IGNORED

Merry Christmas, WATMM!

Friendly Foil

Christmas is a capitalist shared delusion, an intoxication with the irrational belief that somehow the suffering of the hopeless will end without anyone having to work for it.  As long as i can give my kids the Christmas they deserve, everything will work out somehow.  Its primary function is to persuade young children that our world isn't broken, but some people still indulge in it well into adulthood.

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

4 minutes ago, drillkicker said:

Christmas is a capitalist shared delusion, an intoxication with the irrational belief that somehow the suffering of the hopeless will end without anyone having to work for it.  As long as i can give my kids the Christmas they deserve, everything will work out somehow.  Its primary function is to persuade young children that our world isn't broken, but some people still indulge in it well into adulthood.

Christmas is actually an amalgamation of multiple celebrations recognized by different religions. The nauseatingly commercialized pablum we are fed is a concoction of the early 20th Century, with some Mamie Eisenhower thrown in for good measure.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Rubin Farr said:

The nauseatingly commercialized pablum we are fed is a concoction of the early 20th Century, with some Mamie Eisenhower thrown in for good measure.

This. This is the only flavour of Christmas that seems to remain. The entire month of December (and much of November in some places) is saturated with this and there is no way to escape it unless you don't leave your home. The forced music, the hideous lights (when did blue become a Christmas colour, by the way?), all of it seems determined to actively avoid anything tying it to the original (various) religious meaning(s) of the holiday - most of the "Christmas music" that gets force-fed to us in stores is secular, meaningless bullshit, "all I want for christmas is you" or "you broke my heart on christmas" or whatever the fuck, basically music that says nothing more than "It's Christmas! It's Christmas! It's Christmas!" (and most of this music was made solely because making a "christmas album" is a commercial opportunity, particularly if creativity has run dry and the artist needs to make some bucks and/or stay relevant in the meantime).   I know more people who say they hate/resent/would prefer to skip the holiday altogether if they had the choice. Yet it keeps chugging on. Who actually likes this shit anymore? It's completely hollow, aggressively forced upon us, and we all buy a bunch of shit no one needs, for people who don't want it, with money we don't have. Shit that was probably made by people who have nothing. I grew up in a Christian household but we sort of abandoned it in my teens and I don't consider myself religious now, but I'd take the traditional Christian approach over this bullshit any day.  I love winter, I find it very peaceful and reflective, and I like to imagine what December would be like if none of this existed.  Dark and peaceful and quiet.

Edited by toaoaoad
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, toaoaoad said:

Who actually likes this shit anymore? 

kids. they like it. don't you remember? you were one once.

but yeah, after the kid years, it just gets depressing thinking about the materialism / consumerism / fakeness of it all.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, zero said:

it just gets depressing thinking about the materialism / consumerism / fakeness of it all.

That's why I watch Hallmark movies on the women's network :emotawesomepm9:

10 hours ago, zero said:

kids. they like it. don't you remember? you were one once.

but yeah, after the kid years, it just gets depressing thinking about the materialism / consumerism / fakeness of it all.

Well replied. I still enjoy Christmas because of the youngsters and I can still remember how I use to feel when I was young, I can still feel that magical glow inside my soul and imagination. Nowadays it’s  a faint twinkle but is still there. I like that. Also memories of my grandparents when they were alive and my dad too. Because they all loved Christmas. Things were more simpler back then but more in the spirit of things. I do like Christmas lights as well, it breaks the gloom of winter.

But yeah the levels of consumerism and the especially the selfish way people behave in public (the last five years I’ve seen almost fist fights in shops) they way all these cunts sit in their cars smashing the horn at each other. Go into the town centre this week and all you will hear is endless cacophony of car horns. The ridiculous amounts of money people spend. It’s like a feeding frenzy of belligerent fat pigs at a trough. And it’s very sad.

Edited by beerwolf
  • Like 3