IGNORED

Oneohtrix Point Never - R Plus Seven

from the same article

R Plus Seven' is such a reinvention of the musical game that it strikes me as a world generated almost from scratch by an artificial intelligence

i can't help but feel that the guy who wrote this has an extremely low musical vocabulary and/or lack of musical historical knowledge. Just such an utterly hyperbolic thing to say about this album. If he had said that about Exai or a new AE disc I could understand a new statement like that, but jesus christ it's hard to believe that someone genuinely feels that way about this album. Beyond the aesthetic presentation, including the videos I'm not sure how this album could even remotely qualify as a game changer in terms of music alone.

all this talk in the album about how hypnogogic and 'dream like' it sounds is the way I'd describe it if i had never heard a granular effect plugin before

delusion and ignorance is a hell of a combination

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i can't help but feel that the guy who wrote this has an extremely low musical vocabulary and/or lack of musical historical knowledge.

I'm generally not fond of people pointing at credentials as proof of anything, but being a Doctor of Musicology from Oxford University would usually require musical historical knowledge.

i can't help but feel that the guy who wrote this has an extremely low musical vocabulary and/or lack of musical historical knowledge.

I'm generally not fond of people pointing at credentials as proof of anything, but being a Doctor of Musicology from Oxford University would usually require musical historical knowledge.

wow, even more incredible then!

Guest bitroast

That is FFFFUUUCKEN AWESOME HOLY SHHHHHHHIIT!

Thanks for posting!

It's like what it would sound like if you took enough LSD for things and objects to get kind of gooey. And you got the jam jarre's Zoolook and Philip Glass' work and splurged them together in a big pot and stirred it around and around *u*

oh hey.

he played the track in his xlr8r set. that makes sense.

*downloading set now*

http://www.xlr8r.com/podcast/2013/09/oneohtrix-point-never

damn that "mash-up" of taylor deupree and three 6 mafia is amazing.

thought I'd recommend the soundtrack for the PS1 game policenauts, it's quite similar in a way to r+7

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUQsKPLJLww

A perhaps more widely documented case of Lansky-poaching (0:43-0:50)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZDxMb4nago

I always loved that sample. It also was one of the first compositions that made me realize how incredible and ground-breaking early electronic music was. It's incredible that was recorded on a IBM_3081

oh hey.

*downloading set now*

thought I'd recommend the soundtrack for the PS1 game policenauts, it's quite similar in a way to r+7

Whoa man, just 3 posts and this is one of them? Nice! Good recommendation. I've heard similar PS1 soundtrack music creep into some music elsewhere too - Burial comes to mind immediately but Elite Gymnastics have also deliberately sampled OST music from games like Final Fantasy

This album is hugely fresh for me but I could never go as far as talking about a "world generated from scratch". But, "we live the scene" as it were and decently wide creative jumps for us look like quantum leaps to others. In fact, it's always a bit depressing to pull the wind out of the sails of something "new" you really like. For instance, Paul Lansky accounts for the majority of R Plus 7 aesthetics and sound in just one song and album cover

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fh1rIBOGSPA&feature=youtube_gdata_player

*album cover does not match the song in this case but the point stands. It's almost the 20th anniversary of this song :crazy:

this is fabulous, great for Halloween

from the same article

R Plus Seven' is such a reinvention of the musical game that it strikes me as a world generated almost from scratch by an artificial intelligence

i can't help but feel that the guy who wrote this has an extremely low musical vocabulary and/or lack of musical historical knowledge. Just such an utterly hyperbolic thing to say about this album. If he had said that about Exai or a new AE disc I could understand a new statement like that, but jesus christ it's hard to believe that someone genuinely feels that way about this album. Beyond the aesthetic presentation, including the videos I'm not sure how this album could even remotely qualify as a game changer in terms of music alone.

all this talk in the album about how hypnogogic and 'dream like' it sounds is the way I'd describe it if i had never heard a granular effect plugin before

delusion and ignorance is a hell of a combination

I read the article more thoroughly and despite the hyperbolic statements, it wasn't that bad at all. I realized Adam Harper is the same blogger who highlighted examples of hauntology years ago. Reading his stuff is like reading watmm posts I suppose. It's like his excitement for the album drowned out a more critical take on the music. That's honestly something so many music writers suffer from right now: an inability to say, research historical context for critical comparison and analysis of music, especially in enthusiastic and positive reviews. Instead writers seem to pull a lot of solid references only to support their praise for something.

Either way, it was an ok write-up. I got a kick out of the Wargames reference at the end too.

what about ignorance and confidence?

That's great for music making, not music writing. Personally, I don't think it applies to OPN because he's clearly a knowledgeable musician. But ignorance + confidence is at the core of a lot of outsider and underground music (especially pre-internet) and I think that's great. It also requires a different set of criteria when discussing it. Again, that's partly why music journalism is a bit iffy right now - it's so easy for dozens of writers to suddenly geek out over an obscure release and make it something it's not.

This album is hugely fresh for me but I could never go as far as talking about a "world generated from scratch". But, "we live the scene" as it were and decently wide creative jumps for us look like quantum leaps to others. In fact, it's always a bit depressing to pull the wind out of the sails of something "new" you really like. For instance, Paul Lansky accounts for the majority of R Plus 7 aesthetics and sound in just one song and album cover

That's something I'm struggling with too. I've striven to become a lot less cynical and pissy about it (I realized the futility of that when dubstep blew up in 2010/2011). There's also such a short shelve-live on everything. There are entire scenes that literally crop up in a matter or weeks and months now. In the past there would often be years that would go by before one could even designate something as a genre or movement. Anytime I see someone hyped very quickly I ask myself...is this something most people have heard? Sometimes it isn't. Other types an artist is simply hyped by labels and their friends in the press. Sometimes it's both. OPN is just a unique case because many of us here at WATMM have followed him for years.

Also people, whether they be musicians, fans, or music journalists, are becoming so unpredictably excited over certain music too because so many arbitrary constraints and "rules" in electronic music and pop have been thrown out the window. It's incredible how conservative sampling was in the 80s and 90s: the same drum loops, the same presets, the same genre fusions. There were entire genres and careers based off things like the Juno hoover noise and amen breakbeat. That was also why IDM and musicians like Aphex Twin or AE or Boards of Canada, etc were so notable - they drew from new and original sources musically. Producers still do that now but with far more resources. RDJ made music through hours of experimentation with limited equipment and finite access to certain music. Now anyone with a computer can acquire an entire virtual studio, access just about every digitized copy of recorded music and media in existence for free. They can learn and research how to model their music around "existing" genres with a simple google search. So for someone like OPN to be particularly unique in his efforts, it's understandable that hype has ensued, at least beyond knowledgeable geeks like ourselves.

Guest Little Lord Faulteroy

Also people, whether they be musicians, fans, or music journalists, are becoming so unpredictably excited over certain music too because so many arbitrary constraints and "rules" in electronic music and pop have been thrown out the window. It's incredible how conservative sampling was in the 80s and 90s: the same drum loops, the same presets, the same genre fusions. There were entire genres and careers based off things like the Juno hoover noise and amen breakbeat. That was also why IDM and musicians like Aphex Twin or AE or Boards of Canada, etc were so notable - they drew from new and original sources musically. Producers still do that now but with far more resources. RDJ made music through hours of experimentation with limited equipment and finite access to certain music. Now anyone with a computer can acquire an entire virtual studio, access just about every digitized copy of recorded music and media in existence for free. They can learn and research how to model their music around "existing" genres with a simple google search. So for someone like OPN to be particularly unique in his efforts, it's understandable that hype has ensued, at least beyond knowledgeable geeks like ourselves.

oh hey.

*downloading set now*

Whoa man, just 3 posts and this is one of them? Nice! Good recommendation. I've heard similar PS1 soundtrack music creep into some music elsewhere too - Burial comes to mind immediately but Elite Gymnastics have also deliberately sampled OST music from games like Final Fantasy

haha, I've been lurking for a while... (seriously, this is easily the best electronic music forum! people seem to have a lot of knowledge and experience, but aren't assholes about it like on gearslutz) yeah, the OST of chrono trigger is another one, ryan hemsworth, groundislava and all those guys sample it all the time

I read the article more thoroughly and despite the hyperbolic statements, it wasn't that bad at all. I realized Adam Harper is the same blogger who highlighted examples of hauntology years ago. Reading his stuff is like reading watmm posts I suppose. It's like his excitement for the album drowned out a more critical take on the music. That's honestly something so many music writers suffer from right now: an inability to say, research historical context for critical comparison and analysis of music, especially in enthusiastic and positive reviews. Instead writers seem to pull a lot of solid references only to support their praise for something.

Since the essay was in the features section of the Dummy website rather than the reviews section, it would probably be better thought of as a 'thinkpiece'.

Only just bought this due to being not too impressed with the samples originally.

Holy shit, I was wrong to delay this.

I've only listened through once but there are so many moments of beauty on this album. Respect, Mr Lopatin!

sean said it best

for the record:

what do you think of OPN new album (R+7)?

brilliant, weird as fuck

like he folded vaporwave inside out

context got obliterated, music just got handed a ton of new parameters

for Alco:

742.gif

Guest murphythecat8

itits been a month I havent played the record. I played it a lot when it just got out, but I dont care for it anymore. Songs just take too much time to evolve. Whatever, I dont want to spoil the party

Archived