IGNORED

Spotify In Talks To Buy SoundCloud

Joyrex

they have a lot of users and growing, they're the most successful streaming service by that metric, but make no profit. In fact they lose a bit of money all the time and keep themselves solvent by loans and Investments.

emKuf8V.jpg

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/2016/05/24/spotifys-revenue-hits-2bn-but-when-will-it-make-money/

That model's not going to sustain itself for long - the investments will run out, the layoffs will begin, and SpotifyCloud (the new company name) will get bought by Farcebook or Gobble (ha) and then possibly something will be done with it that will generate profits.

yea something like that... tbh it's kind of surprising how some of these companies can just plod along for extended amounts of time, e.g. Blackberry still exists, Twitter has been stuck since ca 5 years with a tendency of becoming worse and worse and no real plan, yet it still exists, etc...

I think one counter example is amazon, think they also made no profit for a really long time, but somehow they're super successful just by sheer mass or something.

yea something like that... tbh it's kind of surprising how some of these companies can just plod along for extended amounts of time, e.g. Blackberry still exists, Twitter has been stuck since ca 5 years with a tendency of becoming worse and worse and no real plan, yet it still exists, etc...

I think one counter example is amazon, think they also made no profit for a really long time, but somehow they're super successful just by sheer mass or something.

BlackBerry actually is not doing too bad since they've transitioned to being a software company - they just announced they are no longer going to make hardware.

Amazon is making profits now, and I bet in 10 years or less, it will eclipse Apple and Google as the #1 company. They're even challenging FedEx and UPS now and considering doing their own deliveries (and probably others too - Amazon Prime Shipping, anyone?)

SpotifyCloud (the new company name) will get bought by Farcebook or Gobble (ha) and then possibly something will be done with it that will generate profits.

Probably something that involves taking users' private data and making it less private, if my experience with Google is anthing to go by.

SpotifyCloud (the new company name) will get bought by Farcebook or Gobble (ha) and then possibly something will be done with it that will generate profits.

Probably something that involves taking users' private data and making it less private, if my experience with Google is anthing to go by.

I'm a big user of Google's products, and I keep hearing this "Google invades my privacy" stuff all the time - is there anything (from your experience) you can point to that illustrates this? Not trying to be argumentative, I really just want to know how people perceive this as a violation of privacy.

I'm a big user of Google's products, and I keep hearing this "Google invades my privacy" stuff all the time - is there anything (from your experience) you can point to that illustrates this?

Yes. For about a decade I've been in the habit of arguing about mathematics with crackpots on Usenet - people who claim to have found simple solutions to famous problems, or found errors in established theorems, that kind of thing. If you've spent much time on Usenet it won't surprise you to learn that some of those people are literally insane. At least one of them has a history of contacting people's employers trying to get them fired for "lying" about his mathematics. Consequently, I do not post under my real name. However, as of a few years ago, if you go to the Google Groups archive of any thread I've posted in and mouseover the name "Rotwang" at the top of one of my posts, a frame will appear that shows my real name. I do not believe I have ever given my real name to Google, but since the image that accompanies it is taken from my YouTube account I can only assume that I gave my real name to YouTube when I signed up with the same email address, back in the days before YT was purchased by Google.

BlackBerry actually is not doing too bad since they've transitioned to being a software company - they just announced they are no longer going to make hardware.

Amazon is making profits now, and I bet in 10 years or less, it will eclipse Apple and Google as the #1 company. They're even challenging FedEx and UPS now and considering doing their own deliveries (and probably others too - Amazon Prime Shipping, anyone?)

They are sort of already doing their own deliveries/shipping -- if you live in an Amazon Fresh area and subscribe to that service, you can get almost any Amazon item delivered by their grocery truck along with your food order. 

I'm a big user of Google's products, and I keep hearing this "Google invades my privacy" stuff all the time - is there anything (from your experience) you can point to that illustrates this?

Yes. For about a decade I've been in the habit of arguing about mathematics with crackpots on Usenet - people who claim to have found simple solutions to famous problems, or found errors in established theorems, that kind of thing. If you've spent much time on Usenet it won't surprise you to learn that some of those people are literally insane. At least one of them has a history of contacting people's employers trying to get them fired for "lying" about his mathematics. Consequently, I do not post under my real name. However, as of a few years ago, if you go to the Google Groups archive of any thread I've posted in and mouseover the name "Rotwang" at the top of one of my posts, a frame will appear that shows my real name. I do not believe I have ever given my real name to Google, but since the image that accompanies it is taken from my YouTube account I can only assume that I gave my real name to YouTube when I signed up with the same email address, back in the days before YT was purchased by Google.

Are you sure you're not using your real name as your gmail account name? I recently realised my full name was showing up on my YT comments because it was the name I entered as my gmail name. Sorry if too obvious.

They are sort of already doing their own deliveries/shipping -- if you live in an Amazon Fresh area and subscribe to that service, you can get almost any Amazon item delivered by their grocery truck along with your food order. 

I saw an Amazon van (driven by an Amazon girl in Amazon polo shirt) in my neighbourhood on the way home the other day... I guess that's what that was!

You might want to have a look here: https://myaccount.google.com/

Archived