IGNORED

Oneohtrix Point Never - R Plus Seven

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fuck this might be the album of the year for me. I won't be too quick to judge, aside from the beautiful and corny vaporwave aesthetics, the sound and context experiments is worth the listen alone.

Guest bitroast

this album is incredible.

i >>love<< his synth drone material (russian mind, and returnal, and etc!!) and all of his back catalogue. but was becoming quite concerned with the direction he was taking as he was straying away from the arp+delay synth drones.

this album is completely incredible. i still may regard his earlier stuff as my favourite, but this album may change that. it's easy to see how this may be his 'best' album to date. *U*

i caved

Oneohtrix Point Never is probably the closest big artist to original musique concrete. This album and Everything She Touched Turned Ampexian would go very well together.

Oneohtrix Point Never is probably the closest big artist to original musique concrete.

Nope, Lopatin's aesthetic is almost the complete opposite musique concrete.

For what you're talking about, see------>The 'Chre

This album is so good.

Oneohtrix Point Never is probably the closest big artist to original musique concrete.

Nope, Lopatin's aesthetic is almost the complete opposite musique concrete.

For what you're talking about, see------>The 'Chre

IDM is what musique concrete developed into, not what it was. Autechre sounds nothing like Pierre Schaeffer. Emotionally, Oneohtrix Point Never's new stuff is very different, but sonically it is surprisingly similar. This album in particular reminds me of the chaotic nature of musique concrete with random new sounds jutting out of nowhere, and very jarring, contrasting sounds happening at the same time.

I am really enjoying this album also.

But, imo, what lopatin is doing is almost twisting/inverting the original concept of concrete music in on itself.

IMO Pierre Schaeffer was not trying to be jarring to the listener. He intended for the listener to hear each sound as a note in a symphony. The logical conclusion to this was, as you rightly pointed out, IDM artists like the 'chre and da 'twin.

Lopatin has inverted this. the sounds are so fake (replicas), everyday and overused that it's difficult to listen and suspend your sense of disbelief at the same time in order to hear the composition without prejudice.

My two cents/pence.

Oh yeah, I think Autechre is often closer to Musique Concrete in philosophy, I just think that R+7 is close sonically. Musique Concrete was about the future of sound, OPN is more about the opposite, playing a postmodern referencing game which he does so well (and yet he still sounds totally different from everyone else). But it's the style in which he samples that makes in sound concrete to me. And in a sense I think it is using that same deconstructionist "what is music?" style that was common in musique concrete but not in IDM (IDM being more about constructing the most original sound as opposed to deconstructing sound itself).

So maybe I think it's close in philosophy too.

loving this, has a healthy mix of all his styles including ford and lopatin (games) which i friggin loved. i thought rifts and returnal were amazing and replica so-so with a couple great tracks, but he takes all the best from his previous styles and meshes it all together perfectly in this one

9/10

comparable to global communication 76:14 in terms of the awe inspiring vibes for me

Guest Gravity

I quite enjoy the album title for some reason, smashing together alphabet and addition into a nonsensical but strangely compelling phrase sort of fits the content within

I thought of it like:

Rifts

Returnal

Replica

R_ _ _ _ _ _ _

I quite enjoy the album title for some reason, smashing together alphabet and addition into a nonsensical but strangely compelling phrase sort of fits the content within

I thought of it like:

Rifts

Returnal

Replica

R_ _ _ _ _ _ _

ah, this i had not noticed

loving this, has a healthy mix of all his styles including ford and lopatin (games) which i friggin loved. i thought rifts and returnal were amazing and replica so-so with a couple great tracks, but he takes all the best from his previous styles and meshes it all together perfectly in this one

9/10

comparable to global communication 76:14 in terms of the awe inspiring vibes for me

i think you hit it right on the money as far as the description. The Games influences are probably why I can't get into this album yet, his Games project seems to play a lot with a lot of these cheesy plundered sounds laid bare in a more straightforward context than even Eccojams.

I barely even think about the sounds as being cheesy, which is interesting. Usually when I like music like this there is some sort of ironic awareness which makes it, here it's still a reference but I can feel little irony. But it's great. In fact, even the melodies and chord progressions are pretty cheesy, although overall the songs are pretty experimental.

The only thing I don't like about this album is the very end. The last part of Chrome Country, with the fake pipe organ, sucks ass hard, which is annoying because it's my favorite song otherwise. If I had to rate this album, it would bring it down from a 9 to an 8, or 10 to a 9. It's a cheesy way to end it, and not one that works. I thought I might like it more on subsequent listens, but I think it's even worse now than before.

i grew up in the catholic church up until high school .. lots of organs and such.. and that i'm duno about mr lopatin but i think this was his way of throwing in a religious or spiritual context into the music.. he may or may not be religious but i feel like the church organs are pulled in when there is some serious business going on with the chords that have some spiritual vibes.. it may be a bit cheesy but it should also bring into some perspective.. this album would be great to meditate to

Archived