them since i've never seen them all the way through. still have the last one to go. silly, but holds up pretty well.

anyways this trailer's been floating around for a few days now.

looks like it has potential. i realize it's disney and is probably targeted at a younger audience, but from what i've seen brad bird is quite good at making movies with broad appeal.

Rubber

Started interesting but just went too far and milked the idea dry...too cool for it's own good. Had the potential to be great...but sadly nope

Disappointing/10

^my old lady's got me watching them since i've never seen them all the way through. still have the last one to go. silly, but holds up pretty well.

anyways this trailer's been floating around for a few days now.

looks like it has potential. i realize it's disney and is probably targeted at a younger audience, but from what i've seen brad bird is quite good at making movies with broad appeal.

So it's another movie based on some Disneyland attraction and it has Damon "BRILLIANT" Lindelof as a writer. Reminds me of Bioshock, the whole retro looking logo and aesthetic of some hidden utopia. But I guess that was borrowed from the Tomorrowland theme parks. Art imitating art.

two days, one night - another punch in the gut by dardenne bros. basically all of their movies are the same (the 4 i've seen at least): take a serious social topic that needs honest representation on film which is hard to do with documentary and present it in the most honest and realistic way via feature - the results are always devastating and incredibly well acted. this time it's about a woman who needs to convince her coworkers to vote for her to keep her job instead of getting a bonus and laying her off. there were a few times where i had to pause the film to catch a breath, and i just kept watching the credits till the end with its industrial ambience when the film ended. emotional cleansing. 10/10.

Frank, nice one, liked how it progressed very naturally while maintaining its quirkiness. I think a lot of musicians around here, including me, can find some similarity with at least one of the characters, especially with their faults. 8/10

Just watched "The Act of Killing" which is an insanely surreal documentary about the killings of the communists in Indonesia in 1965-66.

Highly recommend.

One of the weirdest watches of my life, for sure.

The Hurt Locker and Zero Dark Thirty - I've been a fan of Bigelow since K-19, but these just get better with each viewing. I am sucked in completely from the first moment.

Godzilla (the new one) - Well presented, not a huge fan of CGI-heavy movies but it's sorta well done in this one. I didn't expect anything good but found it an enjoyable ride, and occasionally surprisingly good acting by Walter- I mean Bryan Cranston, and Ken Watanabe. There's something weird about fantastical movies and the rule of plausibility, I bought almost everything but found myself cringing at the idea of the monsters "eating radiation" and wondered how that dude could survive such a long fall into water without breaking every bone in his body. It felt like some of the disaster footage hit too close to home, with recent catastrophies in the news, like it was too audacious of them to make it so realistic-looking. The soundtrack is excellent, love that big, live but extremely close-up orchestral sound.

Edited by chim

The Hurt Locker and Zero Dark Thirty - I've been a fan of Bigelow since K-19, but these just get better with each viewing. I am sucked in completely from the first moment.

totally agree with Zero Dark Thirty!

have kinda not liked it after first view, but watched again like three times, it's fantastic.

gotta rewatch Hurt locker now..

Requiem For A Dream: it is very easy to me to... well I wouldn't say I feel empathy, I wouldn't say I put myself in the character's mind, but rather than when I identify with something in a film I find it very easy to, I dunno, take it personally I guess? This is a problem cause it prevents me from judging feels objectively or detaching myself from them. Reading this the conclussion I get is that I'm really fucking egotistical (shit, I even turned this review from a movie to a post about myself, I just can't stop :catnope: )

What I wanted to say is that while the first half of the movie is great; it really sucked me in, it just gets too ridiculous halfway through, starting with the trip to Florida. I just couldn't take it seriously from there. The first part felt real, but then It's like these characters are purposefully making these awful decisions just so the movie can be bleaker and darker... It doesn't feel real from there on. I guess this is a result of cramming the whole novel into 90 minutes (haven't read it), and as a result the protagonists' downward spirals feel very rushed. Like, very rushed. It felt really short though, which is good. At least it's entertaining. Not the best, visually, I guess...? Meh. 6/10

Edited by ThatSpanishGuy

James Cameron, much like Ridley Scott, is a genius:

Ever since it was announced that Arnold Schwarzenegger will return for "Terminator Genisys," he's been saying that he'll be able to play the Terminator again because the robot's skin actually ages.

Now comes word that the idea behind this came from James Cameron, who spoke about the reboot/sequel while celebrating the franchise's 30th anniversary. "I pointed out that the outer covering [of the Terminator] was actually not synthetic, that it was organic and therefore could age," he explained. "You could theoretically have a Terminator that was sent back in time, missed his target, and ended up just kind of living on in society. Because he is a learning computer and has a brain as a central processor, he could actually become more human as he went along without getting discovered."

BRILLIANT!

James Cameron, much like Ridley Scott, is a genius:

Ever since it was announced that Arnold Schwarzenegger will return for "Terminator Genisys," he's been saying that he'll be able to play the Terminator again because the robot's skin actually ages.

Now comes word that the idea behind this came from James Cameron, who spoke about the reboot/sequel while celebrating the franchise's 30th anniversary. "I pointed out that the outer covering [of the Terminator] was actually not synthetic, that it was organic and therefore could age," he explained. "You could theoretically have a Terminator that was sent back in time, missed his target, and ended up just kind of living on in society. Because he is a learning computer and has a brain as a central processor, he could actually become more human as he went along without getting discovered."

BRILLIANT!

Could be good your next door neighbor could be a terminator mowing the lawn