IGNORED

Oneohtrix Point Never - R Plus Seven

what the fuck lol

the organ at the end of chrome country is one of my fav. parts!!!

It seemed too loud and boisterous to me. Even disregarding my not liking it aesthetically, it kind of stood out too much in the mix. Seemed tacked on.

But to each his own. I can't think of a single other complaint for the record other than it being too short. Definitely more comprehensive than prior releases, but still so short! Rifts might not have the best flow overall, but it's great because there's like 2 hours of music.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest jasondonervan

But to each his own. I can't think of a single other complaint for the record other than it being too short. Definitely more comprehensive than prior releases, but still so short! Rifts might not have the best flow overall, but it's great because there's like 2 hours of music.

Rifts was a compilation of several early works - and the re-release had more added, so can't count that one as an album really.

Guest bitroast

yeah, the actual albums (betrayed, russian mind, etc) are ~30 minutes each.

which is short and sweet and concise.

but i sort of agrree with gmanyo and actually really appreciate the ocean style flow of rifts. it's something you can put on and completely lose yourself in.

Guest jasondonervan

yeah, the actual albums (betrayed, russian mind, etc) are ~30 minutes each.

which is short and sweet and concise.

but i sort of agrree with gmanyo and actually really appreciate the ocean style flow of rifts. it's something you can put on and completely lose yourself in.

And I agree with you both! I actually prefer to listen to the first version, as for some reason the track order was juggled around for the re-release (as well as the inclusion of several more tracks). Classic repeat listening syndrome, I'd burned all that early OPN into my brain in that particular order, so when I listen to the re-release it feels out of sync where I'm expecting a track to follow which doesn't come up til later.

Guest jasondonervan

Bonus track on the Japanese version is titled 'Gone'.

Keep an eye on my youtube channel around release time.

Rifts was a compilation of several early works - and the re-release had more added, so can't count that one as an album really.

Yeah I know, but it's still an essential release, and it still does function as one body quite well. Just not like, in order necessarily. I'm glad I didn't get Rifts one release at a time because it would have been too short for me.

Replica was too short as well, and less cohesive, but it still had great moments. Several cool tracks that are somewhat similar put together. R+7 feels like one really solid 43 minute piece to me, but I wish it were longer than that.

Guest jasondonervan

Yeah I know, but it's still an essential release, and it still does function as one body quite well. Just not like, in order necessarily. I'm glad I didn't get Rifts one release at a time because it would have been too short for me.

Replica was too short as well, and less cohesive, but it still had great moments. Several cool tracks that are somewhat similar put together. R+7 feels like one really solid 43 minute piece to me, but I wish it were longer than that.

You won't get any argument from me about how essential Rifts is. I was first introduced to OPN with 'Zones Without People', and I was lucky that most of his earlier releases were knocking around on tape rip blogs. I almost pre-built Rifts listening experiences for myself, and was delighted when the compiled material was released properly.

I completely understand why people don't get OPN, and that's fine (heck, even I don't like everything he's ever done) - but for me, he has been one of the most interesting artists of modern times. I hope that R+7 acts as a gateway record for people who never really had him on their radar, to start digging around his back catalogue as there's plenty more to enjoy for the un-enlightened listener.

On an R+7 side note, those Robin S 'Show Me Love'-sounding notes in 'Zebra' get me every time

I have just found that if you listen to OPN's main records in backwards order from most recent to rifts it seems like one seamless album gradually moving from sharp gm textures to gritty samples to synthetic ambience.

I'm confused as to why the first half of the Still Life (Excerpt) video's audio is not on the album. I really liked that.

it's taking the concept of vaporware literally, the song only exists in full on video

Guest murphythecat8

damn, im shocked by how good this is. This is a major step up from his other albums.The ambiant parts are beautiful and deep, the melodies and effects are so organic and most importantly, musical.

This is by far one of the best record this year for me and probably my favorite.

I have never loved anything by OPS, liked some stuff, but this I love!

I'm confused as to why the first half of the Still Life (Excerpt) video's audio is not on the album. I really liked that.

it's taking the concept of vaporware literally, the song only exists in full on video

Oh lawd.

Someone on /mu/ just posted this, it's the animation the cover art is taken from (@ 3:25). Very cool.

0JJ12nD.png

"cool.."

I was thinking I wasn't going to be into this as much as Rifts and Returnal. But hey, sometimes I just love being wrong. He's taking what he does on Replica and stepping up his game like a true G. I guess I was worried it was going to be too vaporwave gimmicky with lots of annoying, overly repetetive staccato samples of 80's soap operas and anime or some shit like that. (Sorry, not really up to date on these trends) Maybe that's actually what it is, but it sounds WAY better than what I had feared. As in, I like it.

Guest bitroast

This album made me realise my stance on replica a little.

I think it's half great, half uninspired and average (which as a whole lets the album down). Some of the tracks are beautiful and weird and work for me, others (like Up, nassau, remember) just do very little for me. However without these tracks it would sound even more empty and less of an album.

I agree that this album takes some of those ideas but it fully realises and expands on them to a pretty excellent level :)

wow people have been listening to this album here for month's, maybe years i believe, fantastic!

i haven't heard it yet but i give it 10/10 best release i haven't heard yet this year for me

wow people have been listening to this album here for month's, maybe years i believe, fantastic!

i haven't heard it yet but i give it 10/10 best release i haven't heard yet this year for me

lol

Archived