IGNORED

APHEX TWIN - SYRO

chim

heard it three times now and it doesn't work for me. not at all. i think the whole thing is a complete mess. to me it sounds like he was fiddleling around without having the slightest idea where to go with these tracks. i like minipops, the metz-thing (is the live version faster? not sure) and the piano piece. 180db is funny and likeable, it sounds silly, playful and completely idiotic. a good joke, not a good track. papat4 starts off great but destroys itself on the way. syro has its short funky moments, but the rest is so random and messy. i really hope this album was the last part of this anal/tussy phase. i love the guy, but... 4/10

Random?

yes, random. i don't get your point

he did say "It just totally makes me want to not do anything else in that particular style." so you're in luck!

heard it three times now and it doesn't work for me. not at all. i think the whole thing is a complete mess. to me it sounds like he was fiddleling around without having the slightest idea where to go with these tracks. i like minipops, the metz-thing (is the live version faster? not sure) and the piano piece. 180db is funny and likeable, it sounds silly, playful and completely idiotic. a good joke, not a good track. papat4 starts off great but destroys itself on the way. syro (the track) has its short funky moments, but the rest is so random and messy. i really hope this album was the last part of this anal/tussy phase. i love the guy, but... 4/10

Did you like all aphex releases right away? Let's talk again in 3 weeks

actually i did. never had any probs "getting" his music. didn't like drukqs, the analords or tuss. i really hope he will move in a (completely) different direction.

having said that: i'm sure i will listen to syro more often than boc's TH. :wink:

The way he makes those synths shimmer, just WOW. The sound design is breathtaking and in a lot of the tracks it just sort of slowly creeps up on you and you find yourself just listening in awe. CIRCLONT14 on the Audio Technicas is just amazingly loud but so so crisp. The whole thing is like your first MDMA trip.

I feel like he's been incredibly brave using so many raw synth sounds together with so little processing. Most producers would instinctively push things back in the mix with reverb and stuff, but on Syro they're all right at the front jostling for position, and it all works so well!

that's what gives me a much stronger analord 1-9, 11 vibe of all these 'raw synth' tracks. It sounds like work-flow wise the setup was closer to Analord than Rushup Edge. Whereas Rushup had a lot of post-processing/mini edits and breakbeats with the synths, this to me sounds like almost all hardware sounds (the noisefloor is even more pronounced on some of these than Analord too)

it's just astounding to me how 'off' professional music reviews of 15 years can be about the sounds being used in a particular record. Joe Muggs said every song was 'acid + breakbeats" or something to that effect. it's by far the most purely synth heavy record he's ever put out besides analord.

Edited by John Ehrlichman

heard it three times now and it doesn't work for me. not at all. i think the whole thing is a complete mess. to me it sounds like he was fiddleling around without having the slightest idea where to go with these tracks. i like minipops, the metz-thing (is the live version faster? not sure) and the piano piece. 180db is funny and likeable, it sounds silly, playful and completely idiotic. a good joke, not a good track. papat4 starts off great but destroys itself on the way. syro has its short funky moments, but the rest is so random and messy. i really hope this album was the last part of this anal/tussy phase. i love the guy, but... 4/10

Random?

yes, random. i don't get your point

he did say "It just totally makes me want to not do anything else in that particular style." so you're in luck!

oh, he did? glad to hear that :w00t:

For me it's striking a balance between plain groovy fun and all the intricacy and diversity you'd expect from an Aphex Twin record. Great upon first impression and bound to open up further with repeated listens (if minipops is anything to go by), love it already.

my biggest 'complaint' and its not really a complaint at all just was expecting a real dark/evil belter like Death Fuck.

You're right, there's no in your face darkness in this album. Man in his forties, millionaire, living with his wife and children, easy-going life. I guess it's his happy album.

anyone else surprised by the amount of SAWIII style bleeding/slow attack ambient pads appearing all over the album? I don't remember hearing stuff like this even on Drukqs

8:46 in Xmas Evet10 = sounds like a really good parliament funkadelic interlude, those handdrum/cowbell alike sounds are great

Edited by John Ehrlichman

I heard Squarepusher is intensely studying Syro these days to see how he could catch up with his idol.

"Damn, he had me again. Now everyone will know that Ufabulum was influenced by all the tracks he's been sending me these last 8 years. And he said publicly that I got the robot idea from him and that my version of it sucks. I should release my electro-mechanical tracks before he does or else people may start taking notice. He told them about that too? I'm fucked."

Guest Atom Dowry Firth

The way he makes those synths shimmer, just WOW. The sound design is breathtaking and in a lot of the tracks it just sort of slowly creeps up on you and you find yourself just listening in awe. CIRCLONT14 on the Audio Technicas is just amazingly loud but so so crisp. The whole thing is like your first MDMA trip.

I feel like he's been incredibly brave using so many raw synth sounds together with so little processing. Most producers would instinctively push things back in the mix with reverb and stuff, but on Syro they're all right at the front jostling for position, and it all works so well!

that's what gives me a much stronger analord 1-9, 11 vibe of all these 'raw synth' tracks. It sounds like work-flow wise the setup was closer to Analord than Rushup Edge. Whereas Rushup had a lot of post-processing/mini edits and breakbeats with the synths, this to me sounds like almost all hardware sounds (the noisefloor is even more pronounced on some of these than Analord too)

it's just astounding to me how 'off' professional music reviews of 15 years can be about the sounds being used in a particular record. Joe Muggs said every song was 'acid + breakbeats" or something to that effect. it's by far the most purely synth heavy record he's ever put out besides analord.

Yeah, a lot of people just really don't know how to describe things I guess. lel. This album doesn't sound anything like Drukqs, or Tuss, or even Analord to me (although I think you're right about the almost all hardware comparison in regards to the latter). Was surprised at how laid back it is, just really relaxed fun tunes all of it. That last half of XMAS_EVET10 tho. Amazon. That track really stood out on first listen. People who were saying things like 'this is Tuss +++', combined with the bpm info on these tracks, combined with things people were saying like 'experimental, gets really crazy towards the end' had me pulling a face like this expecting some insanely dank Death Fuck on steroids insanity or something

bushbaby.gif

But actually despite the fast bpm that second to last track doesn't feel frantic at all, and the transition into Aisatsana isn't jarring like I feared it might have been from people saying they thought it felt 'tacked on'. Absolutely love the last track, so so so good. Cri everytiem. Looking forward to getting to know this album better and really looking forward to getting the wax in the post too

It was funny to read that bit about Autechre saying everybodys doing the robot drum thing :)

In the Pitchfork interview, Master Richard mentions re-amping, the only other recording artists in electronica I've heard doing that quite blatantly (lets just say lately) is The Tuss and Mattias Östling. (especially rolando simmons stuff if i recall)

a lot of people who've figured out how could it can sound probably just keep it a secret.