nightcrawler 7/10 pretty entertaining,gylenhaal,s quite good at the mo,reminded me a bit of king of comedy for some reason

interstellar 7/10 good,but nowhere near as good as some people are sayin,quite a few conclusions to be jumped,bit obvious and sentimental at times,pretty cool ideas tho,this could have been epic,but isn,t

Edited by sunshine recorder

nightcrawler 7/10 pretty entertaining,gylenhaal,s quite good at the mo,reminded me a bit of king of comedy for some reason

cos both protagonists are deeply psychotic?

ha! yes,that and the way he studied people at work,the sense of entitlement once he gets a foot in the door

Edited by sunshine recorder

2K2F3wP.jpg

unwatchable. seriously- WTF? as soon as i saw the hipster/gq cover model wannabe officer murphy i turned it off. plus WTF was that beginning about? they have a bunch of ED209's roaming iran with journalists, terminator type "robots" and stealth nighthawks? and how annoying was samuel jackson's opening news ramble?

I50ski6.jpg

great documentary about glen/divine- slightly touches on some of the other "wonderland actors". btw is it just me or is mink stole gorgeous?

highway to hell

6.9/10

bizarre low budget made-for-tv flick about a guy rescuing his girlfriend from hell. the surreal feel of it all due to the bad / strange acting and crappy set pieces etc made it feel like some late 80s avant garde art of noise video or something.

also it has a bunch of tangerine dream tracks in it ..and george costanzas dad is in it for some reason.

[youtubehd]AXftI8rRxM0[/youtubehd]

Enron: The Smartest Guys in the Room

This is more depressing than ever with the context of the financial crisis that would close the '00s.

Still infuriating & brilliant/10

interstellar - after about 30 minutes of not-so-elegantly conceived exposition and pretty much for 2 hours straight on (till the blackhole escape), it's a barrage of jaw drops, awe, tears, butt clenchings and a combination of those. easily the best visuals i've ever seen and easily the best ever soundtrack to accompany it. im sure the astrophysics enthusiasts are tearing it apart over at imdb forums and it doesn't lack its own cheese moments, but fuck that, it was massive and thoroughly engaging and fulfilling.

sgdOAUC.jpg

this is a great drunk film to watch. the first hour or so are a ripoff spoorloos but with truckers, then later it turns into the small town-deranged hicks with even the cops in on it type of hollywood crap.

Interstellar - not without it's flaws, a few cheesy moments dialog-wise, the whole interspersed plotlines thing didn't always work well, the main time paradox thing shouldn't have been in there (it should never be in there, all movies fuck this up, time travel is nonsense people!). but aside from all that it was a thoroughly enjoyable experience, the giant black hole tidal shit was great, the music was fantastic, the visuals in general were great, it was a great homage to 2001 (and 2010).

it's great to see Hollywood still willing to attempt high concept SF, this and Prometheus are the only decent efforts in recent years, both flawed, but at least they're trying...

I was getting excited for Interstellar after eugene's positive review but then you mentioned prometheus, so now I'm not excited anymore.

edit: because prometheus was poop.

Edited by kokoon

anyone here ever see a movie called Enter the Void? it's pretty fucked up.

Ye good flick. Dig the long scenes

Wouldn't watch again unless i was high though

yeah I don't really have any desire to watch it again, at least not for a while.

it started to get repetitive later on when the camera zoomed into some object every few minutes. those opening credits are amazing though.

Interstellar is nothing like Prometheus. They may have the same solid aesthetics, but that is where the comparisons stop.

I thought they were both great executions of solid science fiction ideas, there are very few genuine science fiction films imho, mostly blends of weakened SF ideas with action/horror/etc, Solaris (the original) and 2001 are the high-point (though 2001 is possibly even surpassed by 2010 in terms of SF credentials), films like Blade Runner and Alien/s are great films but represent the blend of ideas thing I'm talking about. I loved this and and Prometheus for making the decision to focus on the ideas compared to the vast majority of science fiction films that are being made these days. They both have their flaws, Interstellar had a couple of silly plot elements (you're always allowed one silly idea in any good science fiction story though), and Prometheus some dodgy characterisation and directing choices, but I'm willing to cut them some slack. They're both very different films in terms of their execution, Interstellar is far better directed and acted, but there's a certain spirit of "proper SF" about them that they both share.

anyone here ever see a movie called Enter the Void? it's pretty fucked up.

yeah, great film. it's pretty intense, definitely an experience.

Haha, the argument of the century.

But no, seriously... it was.

It was so bad. Shockingly bad. I always feel like burning down the place when I remember that movie. It's an insult to an otherwise great (not counting Resurrection and the AvP movies) movie franchise.

Movies have for a long time had a tendency to be just like games. Movies are no longer about the little things. It's always about saving mankind or something similarly epic. Also, this one tries to be deep. Oh so deep. It’s not an intelligent movie that was chopped up. It’s a dumb movie that keeps telling you how deep it is. It kinda reminded me of my younger cousin who I had the privilege to talk to yesterday. He has reached the age of 16 where he thinks he's an adult, has an opinion about everything you can have an opinion about, thinks he knows more than anyone else at the table, but nothing he says makes any actual sense. He's just a dumb teenager. You know what...? This movie is kinda like a dumb teenager.
It doesn't even know what it's doing most of the time. It tries to fit in all these classic cliches but with absolutely no build-up or pay-off. Was it supposed to be a big surprise that Weyland was Charlize Theron's dad? If yes, then I don't get it. There was absolutely no pay-off to that "twist".
Also, why the fuck did the Engineers lead them to that planet to find them only to completely demolish their asses as soon as they woke up?
And another thing... why was there a Xenomorph mural on ship when the Xenomorph hadn't even been created yet?
The behavior in the movie was all script, but had no basis in what people are actually like. So, you just gave birth to an alien squid? Maybe... tell someone? Anyone?
I wonder how many changes Damon Lindelof made to the script and if the script actually made any sense before his changes? Because to me it seems like two totally different movies in one movie.
You know what, I'll download the original script (it was called Paradise or something), read it on the airplane and then get back to this thread once I'm done...
You know what I thought was the funniest stupid thing? The zombie guy that apparently walked like a crab all the way to the ship. Why did he walk like a crab and then just move like a person after that?
Fuck that movie.

I saw Brometheus in 3d, enjoyed it as a spectacle and then promptly forgot about it.

I just finished watching The Drop. pretty average I thought. James Gandolfini's last role too.

lots of prometheus spolilers in here..

The Charlize Theron dad-reveal was certainly clunkily delivered, I think I lold in the cinema. There were plenty of examples of clunky exposition, the movie needed another half hour to let those scenes develop more naturally, and flesh out the other character a bit more. I have no poblem with the plot point though.

You do realise that the Engineer from the start of the movie is not necesarrily the same kind of dude as the Engineer from the end of the movie? The first guy sacrificed his life to seed another planet with the magical nice-life creating black goo, millions of years pass, Engineers continue to visit Earth, leave behind clues to one of their bases, thousands of years pass, other Engineers (who it should be noted look somewhat different to the ones from the start) seem to experimenting with evil-life destroynig black goo with the intention of wiping out Earth, they loose control and are almost all wiped out. We don't know why these guys now want to destroy us, and alternatively the original guys may have planned all along to destroy/transform the life on earth they were creating, we'll found out one way or another in the next movie. Either way, this is not in any way a flaw. It's clearly all been set up with a definite destination in mind.

Why did you think the Xenomorph hadn't been created yet? The mural is proof that it had! Clearly the design for the xenomorph is encoded in the black goo. The exact form of the Xenomorph depends on the host and who knows what else btw.

Lol at 'no basis in what people are actually like'. How many people do you know who gave birth to alien squids? She didn't have to tell David about, as he knew she was pregnant, she knew he would notice she wasn't pregnant any more. There was lots of shit going down at the time, life shatteringly amazing breakthroughs in human understanding, it's not much of a reach to think she may have been more interested at that point in going to check out the engineer, plus she just found out that Weyland was still alive, which no doubt threw her a bit.

As to why the zombie crab person moved like that, because he could obvoiusly.

There's plenty of justifiable criticism you can level at Prometheus, most of the stuff I come across is just flat out wrong though. Trying to claim things as plot holes when they're just unanswered questions waiting for the next installment, or frequently just misunderstood plot points, or examples of someone not paying attention to shit that happened in the movie. The acting from Fassbender and Rapace is good, the supporting cast could have been better, though the dialog didn't help them much at times. Some of their motivations and actions at times stretch credibility it's also true. Also, this kind of nitpicking could easily be leveled at Alien and Aliens, but no-one ever does. If you wanted to make a truly accurate film about space exploration it would be really boring and last about 10 hours, so most of it is justifiable imho to move the plot along, again I think a bit more time to let the characters develop would have mitigated this a good deal.

It looks amazing as well, the special effects are outstanding, all real sets and proper old school inventive effects work (I love the ooblack + sound waves trick for the goo), very little CGI, and where it is used it's used really well. The score is great too. None of this means you have to like the movie, maybe this kind of story just isn't your thing, maybe you were expecting something more like Alien or Aliens. Fine. That's not the film's fault though.

Edited by caze