IGNORED

FM Synthesis (techniques, anecdotes)

Guest skibby

regarding dx11/tx81z
Mark Fell:
For example, I had a Yamaha TX81Z, which uses four-operator FM synthesis and had a few quirks to it. There was this mode, which rather than being multitimbral was like a multitimbral setup, but every time you press the note to progress to the next sound in the series of sounds that you specify. So every time you played a note it could produce not just a series of notes but a series of sound changes as well. So I just did loads of work with that, setting up simple sequences of sound changes and note changes that would go in and out of phase and things. That became one of the kinds of techniques that I still use today.

EDIT: ah shit i repeat myself

Edited by kausto
  • Like 5

On 9/29/2021 at 6:33 AM, kausto said:

regarding dx11/tx81z
Mark Fell:
For example, I had a Yamaha TX81Z, which uses four-operator FM synthesis and had a few quirks to it. There was this mode, which rather than being multitimbral was like a multitimbral setup, but every time you press the note to progress to the next sound in the series of sounds that you specify. So every time you played a note it could produce not just a series of notes but a series of sound changes as well. So I just did loads of work with that, setting up simple sequences of sound changes and note changes that would go in and out of phase and things. That became one of the kinds of techniques that I still use today.

Exactly- I think it’s a really cool thing that a lot of current fm stuff kinda passed by. Like- the newer fm stuff is a lot easier to use and get crazy with quickly- but still without either a lot of editing or modular techniques it’s pretty impossible to get the evolving things you would get on the old ones that had multi

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/29/2021 at 6:33 AM, kausto said:

regarding dx11/tx81z
Mark Fell:

Good ol' round-robin.

Its such a cool feature. Love it when synths can do that. Love synth sequencers with a round robin step modulation as well.(my tetra can do that)

Also, I asked them about the upcoming VFM synths and from what I understand it's going to be way more powerful on the sound design side (not that the essence FM is weak in that domain, but it look like a lot of people don't get the concept of the synth which is based on the massive polyphony and the stacking of multiple voices to create a patch) So more filter types, from what I see on the picture more operators and they just confirmed a formant based operator type, I think this will be the FS1R killer we're waiting for ! 

42 minutes ago, Nil said:

I see that Partials slider : additive ?

Kodamo What features would you like to see in the next-generation FM keyboards?
Do you like the current look?
Your feedback is welcome!
VFM keyboards will be available by the end of 2021/early 2022, they're powerful modern workstations that can be used for live or studio production.
Our goal is to make these instruments even more expressive than some currently announced keyboards, using FM synthesis and additional tricks to make the sound respond to different playing styles.

Me: more options for additive synthesis ?

Kodamo : Somehow yes, by using the new formant-based operators which can create an unlimited number of harmonics!

21 hours ago, cern said:

What is the best FM VST out there?

I heard that the FM8 is very thin and disappointing compared to a DX7. 

Depends on your definition of 'best' (most operators, wildest filters, most flexible routing, best ui) but If you want an exact DX7 sounding VST the 'best' would be the recent Plogue release OPS7 - https://www.plogue.com/products/chipsynth-ops7.html

22 hours ago, cern said:

The 3 Chipsynths (MD, PortaFM and OPS7) by Plogue ooze attitude and sound fantastic.

Still, Bazille by u-he is my very favorite (FM) synth : the way you can blend Yamaha FM (phase modulation) and Casio phase distorsion is beyond stellar. So many tricks up its sleeve, and such a gloriously lush tone.

FM8 is just plain boring.

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, Nil said:

Still, Bazille  ..... and such a gloriously lush tone.

Oh absolutely - Such a gloriously real-word sound that I always forget it's an FM synth. That and Diva are my top two 'wait that's not hardware?!' sounding synth VSTs

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Nil said:

FM8 is just plain boring.

i've never liked the interface but have gotten some really nice sounds out of it.. or well... sounds i like a lot. i think it can sound great.

the OP7 chipsound fromo plogue is great. i like it a lot. classic sounding but can be weird of course. 

the arturia dx7 is also good but interface is slow for me. lot's of clicking and dragging etc especially the envelopes. requires doing the same thing 10 times or whatever.. and like all arturia synths you have to program it to get rid of the sheen they put on everything that makes it super lame commercial plug in sounding.. but i've gotten lot's of good shit out of it. some wicked acid bass things.. but i don't enjoy using it. 

i wish every synth had the absynth morph feature where you can morph a preset a little bit over and over again. great way to 'find' sounds and starting places. 

edit: and totally agree about u-he stuff. i like it all. 

Edited by ignatius
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

very insightful.

SON[I]A talks to John Chowning and charts a historical overview of the different branches of his artistic career, focusing on his interest in the human voice, the creation of new sonorities, and being a pioneer in a discipline at a time when using computers to generate music was a leap into the void between creative eccentricity and scientific adventure.

https://rwm.macba.cat/en/sonia/sonia-212-john-chowning

Edited by iococoi
  • Like 1

The following is a short piece of audio that was edited out of the original podcast interview with Don Lewis back in November 2020, where he discusses his time programming the Yamaha DX7’s factory sounds. In the wake of Don’s passing, we decided to publish this excerpt and put on record his important contribution to this iconic synth.

https://www.soundonsound.com/people/don-lewis-programming-dx7-podcast

Edited by iococoi
  • Like 1

On 10/26/2021 at 11:12 AM, cern said:

I really like 

- not just FM either

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 10 months later...

While my mind hasn't changed one bit wrt Bazille, I've rediscovered Live's Operator and that it's quite a brillant synth IMO. I've patched (and still am) a Drum Rack halfway between my ideal version of a TR whatever and an imaginary Soulpride-inspired snare drum with and it's the most inspiring drum machine I've used.

The ploque op7 has a random button which is a very useful feature. The algorithms can't be changed though through some kind of matrix which is kind of annoying.