IGNORED

Oneohtrix Point Never - R Plus Seven

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't get the Problem Areas plucked strings and those flipping trumpets out of my head

Was gonna say, wish there was more like Problem Areas on the LP. When the album's finished, that's the only one I can remember.

Guest Popemobile v2

I'm a bit nervous about the purported shift in direction, and wasn't particularly wowed by Problem Areas. Dan kind of has his niche (seems to admit as much himself in that Red Bull interview), which he is a master at. Don't know if he has the flexibility to successfully expand his sound too much... we'll see.

really weird album so far, don't know what to make of it. I like all the nice relaxing airy pad laced ambient stuff. Some of the jarring sample cutups just aren't working for me, they aren't sounding as good as Replica and resemble the sloppy chopping style of Witchouse a little too much. I'm only on track 5 though. I don't mind that a lot of this sounds like he's using old early 90s keyboard presets, I just don't particularly like the ones he's using. I feel like even Hudson Mowhawke 'butter' had a much better handle on these vocal melodic stabs he keeps doing. It just seems overly rooted in a retro nostalgia aesthetic rather than being transcendent of that like Replica was.

the best way to describe it i guess would be where as Replica sounded like a very good stylistic choices in channeling sort of imaginary but evolved fake Art of Noise minimal ambient album. This almost sounds too close to Art of Noise making a cheesy ambient album in the late 80s, which is still cool, its just more emulation driven than 'new' sounding if that makes sense.

im getting similar feelings from listening to this as i did when i listened to whatever that vaporwave thing is, but instead of feeling cheap and dirty for listening to music that was made by slowing down old synth-pop , i do sense some actual genuine personality and creativity in this album.

the cover is really fitting too i think.

i feel like i'm patrick bateman going through the stargate from 2001

this album is baffling but also really beautiful in places, the last three tracks in particular. don't really know what to make of it yet though

Guest bitroast

just finished first listen on public transport ride home, after a few wine beverages in the city.

it's quite an excellent album.

i mean, i am an opn fan and quite biased at this point. but i was a little concerned prior to listening based on the samples and video.

it's not at all too offensive or harsh or noisy. it's definitely weird. and it has a weird skewed logic and still works as nice ambient musics to have play and not be thrown off by or disgruntled by. ie. its smoother and weirder and a better listening experience than Music For Reliquary House.

this was all just on first listen, on earbuds on a busy tram.

just listened to some of it again on speakers. and fwor, it is sounding even better.

it seems to have a lush production quality to it.

will give it more listens to see if i still love it or if this is just an initial buzz influenced by excitement and alcohol.

i mean, i am an opn fan and quite biased at this point. but i was a little concerned prior to listening based on the samples and video.

it's not at all too offensive or harsh or noisy. it's definitely weird.

This 1000%. It's weird but in a comforting way. Look forward to exploring it on a big system!

I wonder if anyone who preordered this will get to download it from Bleep sometime soon. Still waiting to listen to it until then, myself.

This album is fantastic, it just seems so honest, confident and unashamed. I just love the feelings it evokes, it's so satisfying. Probably my favorite thing 0PN has done (coming from someone who hopped on the 0PN train last year with Replica). Can't wait to get the vinyl with the very fitting sweet artwork.

When he uses those quick staccato sections, it sounds to me like Steve Reich. There's lush ambient bits in there, and some good melody work. The old "keyboard preset" sounds takes me back to old tv / movie scores / sounds, and also Orbital in places. Forgetting analysis of novelty or music history I find the album quite beautiful in several places.

Guest Gravity

also, the ambient parts are strong in this. extremely beautiful.

Oh yes. This album is equal parts odd and extremely beautiful. One of the best things I've heard in a while.

Archived