IGNORED

Oneohtrix Point Never - R Plus Seven

Loving this album. 8/10. Americans is my favorite track so far. Repeat listens seem to bring up new sounds that I missed previously. Beautiful and weird.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

really fabulously excellent. My favorite things so far are those strange disembodied blips and moments of samples. Reminds me of that one autechre track from quaristice that sounds like it's made from field samples. I bet seeing this album adapted to a live setting would be a great experience.

just spent a long car ride digesting the album from beginning to end with a friend. We were both surprised by some of the odd jarring sound choices which seem to punctuate and interrupt and otherwise very enjoyable album. I can get fully on board the vaporware sample manipulating aesthetic, but some of it's use on R Plus Seven seems less accomplished even from just a technical standpoint than any of his previous sample based work. Also the organs, vocals and slap bass are just not 'fitting' into the album other than for almost overly self aware comedic moments. No one else is finding some of these sounds a little hard to get into? I think it's a fine effort, I'm just surprised I'm the only one finding some of the choices to detract from the album .As far as just generating the Oneohtrix Point Never emotional ride that I've liked from his previous works, this album isn't doing that for me. Maybe it will 'grow' on me but when i first heard Rifts and Replica within the first 5 minutes i was totally sold, it resonated with me far quicker than most new music i hear. This is just still sounding really awkward to me

aesthetically it's still a really unique work. It's equal parts abstract/beautiful and experimental and cheesy and silly. There aren't many people trying to combine the two together. Harkens back to the musical philosophy of Severed Heads, Art of Noise and other playful sample based bands of the 80s.

just saw this leaked and i'm pumped to be downloading it. despite such an early leak i'm glad it's out there because i need this music in my life right now.

Guest jasondonervan

JV-1080WAVE

jv-1080.jpg

Love what I'm hearing, OPN just keeps on delivering for me. Order going in to Bleep shortly, so Dan can buy some more Celtics hats.

Guest Araungzeb

I've really enjoyed this on my first few listens so far, Chrome Country and Zebra are the two huge standouts for me. I'm not feeling this as much as Replica or Octagon, but it has an amazing array of sounds and ideas that I'm sure will be worth many repeat listens.

By the way, was anyone else extremely disappointed when listening to "Broken Angel" for the first time that the last 15 seconds didn't end up turning into an amazing full-fledged song? :sad:

*resentment towards Eugene melts away temporarily due to genuine lol*

I would like to know which choir samples he used... I think they're the same Tim Hecker use.

someone should make a thread for this type of sample spotting, and by 'this' i mean sample spotting stock sample library kits or romplers.

I'm very interested in identifying a few myself like the Twin Peaks score, Rabbits, Terminator 2, Mortal Kombat 2 and X-files soundtracks

Also the organs, vocals and slap bass are just not 'fitting' into the album other than for almost overly self aware comedic moments. No one else is finding some of these sounds a little hard to get into? I think it's a fine effort, I'm just surprised I'm the only one finding some of the choices to detract from the album .As far as just generating the Oneohtrix Point Never emotional ride that I've liked from his previous works, this album isn't doing that for me. Maybe it will 'grow' on me but when i first heard Rifts and Replica within the first 5 minutes i was totally sold, it resonated with me far quicker than most new music i hear. This is just still sounding really awkward to me

i feel similarly, which is why i find the album baffling. there are some really wonderful sections throughout the album, but a lot of the sound design feels awkward to me too. maybe that's the point, i don't know

i do find myself listening to it a fair bit though

The album reminds me of a more abstract, more ambient version of that recent EP Desert Srike by Fatima Al Qadiri

Using odd soundbank-style sounds, composed well, but sounding really odd and jarring at first. I imagine many people will hate it, but it's a pleasant, surprising listen.

Also the organs, vocals and slap bass are just not 'fitting' into the album other than for almost overly self aware comedic moments. No one else is finding some of these sounds a little hard to get into? I think it's a fine effort, I'm just surprised I'm the only one finding some of the choices to detract from the album .As far as just generating the Oneohtrix Point Never emotional ride that I've liked from his previous works, this album isn't doing that for me. Maybe it will 'grow' on me but when i first heard Rifts and Replica within the first 5 minutes i was totally sold, it resonated with me far quicker than most new music i hear. This is just still sounding really awkward to me

i feel similarly, which is why i find the album baffling. there are some really wonderful sections throughout the album, but a lot of the sound design feels awkward to me too. maybe that's the point, i don't know

i do find myself listening to it a fair bit though

ive only listened to it twice. I think that it might be the point to some of it. Whereas he talks about the whole genre of 'new age' influencing him and wanting to make music that makes people feel like they are in the proverbial relaxing rain forrest. This almost seems to be a new commentary on new age, using aspects of it that made it overtly a turn off to a lot of music fans out there, the angular almost over the top forced nature of sound choices in new age music that are supposed to relax you. Where as in a typical cheesy 80s new age album, these sounds would be more buried in the background or put through verbs, in R Plus Seven they are laid bare and thrown in your face. In a weird way it also sort of reminds me of Evol's music making style, like where he'll make a whole noise album out of the rave Hoover sound.

Guest Gravity

The cheesy sounds are part of what makes this album so great IMO. When that organ arpeggio first started up in Boring Angel I got this huge grin on my face. It's really playful.

*resentment towards Eugene melts away temporarily due to genuine lol*

I would like to know which choir samples he used... I think they're the same Tim Hecker use.

someone should make a thread for this type of sample spotting, and by 'this' i mean sample spotting stock sample library kits or romplers.

I'm very interested in identifying a few myself like the Twin Peaks score, Rabbits, Terminator 2, Mortal Kombat 2 and X-files soundtracks

I think the horns in problem areas could be a 'combo' brass patch from a Kawai K5000.

I'm loving the jarring bits. It's like having flies buzz around your face while you're trying to enjoy a beautiful scene.

also, I think boring angel has some things in common with this:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlWNvfZksTQ

also: zebra makes me believe oneohtrix point never likes youtube poop. why? because in that part where there is that nice guitar chord he uses a timestretched voice, similar to how people these days do with the hank of the hill youtube poops, which, in their own way, have developed into a highly sophisticated digital video sampling culture.

Guest cult fiction

The "slap bass" has to be a super expensive VCO with a unique filter that causes it to sound like a DX7... clearly this could only be a GX-1

Guest cult fiction

The Seinfeld theme bass is 6 MS-20s in unison run through a GX-1 filter - Danny couldn't afford the MS-20s after picking up his GX-1 so he just used the GX-1's vcos. Rookie mistake. That's why people think it sounds cheesy.

Archived