Perks of being a wallflower

odd mix of high school and molestation.

i didnt go to highschool in the US in the 90's so I didnt connect too much with the kids. As usual in this type of movie the "freaks" were way too cool. why do they never just have some fucking proper nerds nerding out, i guess that wouldn't work. the part when they hear 'come on eileen' and say "omg they playing good music" confused the hell out of me. no-one ever liked that song. unless it was at a family wedding at 2am. otherwise it was alright.

read the book a while back. terrible. all i remember is the character crying and listening to the smiths and getting music recommendations from his english teacher. it was like less than zero but with emotional teenagers instead of hot surf zombie drug addicts. and the reason they like come on eileen is because it's the juvenile fantasy of a forty something projected onto a past he never lived. like 500 days of summer, where the characters are too young to remember or care about anything they're referencing.

Ugh, just watched that film while I was making some flat pack furniture. Not quite Magnolia levels of nausea inducement, but the 'Here comes your Man' karaoke scene came close. The only shit Pixies song before we get to anything else.

Guest Jimmy McMessageboard

i remember liking 500 days of summer ALOT more than perks. didnt have any problems with the music choices in that. i think JGL can carry a film better than any of the 3 leads in perks, although ezra miller has an interesting face. the main kid looks like a better looking michael cera

Guest RadarJammer

red dawn (2012) would give it 10/10 on a made for TV movie scale, 7 out of 10 on direct to DVD scale and 6 out of 10 on failed box office attempt scale

Guest Adjective

The Master - enjoyable/10

it was a 3am kind of viewing so i don't trust my interpretation...

am i wrong in thinking that philip seymour hoffman and joaquin phoenix are playing two sides of the same personality?

I saw Freddie Quell as The Master's image of his own darker half/past, that he's "processed" away, The Master is Freddie's idealized/future self, and the real man is somewhere between. Freddie sort of wakes up to the Master after having hit rock bottom, and have some private moments over some paint thinner. The Master's certain that they've met before... has an ability to find and contact Freddie in a theater somehow. They're both sexual deviants in some way. They get arrested at the same time and then share neighboring cells. Freddie practicing processing at the end... And I couldn't help thinking that whenever The Master is confronted about Freddie, he's really being confronted about his own drinking and behavior, and its effect on the cause. Or when he's confronted generally his inner-Freddie peaks out with some shouted curse, and Freddie just can't handle any criticism of the Master without going berzerk.

i don't know, i've just seen at the one time and my interpretation doesn't seem to jive with all the snoring of my friends halfway into it.

Sometimes you feel like a Quell, sometimes you Dodd.

I agree with your observations and I think there are many ideas hidden, purposely and some not, within the film.

going to write an essay on my ideas.

Guest Ron Manager

True Grit - 8/10. Enjoyable. Jeff Bridges was fucking awesome in it.

J. Edgar - 4/10. Sounded like it was going to be so much better than it was. I was really disappointed. Also, Di Caprio and the guy who played Clyde looked fucking ridiculous as old men. Seriously - it looked like Harry Enfield and Paul Whitehouse in sketches when they pretend to be old men. The make-up was truly terrible.

sinister - ethan hawke plays the dumbest person on earth. he moves his inexplicably british wife and his stupid kids into a house whose previous residents instagrammed their own deaths. ethan hawke sees the instagram of people dying and decides to stay in the house, finding even more instagrams of people dying. he decides to write a book about it, but the cover of a blaze in the northern sky comes after him. vincent d'onofrio literally skypes it in to tell us about death metal and how it can corrupt your children. eventually, ethan hawke realizes that he should leave, so he leaves, but the cover of a blaze in the northern sky follows him, probably hiding in his itunes, and everyone falls asleep.

sinister - ethan hawke plays the dumbest person on earth. he moves his inexplicably british wife and his stupid kids into a house whose previous residents instagrammed their own deaths. ethan hawke sees the instagram of people dying and decides to stay in the house, finding even more instagrams of people dying. he decides to write a book about it, but the cover of a blaze in the northern sky comes after him. vincent d'onofrio literally skypes it in to tell us about death metal and how it can corrupt your children. eventually, ethan hawke realizes that he should leave, so he leaves, but the cover of a blaze in the northern sky follows him, probably hiding in his itunes, and everyone falls asleep.

one of the worst movies i've seen of recent memory. The only remotely redeemable aspect was throwing a decent Boards of Canada song in the incidental music cues. Shockingly bad all around. Is it just me or is the concept of a child being scary never at all scary with a few rare exceptions? Fuck that

moonrise kingdom - etsy/10

What does etsy mean?

I thought MK was ok but they really need to lay off these self aware camera movements because they are becoming unsustainable. And detracting from the narrative. Needs a fresh approach. The scene where the dog got killed was a piece of shit.

Someone convince me to finish Primer. I've tried watching it three times now and it just doesn't grab me. It's on Netflix now, though, and it's in SUPER HD! so I guess I should watch it, but fuck, man... it's so sloooooow.

Someone convince me to finish Primer. I've tried watching it three times now and it just doesn't grab me. It's on Netflix now, though, and it's in SUPER HD! so I guess I should watch it, but fuck, man... it's so sloooooow.

Yeah primer was a little dry for my tastes, but to its credit (i think?) it's one of the few films i've seen that truly confused me

anyone see upstream color? is it even out yet? it looks pretentious as fuck, but i want to watch it.

I love the title and the first trailer they put out was a wonderful teaser that made me want to know more. Then the second teaser came out it and it looked like an entirely different movie. I listened to the soundtrack today on Soundcloud and it was ok, I guess. Nothing spectacular.

moonrise kingdom - etsy/10

What does etsy mean?

I thought MK was ok but they really need to lay off these self aware camera movements because they are becoming unsustainable. And detracting from the narrative. Needs a fresh approach. The scene where the dog got killed was a piece of shit.

etsy.com bro, if you just go to the homepage of that site you'll see all these carefully cultivated displays of quirky items, vintage curiosities, hip retro stuff, etc. i felt like MK was like the movie version of this: everything from the camera work, the dialog, the music, etc. was also so preciously composed and about as vapid as a shop window.

basically wes anderson just makes the same exact movie over and over, viz. quirky dysfunctional families have wacky adventures and everything looks like some hip vintage shop. MK was especially bad though imo, by the time they reached the church during the flood it was like the script completely unraveled into this ridiculous hodge-podge of cutsey bullshit. it's also pretty impressive that he can get perfectly good actors to be completely flat and boring.

except bill murray who is just one of those guys who seems to always be funny imo