IGNORED

Better Call Saul (spoilers ahoy)

Rubin Farr

you didn't do the sex robot voice did you

heh. They're tap dancing around some odd sex things in Jimmy's character. Soliciting/exposing himself? to an underage girl in the intro (rather vague, I'm sure there'll be more illumintation on that in the future). Sex robot voice, among other things.

this is alright

But the bit where Saul was protecting the two skater kids was a bit unconvincing. That mexican guy was way too patient/dumb listening to all the bs from Saul for it to be real.

Something is off in these series for me. Can't really put my finger on it... It is written, directed and acted extremely professional, I am convinced by the performances and shots and general pacing, but still. It's like they can't define the tone for the series - a good example is the scene in episode 3 where (minor spoilers ahead) he gets up in the middle of the night and drives to a telephone booth to scare-call that rich family. What was this scene trying to do to me? Music was made well but it also didn't know where exactly it was going - was it goofy? Menacing? It is like Breaking Bad lite - we have a character that will eventually "break bad" but not in such a extreme way. The irony is of course that Breaking Bad was also more funny than Saul. So we are left with a strangely unfunny series that knows it is following a much more bland lead character than Walt and still tries to make it work. Of course I don't want to compare the two too much but that's what you get with a spin-off. You know what? Yes, they SHOULD make the series all the way goofy. Cause now we are watching Saul or whatever his name is being depressed and that's just because writers didn't want to go too far from the original BB. They should go all the way in the other direction. Instead this is something in between.

well said,

though I think they know what they're doing there... kinda sorta transporting saul's dissatisfaction with his life to the viewer..

it's bound to become more satisfying with progress..

hopefully :)

What a great show. I think the Kettleman's are going to go behind bars for a long time and i wouldn't be surprised to see Tuco and his gran join them in there along with the guy with the bell. Saul was right to go after the Kettleman's so tirelessly, they represent the ghastly side of suburbia. Selfish greedy scuzballs masquerading as Ned Flanders types. Audiences hate them worse than cold hearted killers.

after my initial complaints ive warmed up to the show, but the music is pretty bad in parts. It sounds very dated to me, like early 00's TV show music made on bad sampling libraries. Even breaking bad's OST sounded at times to me dated when it was airing, this is even a step below. I couldnt believe it when they playued what sounded like a financial planning radio show 80s disco song during the skater heist, but a disco song that had been made in Apple garage band

Edited by John Ehrlichman

I find the music not distracting...so it's just good enough. I usually notice if a soundtrack to a movie/series is good, but neither BB or BCS caught my attention. But is the theme to BCS a reworking of the BB theme or am I imagining things.

Edited by azatoth

after my initial complaints ive warmed up to the show, but the music is pretty bad in parts. It sounds very dated to me, like early 00's TV show music made on bad sampling libraries. Even breaking bad's OST sounded at times to me dated when it was airing, this is even a step below. I couldnt believe it when they playued what sounded like a financial planning radio show 80s disco song during the skater heist, but a disco song that had been made in Apple garage band

you should make the music!!!!!

it was definitely an episode.

honestly how the fuck could you think this

anyone else kinda being taken out of the timeframe by the language they were using? isn't it supposed to be early 00s with flashbacks to the 90s? i can't think of any examples off hand but they were using really current memey esque speak and i was kinda thrown off by it. maybe i'm nit picking though i really do love it so far. definitley can't wait till next weeks ep.