Guest kymppinetti

'shutter island' was really nice 5/5. the mood was razor sharp for the whole film. dicaprio done a excellent job as always.

The Conspiracy - What if all the 9/11 truthers weren't talking bollocks? I really enjoyed this horror mockumentary as I'm fascinated by cults, if you are too give it a go.

The Conspiracy - What if all the 9/11 truthers weren't talking bollocks? I really enjoyed this horror mockumentary as I'm fascinated by cults, if you are too give it a go.

is that the fake documentary about the guys who go to a bohemian grove esque thing at the end? I thought parts of it were really great, some of it was a little heavy handed/cheesy like the one guy wanting to go do a Zietgiesty self sustainable compound. They mixed a little bit too much together about the conspiracy world but i thought it was surprisingly well done.

disclaimer: and most 9/11 truthers in reality are by default (at least on 9/11) talking less bollocks than non truthers

Edited by John Ehrlichman

the first 3 times i saw Mulholland i must have fallen asleep right before the end because on the 3rd viewing I remembered 'dreaming' about a scene where Naomi watts was masturbating and crying while a literal miniature elderly couple gleefully giggled on the floor. Upon 4th viewing i realized it was not a dream but actually part of the movie, Lol Lynch

The coffee-scene is up there for stressness and pure unadulterated fear in such a bizarre context.....

Lynch is a genius at tension & weirdness, no films since Inland Empire has been like the longest wait for a junky's fix doe

Mulholland Drive is one of those films that is impressive because it's a trip within itself, making you feel like a conspiracy theorist sleuthing inadvertent genius by putting tons of puzzle pieces in your head with loose connections. I've watched it several times, and I've found what I believe to be "the true story" that I haven't read about or watched in analysis of the film. I was gonna do a writeup or make a video about it, but then I realized that the idea of doing so made me want to punch myself in the dick-- I just imagined aaall the absolutely retarded YouTube comments from people who think The Expendables 2 is masterful filmmaking. But maybe what I've found is so straightforward that it's obvious? I dunno-- but I did watch the film on nights when I was up for a few days after weeks of "staying up modafinil experiments", and it got to the point where I was watching the film, and the fourth wall basically vanished. The film pulled me in and became a direct part of my perception, as if I was imagining it or something like that. But there are reeeally subtle hints with stuff on tables, usage of color, shit like that. It's one of those films that's so well directed and put together, that there are separate and meaningful experiences from watching the film with sound and without. Note: at this time, I also spent 7~9 hours or so watching The Lone Ranger, ONCE, and I came to the conclusion that it's a cinematic masterpiece (not gonna give further enlightenment to Buddha, but it's crafted almost perfectly).

is that the fake documentary about the guys who go to a bohemian grove esque thing at the end? I thought parts of it were really great, some of it was a little heavy handed/cheesy like the one guy wanting to go do a Zietgiesty self sustainable compound. They mixed a little bit too much together about the conspiracy world but i thought it was surprisingly well done.

disclaimer: and most 9/11 truthers in reality are by default (at least on 9/11) talking less bollocks than non truthers

That's the one, I kinda forgot about that compound bit but yeah, that was pointless. I liked the use of real conspiracy theories, the JFK speech was particularly well-timed, and I would pay so much money for that bull mask.

I'm fine with the world to be full of 9/11 truthers, I don't believe a lot they say but it's good to have people around that question everything.

Mulholland Drive is one of those films that is impressive because it's a trip within itself, making you feel like a conspiracy theorist sleuthing inadvertent genius by putting tons of puzzle pieces in your head with loose connections. I've watched it several times, and I've found what I believe to be "the true story" that I haven't read about or watched in analysis of the film. I was gonna do a writeup or make a video about it, but then I realized that the idea of doing so made me want to punch myself in the dick-- I just imagined aaall the absolutely retarded YouTube comments from people who think The Expendables 2 is masterful filmmaking. But maybe what I've found is so straightforward that it's obvious? I dunno-- but I did watch the film on nights when I was up for a few days after weeks of "staying up modafinil experiments", and it got to the point where I was watching the film, and the fourth wall basically vanished. The film pulled me in and became a direct part of my perception, as if I was imagining it or something like that. But there are reeeally subtle hints with stuff on tables, usage of color, shit like that. It's one of those films that's so well directed and put together, that there are separate and meaningful experiences from watching the film with sound and without. Note: at this time, I also spent 7~9 hours or so watching The Lone Ranger, ONCE, and I came to the conclusion that it's a cinematic masterpiece (not gonna give further enlightenment to Buddha, but it's crafted almost perfectly).

do it m8

do a video

innit

its a dream, isn't it? caught this off a decent film blog:

Lynch, obviously, won’t give an official explanation, though he did provide a guide to unraveling the mystery in DVD releases. His #1 hint gives the whole game away: “Pay particular attention to the beginning of the film: at least two clues are revealed before the credits”. It’s before the credits that the camera woozily lands on a pillow, indicating that the picture’s fantastical, illogical first half might actually be Diane’s drug-enhanced dreams. In the last act’s reality, she is a failed actress with a nasty crush on Rita, and Rita is a manipulative femme-fatale who doesn’t actually reciprocate those romantic feelings, as Diane once fantasized.

Inland Empire is brilliant psychological horror. As Laura Dern goes crazy and loses her grip on reality, so does the film & the empathetic viewer. It's kind of genius. It uses all these well established "cinema language" tropes we're all familiar with to make the viewer feel more & more ungrounded as the film goes on.

First time I saw it sober and I was legitimately terrified.

Second time I saw it sober and I thought "This is pretentious wank. Dude's lost it with this one."

Third time I saw it on a small dose of mushrooms and thought "This is one of the greatest films ever made."

Mulholland Drive is also really really great. Similar in vibe but considerably more subtle and coherent. Love em both.

Plz come back, Lynch.

I think the "stuff was a dream" for Mulholland Drive would be the most cop-out usage of such a thematic element, with no added benefit to the story-- in that vein, could be taken meta and be like, "Dude, the whole film is David Lynch's dream" (which would be accurate, though). My ultra IDM analysis- I don't actually remember it all, cuz one downside of staying up for several days is bad memory retention- but it was something like... The actress is an eternal one, being reborn generation after generation, and this is a concept that happens with character and actor archetypes in our world, like how every generation is trying to remake "the sexy lady", "the action dude", "the cool smart kid", "the underdog champion", etc. But in Mulholland Drive, it's done more directly by murdering actresses and attaching "the face" (i.e. "the look"; how a group of women can look quite different, but with similar makeup, hair, clothing, they can have the same "look")- but the literal face- to perpetuate a most accurate visual representation of the archetype. And memories are erased of "the new one", and through hypnotism and whatnot, they can become even mentally like the archetype. The upcoming actress has to kill to become the new, or at least witnesses the murder. Also, I think something in my mind at the time was concluding that even the film being made (in the film), is one that is made over and over and over... Generation to generation, the same concepts need to be perpetuated. So overall- if that's what I was thinking, prooobably should watch it again for a more accurate whatever analysis-- the film is about the twisted nature of ritualistic perpetuation of ideas just for the sake of ritual, alluding to Hollywood and its ideologies since the conception of movies.

Edited by peace 7

So what I gleaned from watching it for the first time last night is that lynch is saying that hollywood is run by old people with no creative ideas but complete power and that even the young new blood that turn up will have been spiked with massive doses of LSD by undercover hollywood mafia posing as gentle old folk on all inbound planes.

Pretty much anyone under the age of 50 is either coming down or still tripping and have no idea they are all but puppets in an obscene romp for those with no genitals left to rub.

all Lynch movies are about deep-seated personal fears, I've found. in the case of Eraserhead, it's about being a father and the head of a family. in the case of Mulholland Drive, it's about giving yourself up to the merciless world of showbusiness, especially as a woman. and so on.

I haven't even seen Inland Empire yet, the length of it put me off. will probably try it soon.

The weird thing is that in the book Lynch on Lynch, he denies Eraserhead being about fear of fatherhood. He also had paintings of a bride holding a dead baby and his ex-wife even denied that those were about that too.

Like admitting it will ruin the mystique...

Eraserhead is the prequel to Kung Fu starring David Carradine. If you watch both back to back, it makes more sense. You know that bit in Eraserhead where the alien baby thing gets sick and is all of a sudden covered in bumps? That is actually alluding to Kwai Chang Caine going through puberty and getting acne. It's crazy that even a Shaolin monk kung fu master has to deal with the harsh pains of pimples.

Robot Overlords - Just when I think I can't find Gillian Anderson more sexy she starts speaking in an English accent. The film wasn't that decent, a bit too Dr.Who.

Yeah, I had assumed Interstellar would be shit because Inception was nonsensical and The Batmens were just outright dumb...

...but god damn that was a good movie. Had me in tears on multiple occasions.

:catcry:

Nolan redeemed.

Nice to read those posts on Mulholland Drive, I have some perspective on it now. Next up: Inland Empire. And Eraserhead is due for a rewatch, last time was 2007 and it left me pretty disturbed.

Blue Velvet - maybe in the wrong mood for it, a good watch but not as satisfying as other Lynch movies so far. I saw myself constantly comparing it to Twin Peaks and its universe.

Dune - 'oh, so that's where that sample is from'/10. Obvious classic I finally witnessed for myself. Dated, but incredible. Glad I read the 'instruction manual' in advance as I didn't read the book.

Tekkonkinkreet - 7.5ish/10 - beautiful art and beautiful music by Plaid.

Nice to read those posts on Mulholland Drive, I have some perspective on it now. Next up: Inland Empire. And Eraserhead is due for a rewatch, last time was 2007 and it left me pretty disturbed.

Blue Velvet - maybe in the wrong mood for it, a good watch but not as satisfying as other Lynch movies so far. I saw myself constantly comparing it to Twin Peaks and its universe.

Dune - 'oh, so that's where that sample is from'/10. Obvious classic I finally witnessed for myself. Dated, but incredible. Glad I read the 'instruction manual' in advance as I didn't read the book.

Tekkonkinkreet - 7.5ish/10 - beautiful art and beautiful music by Plaid.

What sample are you talking about? I've never seen this movie