Guest kymppinetti

i just watched 'one flew over the cuckoo's nest'. what a brilliant film, have many laughs while watching it. it have like a slice of life type of story: there wasn't really any goals in it, we just get to watch every day lifes of these crazy men.

loved the ending, i was hoping it would not end good.

Guest kymppinetti

Whiplash was okey. Liked really much J.K. Simmons performans. Made me think OZ all over again, I was waiting gay raping but no.

Saw it twice in two days... I've never done that with any movie. The last scene is completely mad.

9,5/10 yes THAT good.

haha yeah it was pretty mad. my hackles were all up, and i was tapping my dick really hard.

wait what? i mean i was tapping table on a beat, while the guy was playing that solo part. lol misspelled that part.

Guest kymppinetti

I really didn't like that kid from Whiplash. He could have been Shia LeBeuf and Mark Zuckerberg's love child.

His performance was somewhat really annoying. I dunno if it was that character or the actor. No kidding: I was waiting that jazz teacher to rape him.

Mad Max II

HUMUNGUS/10

Interesting movie. But I hated that little kid. His presence adds nothing in the movie. The only scene where he has some 'effect' was his introduction scene. After that he just hangs around and annoys people. Even at the end of the movie where they make it seems like he's getting some purpose it doesn't pay off. Why so much focus on that kid? I also hated his face. Fuck that kid.

:catrage:

Land of the Minotaur - Got this in some "Drive-In Classics" type DVD collection. You'd think a movie with Peter Cushing and Donald Pleasance with a score by Brian Eno would be amazing but it was very poorly directed. Score was great though.

Cold in July - 7/10

Was a decent enough film but I can't work out why it was called Cold in July? WTF does that have to do with anything? Probably me missing something obvious.

Mad Max II

HUMUNGUS/10

Interesting movie. But I hated that little kid. His presence adds nothing in the movie. The only scene where he has some 'effect' was his introduction scene. After that he just hangs around and annoys people. Even at the end of the movie where they make it seems like he's getting some purpose it doesn't pay off. Why so much focus on that kid? I also hated his face. Fuck that kid.

:catrage:

http://www.moviesoundclips.net/sound.php?id=61

"Two days ago I saw a vehicle that'd haul that tanker. You wanna get outta here? You talk to me."

Bitter Lake by Adam Curtis

This is on iPlayer. It's an awful, awful, awful propaganda piece. There's some IDMs, vaporwave and interesting footage. It's a while since I watched it but it irritated me so much that i need to get this shiz out.

In the intro he explains how 'those in power' blur the truth by confusing everyone but he really doesn't take that idea any further because that's actually, in my opinion, HIS tactic and he starts with that so naive people will let their guard down. It's crazy to actually outline your own method of deception before doing it but I guess it works. There's a total lack of narrative consistency, many stark contradictions, and in the end it doesn't add up at all and he half-heartedly says something like "so there's kind of a link because what is happening there is similar to what those people wanted over there". He doesn't in any way prove anything he was implying throughout the documentary and doesn't even strongly state it, so in the end, and I suspected it was going that way early on, he's simply done precisely what he describes in the intro. If it was just an unbiased presentation of events then that would be kind of OK, but he promises to offer clarity when actually what he carefully chooses to present us with is blatantly manipulative and intentionally muddled.

This documentary is designed to keep people in their BBC bubble. It's entirely focussed on American foreign policy and war efforts in the middle east with the only reference to British involvement being brief sections about weapons trade and other business (which is fine isn't it? of course we want to make money! Doesn't mention how we really do that though). Every 20 minutes or so he says something coarsely dramatic about Middle-eastern figures like "And then he MACHINE GUNNED them all.". He doesn't mention Pakistan once in relation to the Taliban (fuck knows why but that is a pretty massive omission when he's supposedly explaining it all). There is actually a LOT of Britain themed footage in this documentary though, and pretty much all of it is reeeally cutesy, nostalgic/comforting and almost completely irrelevant. This documentary isn't designed to educate...its only purpose is to make leftie British audience feel cosy and satisfied.

Edited by tauboo

just checked and it got a good review in Guardian and all the reader comments lapping it up (they all think he's a genius)

it's hilarious

Edited by tauboo

Guest bitroast

adam curtis is a moron, makes pretty pictures though

adam curtis is a moron?

only recently seen century of the self and i quite liked it!

adam curtis is a moron?

he's a good film maker, but his arguments never hold any water (though I haven't seen that one). he's basically a highbrow michael moore.

adam curtis is a moron?

he's a good film maker, but his arguments never hold any water (though I haven't seen that one). he's basically a highbrow michael moore.

but a lot of michael moore's arguments held water and still do, not really sure if the statement 'his arguments never hold any water' was meant to be taken literally or not, since its clearly not correct with Curtis or even low brow Michael Moore. They both make logical leaps and leave out pieces....all documentary filmmakers do that.

Edited by John Ehrlichman

adam curtis is a moron?

but a lot of michael moore's arguments held water and still do, not really sure if the statement 'his arguments never hold any water' was meant to be taken literally or not, since its clearly not correct with Curtis or even low brow Michael Moore. They both make logical leaps and leave out pieces....all documentary filmmakers do that.

Do you agree with Curtis' narratives? Maybe you don't but this is what baffles me, he's somehow loved by left-wing folk, even though he's directly contradicting their beliefs (I guess a lot of it matches up when it's straight-up presentation of events that lefties care about but his analysis of it doesn't).. which I think is clever and intentional but.. are people just not really paying close attention or what?

it was meant to be taken literally, and not only are they both guilty of rhetorical failures, but outright deception.

a most violent year - very solid in all regards, pretty original and interesting topic to follow. this is by the guy who made the margin call, and it's just as classy and thoughtful.