IGNORED

Oneohtrix Point Never - R Plus Seven

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I liked the short samples on his website a lot. The two song excerpts have been good but nothing phenomenal, but they might work better with the rest of the album. By no means are they bad either, they're pretty good, especially the first one. Just not Betrayed in the Octagon level stuff.

Guest Rulohead32

I don't like the sounds in this at all. I always liked his more melodic and "pretty" stuff the most though, so this is probably just not for me judging from the samples.

In your opinion

<p>the 2nd half of that song is alright, the first half just sounds way too parodious. I would never be able to listen to that slap bass arpegio while really stoned and have a psychedelic journey like i was with Replica or his other stuff. I get that the early 90s had really weird aesthetics, but there is a reason why people don't do slap bass arpegios, they just don't sound very good and kind of silly.  If he's trying to go for some kind of MR Oizo funny electronic music thing, he's succeeded because the song makes me laugh more than actually being enjoyable to listen to </p>

I don't feel like the song is all that potent by itself, but it makes a great compliment to Takeshi Murata's work. Considering that all of the images used in the video are from 2011-2012, and how perfectly the themes in the track line up with the visuals, I feel like he probably made the track specifically to go with the images. The guy who did the artwork for Russian Mind did the music for Murata's "Pink Dot", so I'm fairly certain that OPN was familiar with Murata's work prior to this video.

full images:

http://www.salon94.com/artists/detail/takeshi-murata

and here's Pink Dot for those who didn't see it the half dozen other times I've posted it here

I would say of all the oneohtrix point never tracks i heard, 82.5% annoy me and i will never listen. The other 17.5% are gold. Problem Areas would fit into the 82.5% problem area

*adjusted for inflation

I want more stuff of the quality of A Pact Between Strangers and Physical Memory if that's possible

<p>the 2nd half of that song is alright, the first half just sounds way too parodious. I would never be able to listen to that slap bass arpegio while really stoned and have a psychedelic journey like i was with Replica or his other stuff. I get that the early 90s had really weird aesthetics, but there is a reason why people don't do slap bass arpegios, they just don't sound very good and kind of silly.  If he's trying to go for some kind of MR Oizo funny electronic music thing, he's succeeded because the song makes me laugh more than actually being enjoyable to listen to </p>

I think it's meant to be a little tongue in cheek. But there is something very relevant there as well, like Casio/New Age/Phillip Glass.

It fits the video really well, gives a great feeling of our times and our ability to realize abstract environments through technology and the strangeness of the feeling of optimism it gives.

We're entering into a sort of unknown period of endless beautiful hyper-real landscapes and computer dreams. Lush.

I love this dude's stuff

and I always appreciate it when an artist really goes for it

but I'm having trouble getting down with "Problem Areas"

I almost threw up when that trumpet came in

I always appreciate it when an artist really goes for it

I think that's what works about OPN, he takes all these electronic music cliches from the last 50 years & runs at them full-tilt, with a distinct lack of irony & self-awareness that practically forces one to hear these old ideas with fresh ears. By the same token, interviews suggest that the guy is well aware of the inherent goofiness of making unironic new age synthesizer music in 2013 & that helps keep it from being overly self-serious

All that being said I wasn't totally into Porblam Areas on first listen, but in combination with that other preview track it's making me picture some ethereal freeform deconstruction of 90s video game music, which sounds like an album I can totally get behind

Guest jasondonervan

I want more stuff of the quality of A Pact Between Strangers and Physical Memory if that's possible

In one way, I hate to say it but I think those days have passed for OPN. His early output is fairly prolific, but I think that from the perspective of an artist and the context of their output, the collective body that is Rifts can be looked upon in a similar light to Ricky D. Jam-meister and SAW II - it's a cherished set of work by fans, but we're unlikely to see a return to it. Did you check out the FRKWYS album he was a part of? That's quite nice, in an early-OPN style.

I think it's good how OPN has shown he's willing to take chances and try different things. I'm lucky in that for the most part, whatever he's thrown at the wall has stuck, it tickles my nostalgia receptors in just the right way.

Archived