IGNORED

Oneohtrix Point Never - R Plus Seven

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

easily one of the most overrated electronic artists out there atm.

just felt like i had to get that off my chest, sorry.

yeppppppers. doesn't mean I can't construct a good 10 boc ripoff album from the 5 or so albums of his I own.

yeah for sure. he's got a good number of "quite good" tunes. and an equal number of mediocre stuff. and a slightly less quantity of just plain bad tracks ("child soldier" should never have made it on to a record)

It's subjective, but I'd have to say I disagree completely. All qualitative measures aside, I think that he's one of the most influential artists around right now and his music has a distinct sound that I don't hear from others. He influenced the chillwave scene (and subscenes) a ton, and he's not even directly involved in it. Even other artists that I like a lot, like VHS Head or Actress, don't sound as unique as him. Maybe I just want to hear this, but I don't think that that's it.

god damn! I forgot about that one. OPN is too good. His stuff is ridiculously emotionally potent with relatively simple layering, instruments, and effects. Or at least, it seems simple because his musical choices are so eloquent.

*feels bad*

*reminds self that I don't have to stack up to geniuses*

:cry:

easily one of the most overrated electronic artists out there atm.

just felt like i had to get that off my chest, sorry.

yeppppppers. doesn't mean I can't construct a good 10 boc ripoff album from the 5 or so albums of his I own.

yeah for sure. he's got a good number of "quite good" tunes. and an equal number of mediocre stuff. and a slightly less quantity of just plain bad tracks ("child soldier" should never have made it on to a record)

It's subjective, but I'd have to say I disagree completely. All qualitative measures aside, I think that he's one of the most influential artists around right now and his music has a distinct sound that I don't hear from others. He influenced the chillwave scene (and subscenes) a ton, and he's not even directly involved in it. Even other artists that I like a lot, like VHS Head or Actress, don't sound as unique as him. Maybe I just want to hear this, but I don't think that that's it.

word. i didn't mean to shit on the thread or anything. i think you're definitely right that he has a distinct sound which is cool considering he various trajectories. i definitely like some of his tracks but i just can't go as far as saying he's great and i think he's yet to make a really strong album. but yeah, it's subjective and at the very least its cool to see an electronic artist generating so much positive publicity. just please no more "child soldier" thx

Yeah totally subjective as music can be, but i truly think of Rifts as a "major" electronic record, at least, my favorite electronic record, with oversteps, released from "recent" time. Another reason i truly respect OPN, is that, he managed, with Ford & Lopatin, to produce killers 80s pop/funk tracks, he mentionned Hell Interface somewhere & that's where they went on the Games/F&L records. I wish Boards of Canada/ Hell Interface had produced more tracks/remixes like Trapped or Midas Touch.

Guest jasondonervan

Everyone should watch this (it's 1.5 hours long). It's a really good insight into his methods/thought process, and basically cements the idea that DL is a genuine and articulate guy who's doing what he loves.

https://vimeo.com/32482687

basically cements the idea that DL is a genuine and articulate guy who's doing what he loves.

I do like the fact that he comes off as sort of a jokey chilled out stoner dude in interviews, because as much as I like the 5th dimensional new age aesthetic thing he does on the albums, I'd be kinda bummed if he was some sort of self-serious robe-wearing guru irl, constantly going on about the eternal return etc

Guest Rulohead32

WHETwhatWHETwhatWHETwhatWHETwhatWHETwhatWHETwhatWHETwhatWHETwhatWHETwhatWHETwhatWHETwhatWHETwhatWHETwhatWHETwhatWHETwhatWHETwhatWHETwhatWHETwhatWHETwhatWHETwhatWHETwhatWHETwhatWHETwhatWHETwhatWHETwhatWHETwhatWHETwhatWHETwhatWHETwhatWHETwhatWHETwhatWHETwhatWHETwhatWHETwhatWHETwhatWHETwhatWHETwhatWHETwhatWHETwhatWHETwhatWHETwhatWHETwhatWHETwhatWHETwhatWHETwhatWHETwhatWHETwhatWHETwhatWHETwhatWHETwhatWHETwhatWHETwhatWHETwhatWHETwhat

Guest jasondonervan

Yeah totally subjective as music can be, but i truly think of Rifts as a "major" electronic record, at least, my favorite electronic record, with oversteps, released from "recent" time.

I can subscribe to that. I discovered OPN through a long-defunct ambient/electronic tape-rip music blog, back around 08/09. The name kept coming up, so I grabbed a few bits like Hollyr, Ruined Lives and Betrayed In The Octagon, practically constructing the bulk of Rifts for myself before that compilation came out. For me, OPN filled that 'nostalgia through music' experience that - with Boards of Canada being absent for so long - I hadn't found any other musicians achieving, intentionally or not.

Yeah totally subjective as music can be, but i truly think of Rifts as a "major" electronic record, at least, my favorite electronic record, with oversteps, released from "recent" time. Another reason i truly respect OPN, is that, he managed, with Ford & Lopatin, to produce killers 80s pop/funk tracks, he mentionned Hell Interface somewhere & that's where they went on the Games/F&L records. I wish Boards of Canada/ Hell Interface had produced more tracks/remixes like Trapped or Midas Touch.

leaving some other points aside, i am surprised that people consider "rifts" a major record. i mean, it's a compilation. so structurally it really does leave much to be desired for that reason alone.

i maintain that he's super overrated but i definitely think he seems like the genuine article. i think he has it in him to do something truly original and put out a really strong album. just hasn't happened yet imo.

i know its a compilation, but Rifts has a perfect unity of style, flow etc. i dont know, i cant hardly name another electronic record that i appreciate more, released recently. I bought it a few years ago because someone here said it was the drone album that Boards of Canada should have made.

leaving some other points aside, i am surprised that people consider "rifts" a major record. i mean, it's a compilation. so structurally it really does leave much to be desired for that reason alone.

i maintain that he's super overrated but i definitely think he seems like the genuine article. i think he has it in him to do something truly original and put out a really strong album. just hasn't happened yet imo.

yeah cause WHERE DA DRUM MACHINES AT

honestly like why this dude doesn't do more with rhythm in general is completely beyond me.... gotta have a pulse, margie

honestly like why this dude doesn't do more with rhythm in general is completely beyond me.... gotta have a pulse, margie

Well there is kinduvan art to making atmospheric percussion that still brings the funk (see: all dat internet ambient where the drums are just dull echoy pings). It he had slapped some 808s into Rifts or Returnal it would have totally killed the vibe

Sounds like he's starting to get the hang of it on Replica with the thudding sample loops - tracks like Sleep Dealer almost kinda sorta have a jam going on. And the next record sounds like it's gonna expand on that angle & incorporate it into something maybe not quite so freeform & experimental.

That's part of the reason I like OPN. It very much feels like he's still in the "figuring out my sound" part of his career, & each new release has the potential to introduce a whole new palette of ideas

"figuring out" is imo a total cop out. i think he is really spearheading this lowered expectations thing, where people have to say he's "figuring out" his shit, they like him bc his work sucks. there used to be a time when you had to make a really good fucking album. i guess now we're all a bunch of pansies who love hearing some half-assed bullshit compilations instead.

*listens to exai*

Guest bitroast

i still think returnal and the material on rifts is him having 'figured it out'.

the music is so evocative and dreamike and emotional. it was some of my favourite music for a good year or so. it still would be but i've listened to it a few too many times*u*

"figuring out" is imo a total cop out. i think he is really spearheading this lowered expectations thing, where people have to say he's "figuring out" his shit, they like him bc his work sucks. there used to be a time when you had to make a really good fucking album. i guess now we're all a bunch of pansies who love hearing some half-assed bullshit compilations instead.

*listens to exai*

yeah, we get it already, golden days of idm are over, music kids listen to these days is shit

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it's half-assed. OPN, like many IDM musicians of olde, is actually really intricate with his work, within a experimental & minimal format.

I know you'll just discount this, but you should consider that the reason you feel the way you do about this music is probably because it's outside of your comfort zone. Things change, and people become more and more closed-minded, and cling to the things they liked as a young adult...

I normally wouldn't get upset or defensive about it, but it's baffling to me that you consider experimentation and unconventional music to be a bad thing. Besides, it's none of your business to decide whether an artist's work is finished or not. I don't care as much about Rifts, but if you can't respect that Replica, at least, is a fleshed out, inventive piece of modern art, I have no respect for you whatsoever.

*listens to exai*

yeah, we get it already, golden days of idm are over, music kids listen to these days is shit

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it's half-assed. OPN, like many IDM musicians of olde, is actually really intricate with his work, within a experimental & minimal format.

I know you'll just discount this, but you should consider that the reason you feel the way you do about this music is probably because it's outside of your comfort zone. Things change, and people become more and more closed-minded, and cling to the things they liked as a young adult...

I normally wouldn't get upset or defensive about it, but it's baffling to me that you consider experimentation and unconventional music to be a bad thing. Besides, it's none of your business to decide whether an artist's work is finished or not. I don't care as much about Rifts, but if you can't respect that Replica, at least, is a fleshed out, inventive piece of modern art, I have no respect for you whatsoever.

this post is weird.

i would genuinely love to hear how you back up any of the claims you make against me. to be clear, they are about how i am uncomfortable outside my comfort zone, i cling to things i liked as a young adult, etc.

tbh i've tried to remain respectful in this thread but i genuinely think opn is a hack.

I always find it surprising how excited people can get about OPN. Rifts and Returnal were nice to put on while I did other things, but he's only released a handful of gripping tracks. I really think a couple of Pye Corner Audio style beat driven tracks on each album would keep things interesting.

The loops from r+7 do sound really promising though.

I normally don't even like a lot of synth fetishist music, but Rifts has enough tracks that are just balls-to-the-wall awesome and if that's wrong I don't wanna be right. It's enough for me to vote Lopatin in the upcoming synth music primary election, thank you.

I agree that Rifts doesn't have amazing flow, but I don't think that it's meant to and I don't really care. I've always preferred OPN track-by-track (except That We Can Play), and this is totally okay with me. The reason I think he is as good as he is is because he is able to bring out emotion in a track in a way that other artists just can't. Even his Eccojams are waaaaay better than other people's attempts at the same thing, except maybe some of Ramona Huxley's stuff. Aesthetically, his music totally nails it. More of his songs have brought me to tears than any other artist I can think of. It's not like I sit there trying to understand how carefully planned each part of his song is*, I just feel the song, and I understand the concepts being portrayed. Eccojams is a beautiful postmodern deconstruction of meaning and meaninglessness in pop culture. Much of Rifts is like trying desperately to reach for the past to find meaning, but finding none. Not that I think these things were necessarily explicitly intended in the creation of the music, but I think it's what Daniel felt and what comes out in his music. He's able to communicate emotional concepts to me in a way that other artists don't.

I still think it's subjective, and there's nothing wrong with thinking he's bad. Keep in mind that his music is completely different ideologically from IDM. Definitely closer to Boards of Canada than Autechre.

this shit is swag af

*Not a bad thing though; it's really cool to deconstruct an entire song, especially with groups like Autechre or Hella.

Also I don't know why the text is the way it is.

WHETwhatWHETwhatWHETwhatWHETwhatWHETwhatWHETwhatWHETwhatWHETwhatWHETwhatWHETwhatWHETwhatWHETwhatWHETwhatWHETwhatWHETwhatWHETwhatWHETwhatWHETwhatWHETwhatWHETwhatWHETwhatWHETwhatWHETwhatWHETwhatWHETwhatWHETwhatWHETwhatWHETwhatWHETwhatWHETwhatWHETwhatWHETwhatWHETwhatWHETwhatWHETwhatWHETwhatWHETwhatWHETwhatWHETwhatWHETwhatWHETwhatWHETwhatWHETwhatWHETwhatWHETwhatWHETwhatWHETwhatWHETwhatWHETwhatWHETwhatWHETwhatWHETwhatWHETwhatWHETwhat

to me sounds like "footwerkfootwerkfootwerkfootwerkfootwerkfootwerk" maybe i've listened too much footwork/footcrab. Anyway great expectations from R+7 this 2013 is making me crazy.

Archived