IGNORED

Oneohtrix Point Never - R Plus Seven

Guest bitroast

The hecker lopatin album is pretty loose and hard to get into, I agree. I like it, but its pretty weird music coming from both of them. There's a sort of emotional detachment especially considering their solo output.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've listened to OPN a few times. It doesn't engage a full on hit in the special killing zone in my brain like Aphex and Company. It's good but I don't see the big deal. However this new album announced on Warp raises my interest ten-fold.

I've listened to OPN a few times. It doesn't engage a full on hit in the special killing zone in my brain like Aphex and Company. It's good but I don't see the big deal. However this new album announced on Warp raises my interest ten-fold.

There's something missing from his tracks, even when he's on.

Yeah I would turn that hate around to Florian Hecker instead. One has life... the other does not.

What do you define as 'life'?

I enjoy mai experimental electronics in a puzzling/challenging sense. breaking new ground (imo) in sound design.

Tim Hecker to me sounds like the result of drowning a U2 album in ambient effects.

Yeah I would turn that hate around to Florian Hecker instead. One has life... the other does not.

I enjoy mai experimental electronics in a puzzling/challenging sense. breaking new ground (imo) in sound design.

Tim Hecker to me sounds like the result of drowning a U2 album in ambient effects.

mood, emotion, atmosphere, etc. Sound design, by itself, is worthless. Florian Hecker's shit sounds like being in the mind a looney homeless dude.

I mean...

vs

One is a silly experiment, the other is a composition.

Pretty sure most of watmm loves Tim Hecker. Which is why I usually keep my dislike to myself.

But I am amused by the irony of a watmm member's argument against Florian Hecker pretty much being 'that's not music'.

mood, emotion, atmosphere, etc. Sound design, by itself, is worthless. Florian Hecker's shit sounds like being in the mind a looney homeless dude.

That's not an argument. These are reasons which Lady Gaga fan would use against Tim Hecker itself. African or asian human being may not feel anything towards 'emotional, moody athmosphere' and have all natural rights to be like that. So this is constructed myth about universal law of perception. It's not a composition either, Erik Satie - the predecessor of all things ambient, wasn't regarded (and still isn't by many) as composer and he himself didn't want to. Actually, it's Florian who deliberately compose his music and Tim who doesn't, doing layers over layers. And that means nothing in regard to quality of both.

That's not an argument. These are reasons which Lady Gaga fan would use against Tim Hecker itself. African or asian human being may not feel anything towards 'emotional, moody athmosphere' and have all natural rights to be like that. So this is constructed myth about universal law of perception. It's not a composition either, Erik Satie - the predecessor of all things ambient, wasn't regarded (and still isn't by many) as composer and he himself didn't want to. Actually, it's Florian who deliberately compose his music and Tim who doesn't, doing layers over layers. And that means nothing in regard to quality of both.

riker.gif

id much rather listen to 'silly experiments' than very bland 'composed' ambient music that doesn't evoke any unique sensations whatsoever

This is interesting because I feel it gets at the heart of why people prefer certain music over others.

Archived