IGNORED

Would You Pay For A Digital Rip of The Unreleased Caustic Window LP

Joyrex

Crowdfunding Aphex Twin  

289 members have voted

1. 1. Would You Be Willing To Pay Up To 25.00USD For A Digital Rip of The Unreleased Caustic Window LP?

• Yes
    • No
    • Yes, but not 25.00

I think money could be saved hiring a couple of Yugoslavian war vets, preferably with experience doing bank jobs. Have them ransack his place for more musicals.

• Replies 611
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nah, we buy. original seller gets monies. we get copies of the music. JR resells and gives money to Richard.

Personally, I think that is sort of shortsighted. I mean, if we can pool 13.5K then let's get more shit. Buy this, then buy AB5, then buy MFM. After all the resells let's get something else.

We may consider doing that, assuming we get the blessings of those involved - perhaps have different levels for different releases?

25.00 - CWLP

30.00 - CWLP+ABB5

50.00 - CWLP,ABB5,MFM

I kinda hope Rephlex just turns around and puts the stuff up for sale on Rephlex.com - that way the fans get what they want, and can support the aritst/label. It wouldn't damage the sale of the physical releases that much, since most collectors buy these things to say they own it - the music itself is a nice byproduct of that.

You just can't control the leak factor. I don't know why anyone cares about it if they feel they've been adequately compensated but that shit will spread like wildfire with no way to stop it. It's just the age we live in.

But at least the fans who legitmately contributed will be compensating the artist - it's the same with any release these days, really - there are those who will legitimately buy it, and there will be those who will download it illegally.

I would definitely like to own lablel sanctioned, high quality copies of all three. That would be awesome.

Alright, so, assuming, arguendo,

(a) that Joyrex's proposal gets the Rephlex/RDJ imprimatur (and it probably won't), in writing;

(b) that the original seller isn't just running a scam; and,

(c ) that the item in question is actually in pristine, playable quality,

there remain a few important issues that need to be clarified before I would be willing to plonk down a full $25 on this, to wit:

(1) Who is doing the needle drop?

(2) How will that person be doing the needle drop? I mean, is Joyrex going to toss it on over to Audacity using a $80 crosley turntable with a built in USB pre-amp?

Uh, that's basically it, for me, actually.

I'd spend money on an officially-sanctioned release of this, but $25 for me requires some guarantee of sound quality, because I am a twat, so what, wanna fight about it

oscillik please do the needle drop

i was gonna say something like this. kinda surprised it took however many pages into the thread.

13.5G for a record, it should be ripped with the best turntable and a/d convertors possible, and made available in flac on top of mp3 options, if people are expected to pay 25$ for it. i think all that should be expected at 10$, because like JR said, if this story were picked up by certain media outlets, it prob wouldn't be impossible that over 1,000 people contributed. but the effort should be made to get the absolute best possible quality (which only requires the additional effort of finding someone trustworthy who will actually send the record back, and who has such a system...), if the effort is actually going to be made at all. just my opinion anyway.

another thing- i kinda think maybe it shouldn't be a case that you only expect to get the thing if you pay. if the price is lowered to $10 it could just be a community effort to get something archived, without much cost to each person involved. then it's made available to everyone, which would be less like the contributors are paying for a copy, and more like they are just paying to get something achieved, which to me seems less sleazy. the thing should be available to everyone if its going to be made available this way, imo. and besides, someone WOULD leak it out anyway, so why not just head that off and give it away up front?

This could very well be some kind of guerrilla-style Rephlex crowdfunding project, and if that's the case, that's pretty exciting. Could mean something official Aphexian is in the works. (:

I wouldn't be surprised if this were the case, especially given the speedy sanctioning from Camp Rephlex and the supposed Kickstarter hint from Grant. I could totally see this as being either another one of their 'Consumer Psychology Research' projects, or who knows, maybe the seller is someone from the inner circle who just needs the money really badly. Either way I'd definitely pony up the $25 if this were to go Kickstarter, given that

a) with Kickstarter no money is taken unless the project is successfully funded

and

b) if this were on Kickstarter chances are Pitchfork and other media outlets WOULD jump all over this project, and it would probably well exceed the $13,500 mark.

Ideally what I think would be really cool but is probably pipe dreaming is if the extra money from a Kickstarter could be used to fund the pressing of the record that could then be distributed to all of the donors of the Kickstarter project at a certain pledge level. Then sell off the original on Ebay for Richie's pub fund...

This could very well be some kind of guerrilla-style Rephlex crowdfunding project, and if that's the case, that's pretty exciting. Could mean something official Aphexian is in the works. (:

I wouldn't be surprised if this were the case, especially given the speedy sanctioning from Camp Rephlex and the supposed Kickstarter hint from Grant. I could totally see this as being either another one of their 'Consumer Psychology Research' projects, or who knows, maybe the seller is someone from the inner circle who just needs the money really badly. Either way I'd definitely pony up the $25 if this were to go Kickstarter, given that

a) with Kickstarter no money is taken unless the project is successfully funded

and

b) if this were on Kickstarter chances are Pitchfork and other media outlets WOULD jump all over this project, and it would probably well exceed the $13,500 mark.

Ideally what I think would be really cool but is probably pipe dreaming is if the extra money from a Kickstarter could be used to fund the pressing of the record that could then be distributed to all of the donors of the Kickstarter project at a certain pledge level. Then sell off the original on Ebay for Richie's pub fund...

Good points. Might be good timing for some publicity with Record Store day coming up soon also.

Just popped in to say I'd never expect this not to leak from people that paid to get a rip of it. 500+ people getting a rip, and it not leaking from any of them? Impossible. The plan needs tweeks.

If you're paying, you'll just be helping the rest of the world to get it, I know that much.

as much as i like the idea/intention behind this, i honestly feel very uncomfortable justifying a reason to pay that much (i mean total amount of $13,500USD) for a record. i mean, didn't he just come to that figure based on his (correct) assumption that "someone would pay that much" as opposed to just properly valuing the item?

i'd also be curious what richard/rephlex's opinion about this is. i see this kind of thing happening a lot on discogs and i can't lie but say it's something i'm really against

i agree with this but also would like to hear it. The one thing i'm unsure on is how do we know absolutely for sure these are all tracks we've never heard before? Maybe ive been out the loop on all the known unreleased aphex. Do we have a tracklist of any kind?

as much as i like the idea/intention behind this, i honestly feel very uncomfortable justifying a reason to pay that much (i mean total amount of $13,500USD) for a record. i mean, didn't he just come to that figure based on his (correct) assumption that "someone would pay that much" as opposed to just properly valuing the item?

i'd also be curious what richard/rephlex's opinion about this is. i see this kind of thing happening a lot on discogs and i can't lie but say it's something i'm really against

i agree with this but also would like to hear it. The one thing i'm unsure on is how do we know absolutely for sure these are all tracks we've never heard before? Maybe ive been out the loop on all the known unreleased aphex. Do we have a tracklist of any kind?

Only a track-by-track description posted by Mike P. during the joyrex.com days:

It has hand written labels by RDJ (Richard D. James):

SIDE 1 in black marker pen: "CAUSTIC WINDOW LP 33 1/3 SIDE A REPHLEX" in the run out groove: "CAT 023-A1 A PORKY PRIME CUT": There are two tracks on side A,

the first is a subtle melodic grower, with hi q's; pianoish DX sounds & woodwind type synths. Nice but not very immediate.

Track 2 is *much* more like it: Industrial type drums straight out of J5 and the catchiest afx acid line (not 303). Builds and builds with pad sounds & percessive held chords in a spooky fashion.

SIDE 2 Same hand written info except it says: "SIDE B" in black marker pen and in the run out groove it's the same but says side "L" 5 Tracks on B:

Track 1) called "muttley" by Richard.It features samples from "dastardly & Muttley" (Wacky Races Cartoon) starting off with Dastardly shouting "Muttley!" then Muttley the dog going "RashingFrashingWrarraFrarraWrash". Other samples: A girl speaking: "You know I don't even know why you bother talking" and the track ends with "what an utterly fantastical journey" (unknown sample) As regards to the music, it starts with a monophonic synth line doing a percussive riff up 4 notes, joined by another sound a few bars later. Then the drums kick in. Bass and snare from Phloam, sort of metallic guiro and clangs from Schottkey. Halfway through an orchestral string chords sample comes in, and the girl speaking sample appears. It's a great track, very SAW85-92 in period.

Track 2) Happy, jolly little track with high pitched bell-like hihats acid sounds and long square wave bass note. Random dat glitches spice up the percussion. The melody comes from the interplay of tuned bass drum & tuned metal hihats.

Track 3) Wow! This is a treat for fans of SOSW. Starts with Roland R8 hihats, then a marimba melody & the BD Kikkz in with an acidicish line. marimba fades in again. Then a BB1 DX pad in 5ths (lots of reverb) makes it fuckin lush. Drum break then the track restarts with stabs from Audax powder, then acid & marimba. Track ends wth drums.

Track 4) My favourite: Noisey drum loops (Tuned white noise?) acid pokes. Bass drum from Hedphelym or the B-sides to ABB2. Also odd bell like High melodies & metallic sampled melodies! very odd track.

Track 5) Tribal bongos, Quoth Bd kik & "a,aphex-a,aphex"samples. About 1 min. long.

SIDE 3 Handwritten on label: "CW LP side C" and in the run out groove it says; "THIRD REICH VETERANS WILL NOT JOIN VICTORY WAR PARADE. CAT 023 -01" 4 tracks

Track 1) Very simple synth melody & 4/4 kik drum / snare joined later by emotional sounding soft detuned string notes. Hihats and hi Q's join later and lo-bandwidth metallic samples.

Track 2) A very early track. One of the 1st he did. Childish squeaky acid line. Crap piano riff. Redeemed by lush strings & reverb on certain drum sounds, which might have indicated Here was a future talent.

Track 3) Square wave bassline, melodic held acid line, R8 drums. Simple lovely very Aphex.

Track 4) Jazz fusion aphex! Drum sounds similar to Gak. Sounds like Gak in fact except for a low farting bass and muted jazzy piano riff & overlaid solos.

SIDE 4 "CAUSTIC WINDOW LP . side D" handwritten in black on label in runout groove: "CAT 023 - G1 A PORKY PRIME CUT " 5 tracks

Track 1) An ambient track. This was a reject from SAW85-92 and is unspeakably lovely. A monophonic synth weaves around soft flutes to devastating effect. The synth filter opens & closes to emphasise the riff at certain times, & the flute goes freestyle towards the end. Metallic percussion invades the song at times complementing the groovy momentum gathered by the main riff.

Track 2) This is Phlaps off the criminal justice bill comp.

Track 3) This is Cunt off TEX 3

Track 4) This is a phone call between Mixmaster Morris & Scanner. Richard got 2 phones, rang them both (one to Morris, one to Scanner) and luckily they both answered simultaneously. What follows is very funny. Both Morris & Robin think each other has initiated the call and confusion reigns. This increases as a third voice enters the fray (RDJ). Eventually they recognise him as Richard: "If you put the phone down your gonna die.. "

Track 5) Same trick between Chris Jeffs (Cylob) & Michael Paradinas. This time Cylob figures it out straight away but the funniest bit is where he says "I think Richard wants us to talk to each other", to which Michael replies "Oh great..." track (& album) ends.

You can post this info on the joyrex site [...] or wherever. I promised Richard not to let anyone have copies. I stick to that.

Voted 'no'. Not that I don't want to hear this LP or that $25 is too much for the "digital vinyls". But out of principal, I would hate to support and reinforce whatever individual is profiteering off of the rarity of this material.

I basically think the artist (RDJ) or label should have some say in whether this music should get released - whether it be a blessing or acknowledgement of this seller and our plan as a whole, or releasing the digital files themselves to allow transparency in getting the money to the people who deserve it.

There must be some way other than plopping a ludicrous 13.5k in the lap of this magical record-holder.

*puts on tin-foil hat, then sucks tin-foil dick*

isn't it likely that after the 'hate' Mike P received for his BOC tape sale that he's deciding to sell the rest of his rarities anonymously or through a proxy?

Guest Retrig

Given a couple weeks, I'd put down $100. If you can't afford it, fair. But who wouldn't be down for this?
Go choke on your night out. You could have double LP Aphex to listen to.

Guest Retrig

Voted 'no'. Not that I don't want to hear this LP or that $25 is too much for the "digital vinyls". But out of principal, I would hate to support and reinforce whatever individual is profiteering off of the rarity of this material.

If the 5th copy was given to Tom Squarepusher, would you feel the same?

I basically think the artist (RDJ) or label should have some say in whether this music should get released - whether it be a blessing or acknowledgement of this seller and our plan as a whole, or releasing the digital files themselves to allow transparency in getting the money to the people who deserve it.

This was already stated. It won't happen if Richard or Grant say no.

There must be some way other than plopping a ludicrous 13.5k in the lap of this magical record-holder.

That's exactly what is trying to happen here. :cisfor:

Edit "ludicrous". Yeah, I suppose so. I like to get drunk and talk shit (How you all doing tonight!?), but at the end of the day, I'm a fan too.

Some people would shit out 13.5k and buy a car for fun.

I'd rather listen to this, and if I could afford it, I'd own it. But I can't, so let's all share.

Just popped in to say I'd never expect this not to leak from people that paid to get a rip of it. 500+ people getting a rip, and it not leaking from any of them? Impossible. The plan needs tweeks.

If you're paying, you'll just be helping the rest of the world to get it, I know that much.

So if this project succeeds, everybody will have unreleased Aphex tracks. Something wrong with that?

Archived