I'm sorry, Prometheus was a complete pile of barnyard animal shit. Piles of barnyard animal shit that is as wide as it is tall. That stretches as far as the human eye can see. So basically all you are seeing is barnyard animal shit.

but, whatevs.

I'm sorry, Prometheus was a complete pile of barnyard animal shit. Piles of barnyard animal shit that is as wide as it is tall. That stretches as far as the human eye can see. So basically all you are seeing is barnyard animal shit.

but, whatevs.

nah, it's really very good.

It's a shame there's so few decent high-concept science fiction films, it's not like there's a shortage of decent stories, hollywood screenwriters are mostly completely useless these days when it comes to original ideas so I've no idea why we've not managed to see an adaptation of some Iain M Banks or something.

Alien/s and Blade Runner were great movies, but a lot of our fondness for them has a nostalgic element to it I think, they're really nothing special plot-wise, and are filled with clichés and the silly character behaviours Prometheus gets accused of (hell, in the case of Aliens that's why it's so great). Maybe it's just a hard problem to fix in 90-120 minutes without relying on clunky exposition and other narrative flaws. 2001 got away with it by saying pretty much nothing explicitly, but only a genius like Kubrick is able to pull that off. Maybe this kind of thing would be better suited to tv treatment? Battlestar Gallactica was a decent stab at it, Caprica started off poorly but was actually starting to get interesting when they cancelled it.

I just saw Interstellar last night. I thought it was legitimately good. Surprising, because I've thought the last 3-4 Nolan films have been pretty bad. However, I thought it was a beautiful film (both thematically & visually). Good job, Nolan.

The only questions I have are:

If their craft can land & take off from any of these planets they explore, why do they have to use a traditional NASA rocket to launch it off earth into space in the first place?

Other than that though, I can't really think of any complaints/plot holes, while I can think of several dozen for Inception & the Batmen films.

Also Prometheus is a giant punch bowl filled with cinematic excrement.

The only questions I have are:

If their craft can land & take off from any of these planets they explore, why do they have to use a traditional NASA rocket to launch it off earth into space in the first place?

Other than that though, I can't really think of any complaints/plot holes, while I can think of several dozen for Inception & the Batmen films.

The obvious answer is to preserve the magic future fuel for exploring, as it turned out they could've done with some more, so it was a pretty good call to use the rocket to begin with. That said there was a pretty big plot hole...

Time travel is nonsense, so the whole 'They' being McConnaghey thing was ridiculous (it's an acausal loop). Pretty much all films with time travel in them make this mistake though, so I'm not going to get too hung up about it.

Also Prometheus is a giant punch bowl filled with cinematic excrement.

Those guys are dumb, also assholes. The star trek thing they did was funny, but not seen anything worthwhile from them since that.

Those guys are dumb, also assholes. The star trek thing they did was funny, but not seen anything worthwhile from them since that.

So are these twats. doublenames question answered by said twats. God Prometheus...just. go. away....

[youtubehd]GpEx7pdp2-Q[/youtubehd]

Haha, the argument of the century.

But no, seriously... it was.

It was so bad. Shockingly bad. I always feel like burning down the place when I remember that movie. It's an insult to an otherwise great (not counting Resurrection and the AvP movies) movie franchise.

go watch AvP again, in a lot of ways its actually a better film than Prometheus. at least it's not trying to be some bullshit failure heady religious bullshit, it's just yo Predators had a pyramid in antarctica and we're gonna go check it out, and oh whoops they hatched a bunch of aliens to use the humans as hosts to have a big mele again. end of plot.

A Walk Among The Tombstones 6/10

Neeson as a PI looking for a pair of creepy misfits who are so far gone they make redruth and boris look like well adjusted members of society. They're on a killing rampage where they kidnap the wife of drug dealers, demand a ransom of 1million, then kill her anyway. Neeson is compelled to try and stop the rot and face his own demons. It's OK but a little too many cliches.

The Equalizer 7/10

A bit far fetched, good action and evil baddie and a sweet ass fight to the death in Homebase at the end where Denzel shows his Rambo style prowess. Antoine Fuqua in da house.

The obvious answer is to preserve the magic future fuel for exploring, as it turned out they could've done with some more, so it was a pretty good call to use the rocket to begin with. That said there was a pretty big plot hole...

Time travel is nonsense, so the whole 'They' being McConnaghey thing was ridiculous (it's an acausal loop). Pretty much all films with time travel in them make this mistake though, so I'm not going to get too hung up about it.

Well with THAT one I'd explain it thusly...

There were two "they". One was the girl's ghost who was McConnaghey, and the OTHER were future humans or extra dimensional beings that existed outside of time. Thus they were able to create that space where Matt M. could manipulate gravity, and create the wormhole, but they were not actually able to manipulate it themselves. That makes a kind of sense.

Also if they exist outside of time, then there's no Back To The Future style acausal loop shit, it's within their abilities.

Guest kymppinetti

It's been a while since I watched Instellar. I wonder why I didn't make a review about it back then. But I think now it's a right time to do it, cause there seems to be few others too who have seen it.

First of all I hated it. Just after the film, I had to talk to my friend about it. I felt anguish, tired, I had to talk about it with somebody. The whole movie experience was like somebody was forcing me to do something: I kept looking it, although I didn't want to. You may ask why I didn't quit watching it. Funny thing, the movie kept it interest high enough to keep going.

So why it was so bad? I would love to like it, but I can't. The characters were so dull and boring, as if I had seen them in every hollywood film. To be honest, I don't even quite remember those characters, what they were like: they didn't have anything to be remembered for.

The plot? I was face palming at the end. I was waiting to see some salvation, but no. Instance the end was this all-seen-happy crap. Yippee everything is going to be okey. I'm not a melancholic person, I just hate to see endings like that: you can't develop the story further after seeing it. This, I think, is the worst thing ever. ''Oh but it was interesting. There was science and stuff.'' Science is why I kep watching it. There was some wacky and cool ideas, but hell no they knew how to use them.

Don't get me wrong, I will try to watch Instellar again. I would be fun to prove myself that I'm wrong. But I'm pessimistic, would this movie give me any good.

Total Recall (1990) - First time watching this since childhood. It's amazing how remakes of movies from the 80s & 90s manage strip away every ounce of humor or wit from the source material (See also: Nightmare on Elm Street). This flick ain't Kubrick or anything, but at least it feels like it was made by people and not an algorithm.

Edited by doublename

The Grey (2012) - Expected another Liam Neeson shitfest, but was actually pleasantly surprised. Yes it was a pretty ridiculous plot (wolves picking off people one-by-one trope), but it managed to work for me. I was able to forgive the use of the shitty cg wolves in between the use of animatronic ones. The script tried to touch on bigger things, which elevated it above the normal action/disaster flick. Somewhat nihilistic actually.

Liam Neeson's Irish accent/10

The whole movie experience was like somebody was forcing me to do something: I kept looking it, although I didn't want to.

this is how i felt too- but i think because it's science fiction (my favorite genre) and because it was hyped as having realistic science representation and great sfx, it forced me to stick through it.

another thing i noticed is in many of the scenes where the sfx was being used, i still couldn't see things clearly, especially in the scene where cooper wakes up at the cooper station and looks out the window- the scene was very unfocused to me.

Guest kymppinetti

The whole movie experience was like somebody was forcing me to do something: I kept looking it, although I didn't want to.

this is how i felt too- but i think because it's science fiction (my favorite genre) and because it was hyped as having realistic science representation and great sfx, it forced me to stick through it.

another thing i noticed is in many of the scenes where the sfx was being used, i still couldn't see things clearly, especially in the scene where cooper wakes up at the cooper station and looks out the window- the scene was very unfocused to me.

We have a same mind then. There were lot of scene wich didn't make any sense. I mean they were there in the screen, but you couldn't put any finger on it.

Well with THAT one I'd explain it thusly...

There were two "they". One was the girl's ghost who was McConnaghey, and the OTHER were future humans or extra dimensional beings that existed outside of time. Thus they were able to create that space where Matt M. could manipulate gravity, and create the wormhole, but they were not actually able to manipulate it themselves. That makes a kind of sense.

Also if they exist outside of time, then there's no Back To The Future style acausal loop shit, it's within their abilities.

I know there were two 'they', but that doesn't get around the acausal loop paradox. To exist out of time they first needed to evolve into that state from their prior human selves, which wasn't possible without McConaghey finding the co-ords in the ghost message (because that's what unlocked the fancy theory of everything), but that was just him, and he can't cause himself to do something from the future if that thing requires his having caused it. Time travel is kind-of allowed under general relativity, but you can't interact with anything within your own past light-cone.

re interstellar

i've read an interesting theory without any causal paradoxes, it involves 3 timelines where in the first one the humanity does actually go extinct and it's the robots who open the wormhole in the past and so on: http://www.reddit.com/r/movies/comments/2lrewv/interstellar_explained_massive_spoilers/clxhtm6