IGNORED

that one hipster house genre

marian

• Replies 441
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I heard someone once call this genre "microhouse." I have nothing to add about that but it seems a fairly innocuous descriptor that could be used.

I think they were mistaken or using that term wrong - microhouse was like a take on minimal techno and glitch, but with a house tempo, vibe, etc. back in the mid-2000s

in other words it was very subtle and "neat sounding" stuff - the label Kompakt really honed in on microhouse especially on their Total compilations like this one

that said all of these scenes overlap

BINGO!

I knew there was an existing name coined for this stuff

I heard someone once call this genre "microhouse." I have nothing to add about that but it seems a fairly innocuous descriptor that could be used.

I think they were mistaken or using that term wrong - microhouse was like a take on minimal techno and glitch, but with a house tempo, vibe, etc. back in the mid-2000s

in other words it was very subtle and "neat sounding" stuff - the label Kompakt really honed in on microhouse especially on their Total compilations like this one

that said all of these scenes overlap

BINGO!

I knew there was an existing name coined for this stuff

Ahh okay, gotcha, thanks for the clarification. There's so many subgenres of music, particularly electronic music these days, I barely try and classify anything anymore.

This thread makes apparent just how much genres are quite time-specific...  (duh)  Interesting.

Cuz first off-- the OP tracks are pretty good (!), but they're just "(old school) house", Detroit influence yadda yadda, style circa 1991~1994 or something like that (the pump shuffle house style was pretty huge when in the pop music scene, new jack swing was in vogue).  Because if you have any old school house cassette tapes from that era- produced with relatively high-end equipment of the time- it'll sound sorta like OP tracks.  But since we're in the future, all of a sudden if that cassette sound is used, it's "lo-fi". 

No wonder why elementary school kids don't know good drum n bass...  

You have to call it "lo-fi old-school vinyl-samplist bro-core 9000", and then they're like, "Oooooh, yah- I know Photek."

man this thread is triggering me.

it's called LoFi, but lots of the stuff people have been making in 2016 is what i call "BroFi"

you can basically learn everything you need to know about lofi by going to my soundcloud and clicking through my followers/following. i started trying to make it in Q3 2014.

outsider house is another good term but that i think should be applied to EARLY lofi, like huerco s. the main rallying release for me was Huerco S - Colonial patterns, but even that is him straying from the more traditional lofi sound that i'd say began to gain strength in 2012. Terekke, Route 8, etc.

but yeah, LoFi/lofi is the reluctant but useful umbrella term.

Yeah, outsider house is normally the name I see given to this stuff, although it's generally been used a bit less in the last year or so. Opal Tapes and LIES are putting out some of the best dance music around at the minute. Also totally behind this tape on Tekres.

aight watmm delivered... knew there would be a term for this. outsider house tho? i guess that i shouldnt be too surprised that music journalism would appropriate a term that nobody the art world can use with a straight face because of its connection to colonialism and its fixation with mental illness. funny that huerco s is seen as the originat

This thread makes apparent just how much genres are quite time-specific...  (duh)  Interesting.

Cuz first off-- the OP tracks are pretty good (!), but they're just "(old school) house", Detroit influence yadda yadda, style circa 1991~1994 or something like that (the pump shuffle house style was pretty huge when in the pop music scene, new jack swing was in vogue).  Because if you have any old school house cassette tapes from that era- produced with relatively high-end equipment of the time- it'll sound sorta like OP tracks.  But since we're in the future, all of a sudden if that cassette sound is used, it's "lo-fi". 

No wonder why elementary school kids don't know good drum n bass...  

You have to call it "lo-fi old-school vinyl-samplist bro-core 9000", and then they're like, "Oooooh, yah- I know Photek."

well yes, duh. context is a big part of it and i guess i'm glad that "it's all about the music" attitude is finally fading away. to give a more extreme (in terms of time) example, consider parade, an opera by satie from 1917. if you were to make something similar (cubist costumes and everything) in 2017 most people in the opera scene would simply say it's a bit shit, something people from the local hobby theatre would make if they smoke too much weed. 1917 it was revolutionary

thanks for the vids & links everyone

edit/ mgf, that sounds amazing. just visited your sc to follow you & noticed i already do. been listening to that gravity came from the roof... ep for 1 year now. awesome stuff.

you can basically learn everything you need to know about lofi by going to my soundcloud and clicking through my followers/following. i started trying to make it in Q3 2014.

ok so why dont you, like, link it 

people are posting several of my lofi friends in here so surely it's only a matter of time until I pop up, right??

i already linked it anyway

people are posting several of my lofi friends in here so surely it's only a matter of time until I pop up, right??

i already linked it anyway

ok sorry i'm late and ignorant to the funky microgenre party. no dis intended

i'm jus chillin here enjoying my brofi

is there a name for house?

Fuck, I had to return to this thread to download this track.  I would gently kill the dancefloor dancing to this track.

Also, I actually just now tried mastering this track to see waddup, and one thing that was apparent is that "modern production" makes the track sound like shit.  So then I check out the waveform, and the track's got more headroom than my Tokyo apartment.  No wonder it sounds so authentic.

Perfect, as is.

Yeah that DJ Boring track is excellent, came across it a while ago and was amazed to see it posted in the dismissive opening post.

ok, seems like my written english is near incomprehensible, sorry, to clear things up, completely non-ironically:

i love that track

i've been listening to it pretty much for the past few weeks straight

ty

Archived