IGNORED

AAA - Ask Autechre Anything - Sean and Rob on WATMM!

Joyrex

This is not a question but I thought I'd share this recently un-earthed album by Wai Cheng who ran Isolate Records.

It's very reminiscent of some of your older material but perhaps a little darker and more depressing

https://optic-isolate.bandcamp.com/album/hardcore-indie-punk-muzak-for-angst-filled-rebellion

Wai recounted to me a fun story of meeting you guys once and getting to hang out on the tour bus for a little bit, I think Chris had introduced you guys. He said you had many bikini clad lady posters hanging up.  I also remember something (maybe untrue) about Sean being really mean to Moby at some point during one of the ATP festivals. Did you guys fuck with Moby?

Edited by John Ehrlichman

I also remember something (maybe untrue) about Sean being really mean to Moby at some point during one of the ATP festivals. Did you guys fuck with Moby?

I heard it was Aphex that was pestering Moby on some tour, hiding his shoes stuff like that. Moby got pissed and left.

I don't know, something I vaguely recall reading here.

I also remember something (maybe untrue) about Sean being really mean to Moby at some point during one of the ATP festivals. Did you guys fuck with Moby?

I heard it was Aphex that was pestering Moby on some tour, hiding his shoes stuff like that. Moby got pissed and left.I don't know, something I vaguely recall reading here.

Nah we've never been mean to Moby, we've been in the company of, once at a show, it was a bit clumsy, but he was courteous.

He gets picked on cos hes a bit older and skinnier and vegan, leave him alone - not funny.

are you happy with record labels like Modern Love that try to obscure the fact that they also own Boomkat ? Does this come off as slightly deceptive to you or do you have no opinion?

Also what are your feelings on bands that channel old school industrial vibes but don't seem to actually be making interesting music like Vatican Shadow who seems like he's molded his image entirely on Muslingauze

were you just as embarrassed as I was when Zomby donned the cover of The Wire magazine?

Edited by John Ehrlichman

If I ask any ?s that have already been answered, I'm sorry, ignore them. I'm late to this thread.

1. You said you like Shostakovich, any particular favorites?

2. What's the workflow between you two, is there a lot of real-time collaboration or is it mostly a relay?

3. Are any of the 2013 tracks solo tracks?

4. Why did you withdraw that one solo track from Mark Fell's podcast a year or so ago?

Edited by Joseph

2. What's the workflow between you two, is there a lot of real-time collaboration or is it mostly a relay?

Yeah I’d be interested to hear more about how exactly collaboration works. Even the boring parts like Dropbox, file-sharing systems, what sorts of files you send around (raw audio, full projects, etc.).

I’d also be interested in hearing about editing techniques as that’s something I can never really get right. I mean actual edits like stitching jams together or whatever. Just making the cuts smooth, figuring out how to cut stuff, or how to record it in the first place so it can be easily cut later.

there is a metaphysical approach in ae's music? something related to speculative realism, or object-oriented ontology that rejects the privileging of human existence over the existence of nonhuman objects, or just hyperrealism? whats the final goal of your music if it lasted for thousand years?

By nonhuman objects do u mean man made objects? Or other lifeforms?

all things made by men, whether physical or fictional: a panpsychic reality where humans and objects have the same dignity.[/size]

Whose dignity?

Rob this question for you was probably skipped:

What is your opinion on In Sides by Orbital and later evolution of the band to the more simplified, mainstream tunes (after Middle of Nowhere)?

Did guys just burnout but still wanted to make music no matter what?

Do you still write graff? What names did you used to write? Any old pictures?

No nothing beyond paper n pens nowadays, my peers were way more skilled than i was on walls, but i'd do a mad outline.

Sean had great alphabets. And was more mobile than me. No names pls

Rob this question for you was probably skipped:

What is your opinion on In Sides by Orbital and later evolution of the band to the more simplified, mainstream tunes (after Middle of Nowhere)?

Did guys just burnout but still wanted to make music no matter what?

orbital threw me a bit somewhere around snivilisation, but always loved their stuff from chime through green, brown, midnight - incredible, omen - incredible, belfast - incredible, and some more.

Do either of you keep up with the Manchester or your local graffiti scenes? Seeing as it's how you fellas met. Do you have favourite writers and do you still paint yourselves?

I asked something to this effect earlier but I think it got buried

Can one of you elaborate on some tracks that you think are particularly complex with a high level of attention to detail, or some tracks you found were a particular pain in the ass to finally finish? I could make some guesses but I'd like to hear your thoughts.

thanks for all the great music over the years. you changed my perception of music and the endless possibilites

i wish i had a useful question but i don't

is fermium a club / pop track in the world of untilted which is totally different from today in the far future or some other unidentified place? thats what i hear and i also see blue and gray on untilted.

and maybe

on exai did you recreate sounds from older albums but yet didnt source from actual old sounds? i feel like i hear kick drums from draft, vocals from untilted and so forth?