Hobbit 5/10 maybe they should have farmed out the CGI to North Korean slave labor or something, it was pretty bad. The hobbit felt like lots of things happened without anything really happening, kind of a sleepy movie that makes people try and not take a nap in their seat even though they really wanna see it through.

i sort of agree although in Peter Jackson movies the CGI is all over the map, some of it is atrocious while other specific cgi creations are/were the best out of anything else out. For instance the goblins in the Hobbit at least to me looked totally photorealistic, the trolls looked like shit.

Indie Game the movie - Emos makin' video games.

Don't know how to rate this movie, i was not very interested in the human aspect of it but very interested in everything else. 6.5/10 i guess.

really enjoyed Perks, especially after the main characters come over the track Heroes, I have orgasm'd because of that song as well.

The make up in Cloud Atlas is not the most interesting part of the film, or the biggest flaw. I enjoyed it a lot. This film is not for those whom have no patience and/or depth.

I am 40 should have been called White People Problems, so shallow and Megan Fox is the best thing about the film. Did not finish.

and fuck Zero Dark Thirty, I will never see that Nazi propaganda brainwashing shit.

The make up in Cloud Atlas is not the most interesting part of the film, or the biggest flaw. I enjoyed it a lot. This film is not for those whom have no patience and/or depth.

Thats a bit condescending don't ya think, just because a project seems to be a deep ambitious work of art doesn't mean its actually a deep ambitious work of art. In my opinion the movie was trying to be something that is was not from minute one, i found the movie not sincere at all, the filmakers were trying to trick me into thinking i was watching something worth my time but it ended up giving me zero enjoyment.

Game Change - Mildly entertaining dramatization of ol' Sara Palín trying to become the vice dog. Felt kind of sorry for her because shes like a simple minded gal competing against old wise pitbull, know what i mean?. 6/10

Edited by YO303

Cloud Atlas - 8/10 - better than all 3 matrix movies, probably the best movie they've done since Bound. Flawed for sure but still highly enjoyable, took about 1.5 hours for me to finally get into the flow of the movie. I also thought halle barry and tom hanks were miscast, the movie would have probably been stronger with lesser known and more subtle/better actors instead of them

Sinister - 1.5/10 - holy fuck this was waaaaay worse than i expected (and i had extremely low expectations). I thought it was going to be some shock value esque movie like the Ring but more generic. It was far more horrible. The whispering ghost-kid bullshit was so silly it belonged in a Scary Movie sequel. For this being the 'debut' film of anybody working for aintitcoolnews.com it is highly embarassing, i almost feel like Harry Knowles would have written a better film than this piece of shit. It gets 1 point for Ziggy from the wire playing the only interesting part. Oh i guess i'll add on a .5 for having an extremely eclectic soundtrack proliferated with obscure black metal (ulver, sun, Judgehydrogen, Accurst) weird sound design and boards of canada

Edited by Awepittance

Life of Pi gets a strong 8.5/10

Cloud Atlas has a respectable 7.5/10

Samsara gets a 9.3/10

What they should have done with Cloud Atlas (and this is coming from someone who hasn't read the novel) is instead of using the same actors/actress to play each of the different time periods is use different actress and actors that all had some sort of reference to their various selfs such as birthmarks or the obvious appeal to music that would allow the audience to infer that they are tied to each other. Having the same exact people play each time period is just weird and through the vibe off for me. Might have complicated things a bit more but that is the nature of the movie they were making to begin with.

Edited by ZiggomaticV17

Hate being the last post of a page so I'm reposting this so its at the top of the new page :D

Life of Pi gets a strong 8.5/10

Cloud Atlas has a respectable 7.5/10

Samsara gets a 9.3/10

What they should have done with Cloud Atlas (and this is coming from someone who hasn't read the novel) is instead of using the same actors/actress to play each of the different time periods is use different actress and actors that all had some sort of reference to their various selfs such as birthmarks or the obvious appeal to music that would allow the audience to infer that they are tied to each other. Having the same exact people play each time period is just weird and through the vibe off for me. Might have complicated things a bit more but that is the nature of the movie they were making to begin with.

Argo: 8/10

Arbitrage: 7/10

Safety Not Guaranteed: 7,5/10

Looper: 7/10

Brave: 7,8/10

Cloud Atlas: If you just focus on effects 7,8/10 if you focus on story 6,5/10

Edited by o00o

and fuck Zero Dark Thirty, I will never see that Nazi propaganda brainwashing shit.

yeah it's kinda typical of the local neohippies to scream "aaaah! jingoist torture propaganda wtf bbq !!11!" before seeing the film, but i found it very far from post-osama assassination "fuck yeah, america" sentiment.

Edited by eugene

The Hobbit - 7/10

The pacing of the film is weird and the HFR takes a lot of getting used to. I felt that the CGI was impressive in parts but often the seams were clear and the lighting was a bit weird.

Some amazing action scenes were cancelled out by some absolutely dreadful bits. Many of the dwarfs remained underdeveloped (in character, not stature!) and I wasn't convinced by Martin Freedman as Bilbo. However it's still a good film although flawed, and it does stay pretty true to the book.

Also there are people saying they felt it was too long. I disagree, the length was fine (just short of 3hrs has become acceptable for an epic film IMO) but it was the pacing that was weird. A slow beginning and some pointless scenes... followed by a pretty rushed ending and a lack of tension at parts.

The Gollum bit, as others have said, was absolutely fantastic.

yeah it's kinda typical of the local neohippies to scream "aaaah! jingoist torture propaganda wtf bbq !!11!" before seeing the film, but i found it very far from post-osama assassination "fuck yeah, america" sentiment.

wait,, its out already?

i wouldn't mind watching it but i personally didn't find the trailer to be all that compelling

cloud atlas - 3 hours of bad makeup

LOL

Yeah, to their credit though, they must have tried everything to overcome racial boundaries by having Halle Barry and that asian woman play white women. ... and it just looked strange.

Still a good 7/10 though.

wait,, its out already?

i wouldn't mind watching it but i personally didn't find the trailer to be all that compelling

it's on the internets

(are we allowed to say that mods ? i think my post was deleted, it got kinda confusing with that autechre leakage biz)

LOL

Yeah, to their credit though, they must have tried everything to overcome racial boundaries by having Halle Barry and that asian woman play white women. ... and it just looked strange.

don't understand that recent bout of appreciations towards cloud atlas, seemed like a bloated high budget new-agey fairytale, what else could you take from it ?

LOL

don't understand that recent bout of appreciations towards cloud atlas, seemed like a bloated high budget new-agey fairytale, what else could you take from it ?

People are being tricked into liking it.

My first piece of evidence is Atop's review, he says people who don't enjoy this movie dont have any depth which is exactly what the filmmakers are trying to make the audience think, that this movie is soooooo deep you have no other choice but to like it.

Edited by YO303

I think it's going to be hard to top Life of Pi... The trailer looked like a felt black light poster came to life.

I think it's going to be hard to top Life of Pi... The trailer looked like a felt black light poster came to life.

lol

Yeah.. the Life of Pi trailer might be the cheesiest thing I've watched in my entire life.

The Hobbit - 7/10

The pacing of the film is weird and the HFR takes a lot of getting used to. I felt that the CGI was impressive in parts but often the seams were clear and the lighting was a bit weird.

Some amazing action scenes were cancelled out by some absolutely dreadful bits. Many of the dwarfs remained underdeveloped (in character, not stature!) and I wasn't convinced by Martin Freedman as Bilbo. However it's still a good film although flawed, and it does stay pretty true to the book.

Also there are people saying they felt it was too long. I disagree, the length was fine (just short of 3hrs has become acceptable for an epic film IMO) but it was the pacing that was weird. A slow beginning and some pointless scenes... followed by a pretty rushed ending and a lack of tension at parts.

The Gollum bit, as others have said, was absolutely fantastic.

Am I the only one who doesn't like Gollum? Such an important role to be played out with cgi means, no please.