IGNORED

First Comet Landing In Human History

o00o

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is it just me or is the probe lying sideways? Oh well, close enough. :)

On a body with such low gravity and high relief as this, "sideways" doesn't really mean much! It seems to have landed/docked pretty satisfactorily, so all is good!

I wanna know what type of chondrite its composition matches the closest. Cometary petrology/geochemistry = IDM

On a body with such low gravity and high relief as this, "sideways" doesn't really mean much! It seems to have landed/docked pretty satisfactorily, so all is good!

I knew somebody would point that out. Ok: It looks like the up-vector is perpendicular to the surface normal. There. Happy? ;)

Btw.: Apparently the lander may have drifted several hundred meters into space before landing again. Impressive.

It's just a big rock in space though isn't it. Bah hubble-bug.

like the one we live on. For me the most interesting thing about it is that the comet is basically like a spaceship coming from much further away than anything inside our solar system. This makes it much more alien than any planet in the solar system we could go to. And it has water / ice which is also very unique and essential if you are looking for non-terrestrial life.

like the one we live on. For me the most interesting thing about it is that the comet is basically like a spaceship coming from much further away than anything inside our solar system. This makes it much more alien than any planet in the solar system we could go to. And it has water / ice which is also very unique and essential if you are looking for non-terrestrial life.

Geek

Guest jasondonervan

It's a giant fossilised terrier, didn't you see my extensive imaging research for ESA above?

It will also tell much about how our solar system evolved and if it contains water with the same isotopes as our water here, which would lend credence to the theory that the water on Earth came from comets bombarding the primordial Earth billions of years ago.

Guest skytree

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iuPXlOenYo

Interesting to note here is that the rotational period of the comet is 12.4 hours. The 11th octave harmonic of this periodicity is approx. 21.7969 seconds, very close to the frequency of the pulses we hear in this transduced EM recording.

My frequency analysis (in octaves/notes) from Ableton is attached - you can see lots of harmonics in the octave/fifth regions.

67-P_Rosetta_mission_recording_0.5x_speed_spectrogram_notes.tiff

Some great drama going on with this thing, will they be able to move it to charge its batteries? Would be so tragic if they couldn't move it. It's so sad when space probes die. Like when the Huygens lander sat on the surface of Titan, the orbiter moving too far away to receive signals, Huygens still functioning but forever alone :'-(

Guest skytree

Man...was just daydreaming of how much instantaneous/faster-than-light communications would revolutionize robotic space exploration...one day maybe.

quantum entanglement is the only possibility and that ain't looking good.

"If a distinguished scientist says that something is possible, he is almost certainly right; but if he says that it is impossible, he is very probably wrong."

- Arthur C. Clarke

This. So much incredible data to potentially wade through - glad the harpoons successfully fired today!

Archived