cloud atlas - 3 hours of bad makeup

LOL

Yeah, to their credit though, they must have tried everything to overcome racial boundaries by having Halle Barry and that asian woman play white women. ... and it just looked strange.

Still a good 7/10 though.

don't understand that recent bout of appreciations towards cloud atlas, seemed like a bloated high budget new-agey fairytale, what else could you take from it ?

What else?

It's interesting how they played with the theme of eternal recurrence. I could go on about it for a bit, but I'm positive you're not interested in the slightest. And that's OK. But if you want to know what kept me interested throughout the movie, it was to keep checking the recurring spots and references.

I think it's going to be hard to top Life of Pi... The trailer looked like a felt black light poster came to life.

lol

Yeah.. the Life of Pi trailer might be the cheesiest thing I've watched in my entire life.

Life of Pi was great, yall seriously should watch it. I went in without a dam clue what I was in store for and the story was great. One of the few movies I've actually appreciated in theaters in a while.

The trailer only does the visuals of the movie justice. The story is kept a complete secrete until you watch it and for a good reason.

Edited by ZiggomaticV17

screener season!

the impossible - better than expected, and even though a lot of the acting was awful, the mom and the son were great. seems to get a lot of hate over the fact that the family it's based on were spanish, while the family in the movie are british. whatever, 7.5/10

django unchained - fun, but nowhere near as good as inglorious basterds. 7/10

hitchcock - i dunno, a 6? scarlett johansson is in it which is something i guess. pretty forgettable.

zero dark thirty - 2½ hours of cia talk and gratuitous torture scenes. zzz5/10

the hobbit - did i rate this already? i can't remember, 7.5 i think, i had fun but the progressions was weird and some scenes seemed out of place or dragged on for too long, like the random stone giant fight scene wtf? also, the violence felt more cartoony compared to the original trilogy.

house at the end of the street - fffuck off 1/100

monsieur lazhar - 8/10, could've been longer.

a friend of mine also posted on facebook that cloud atlas is a movie that only 1% of the world population would get it, lol, what a deuce...

What else?

It's interesting how they played with the theme of eternal recurrence. I could go on about it for a bit, but I'm positive you're not interested in the slightest. And that's OK. But if you want to know what kept me interested throughout the movie, it was to keep checking the recurring spots and references.

i'm interested, go on!

i watched the movie twice, guess i wanted to connect the dots, and i did connect some, anyways, what a pile of psy-trance hippie metaphysical fruit-salad, i don't find this kind of thing deep at all, it's the kind of stuff communists discuss when on acid...

Edited by THIS IS MICHAEL JACKSON

Well Cloud Atlas is one where if you get it and still don't like it they you have a valid reason not to like it.

If you don't get it and don't like it because you don't get it then your opinion has little merit.

The Signal 6/10

Good little horror film told in three parts about a transmitted signal turning people paranoid. Got some decent lols out of the second section.

Edited by AJW

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="ZiggomaticV17" data-cid="1927277" data-time="1357498309"><p>

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Npoess" data-cid="1927242" data-time="1357493027"><p><blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Gocab" data-cid="1927239" data-time="1357492819"><p>I think it's going to be hard to top Life of Pi... The trailer looked like a felt black light poster came to life.</p></blockquote>

<br />

<br />

lol<br />

<br />

Yeah.. the Life of Pi trailer might be the cheesiest thing I've watched in my entire life.</p></blockquote>

<br />

<br />

Life of Pi was great, yall seriously should watch it. I went in without a dam clue what I was in store for and the story was great. One of the few movies I've actually appreciated in theaters in a while. <br />

<br />

The trailer only does the visuals of the movie justice. The story is kept a complete secrete until you watch it and for a good reason. </p></blockquote>

The story is definitely complete secrete, I already know because I've read the book.

Edit: omfg mobile quoting is a secrete.

Django Unchained - ?/10. I honestly have no idea how to rate Tarantino films

Red Lights - 6.5/10. good buildup to a bad ending

Butter - 7.5/10. this flew way under the radar considering the cast, but it was pretty lol overall. maybe the mix of cute/family elements with the more crude/adult humor put critics/audiences off.

Samsara - 10/10

I am so grateful that this film exists.

Samsara - 10/10I am so grateful that this film exists.

I tried watching it twice and fell asleep both times

I've seen it twice and I was wide awake both times, Its just so amazing. I need more films from him.

If you haven't seen Baraka then you should see that too, It isn't as dark as Samsara.

I was going to give it a 10 but I settled for a 9.3 because I know he can do better and I expect as much when the stander high resolutions go up.

Edited by ZiggomaticV17

Yeah you probably need to warm up with baraka, then perhaps koyaanisqatsi.

I was watching it with my 10 year old niece and didn't expect it to be so dark, and the sex doll scene was kind of awkward. But it was fucking glorious.

Really? I think Chopper is one of the few cunty asshole movies that work, I haven't seen it in ages though. Bronson messed things up by trying to be too clever. It's a decent film and all, but it's also 65% too wanky. It's practically begging on its knees to become a cult film, instead of just being one. I realize now, writing this, I am unable to express myself clearly and make a valid point, but it is still my opinion damn it. This post 4/10.

Really? I think Chopper is one of the few cunty asshole movies that work, I haven't seen it in ages though. Bronson messed things up by trying to be too clever. It's a decent film and all, but it's also 65% too wanky. It's practically begging on its knees to become a cult film, instead of just being one. I realize now, writing this, I am unable to express myself clearly and make a valid point, but it is still my opinion damn it. This post 4/10.

I watched it the day before yesterday and was ready to agree with you until the disco scene came up.

Guest Jimmy McMessageboard
and fuck Zero Dark Thirty, I will never see that Nazi propaganda brainwashing shit.

yeah it's kinda typical of the local neohippies to scream "aaaah! jingoist torture propaganda wtf bbq !!11!" before seeing the film, but i found it very far from post-osama assassination "fuck yeah, america" sentiment.

finally caught zero dark thirty. it's a really well made film. but it left a really bad taste in my mouth (perhaps by intention). the day after watching i was in a terrible mood all day. yes it is pro torture, torture is shown as being effective. effective propaganda. the compound raid itself makes the navy seals look incompetent, i imagined it would be an in and out 5 minute quiet jobby but they blowing in doors and fucking around. stealth mode it wasn't. atop - you should see it just so you know what people are being shown about torture.

the only thing that lifted my mood was django unchained, and whilst the subject is dark and sad, it's excellent revenge material. loved it. the hiphop didnt really work for me but i understand why he wanted to use it. QT's appearance in the film is really jarring, as he sticks out for his acting and his accent, which you only realize afterwards is perhaps supposed to be australian. his death is awesome though. i could pick the film apart and over analyse it but i am not going to - i really enjoyed it. i need to rewatch inglorious now as everyone is jerking it off and i only thought it was ok.

Edited by Jimmy McMessageboard

from what understand there is no strong consensus about the actual efficacy of torture as interrogation method. despite the fact that the cia people told the producers that torture wasn't a factor in getting to ben laden they decided to include it in the picture (although maybe they didn't have all of the info at the time), i believe it was included as a dramatic element rather than some propaganda, as in "look, we got ben laden, but at what cost". i thought the actual raid part was even more effective in portraying that.

portraying efficacy doesn't directly translate to propaganda anyway, imo. nuclear weapons are effective in winning wars, but, x, y, z..

i forget where i read this but i like this quote:

"a story about war crimes told by the criminals"

wish i could remember where but it was on a big link to link to link session rabbit hole.

ah yes thank you. and this section too

“Everything we see on the screen, every piece of information we see the CIA gather, even every mistake we see the characters make, is part of a plot inexorably driving toward its own conclusion — bin Laden in a body bag. Every event in the film up until bin Laden’s death appears as a necessary link in the causal chain that gets us to that infamous bloodied corpse.” So the torture scenes we see in the movie, even if they yield false leads or disinformation, feel like important elements of the hunt for bin Laden simply because they’re there, propelling us hell-for-leather toward the violent climax we know is coming.

Must confess there was an inappropriate guffaw in zero dark thirty too. when the heroine is at her computer and you see her screen background. i lolled because their relationship up to that point had been minimally fleshed out

Man Salon has been dead since Greenwald left, now we have half-assed articles trying to ineffectively persuade people away from their wisdom. Funny and yet sad at the same time. Not necessarily a bad article, just sort of pointless. I'll accept the label of neo-hippy as long as I get to use 'neo-cunt' to describe people like Eugune

Edited by Awepittance

Man Salon has been dead since Greenwald left, now we have half-assed articles trying to ineffectively persuade people away from their wisdom.

what do you mean by this?

the whole "FILMED LIKE AT ACTUALLY HAPPENED" Journo-movie is never very appealing to me as a viewer. And in all honesty if it was a Navy SEAL operation, it would more than likely be about three or four minutes between reaching the destination and executing Bin Laden...probably with minimal noise. I dunno if it's portrayed that way in the movie but I doubt its palatable to me as a movie fan.

I also can't help but feel that if it were "true to events", the movie would be about 5 hours long, 4 of which show American and European intel agencies horribly fucking up communications to one another.