IGNORED

that one hipster house genre

marian

• Replies 441
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

Nobody posted the new Ross From Friends yet?

Love this track

Not just the track though, this is a golden piece of cinema. It's like every bad project from high school tv production but left in the car to melt together

On a related note, i've been wanting to buy a hefty cart from Lobster Theramin lately..

Picked up a handful of Lobster Theremin / Mörk releases on bandcamp yesterday... had to stop myself from buying more. They're killing it this year, so much good material

Grant - Cranks

Ozel AB ... bought the Valis and Crime EP's...

TRP - The Future EP

D.Dan - Danger Zone EP

S Olbricht - Purpleblue
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ai6GHkFb0wg

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

is Hipster House en-framed by categorization, production style, producer or some other arbitrary conceit of McDonalds-esque coolness?

if someone like Paul Van Dyk, Tiestno or Pete Tong starts playing it, does it then become invalidated?

can you double-down onto HipsterHipster House, where the format then becomes void & then its onto Hipster Electronica or summat else?

what about good ol' fashioned House?

not to piss on yer parade, but there are a myriad of producers who've been making this music, in what must be some alternative parallel universe as far as this thread's genre traits are concerned, for decades, where producers are still making timeless grooves, the list is metaphorically endless

labels like Dance Mania, Relief & early releases on Force Inc have a roughness and groove aesthetic that seems to be entirely missing here, cities like Chicago & Detroit with catalogs by dons like Ron Trent, Moodymann (KDJ), Theo Parrish, Glenn Underground, Boo Williams, all the New York & New Jersey producers, all the good music that came out of Nottingham via DiY Sound System......does anyone bother to delve into this genre's delicious back-catalogs?

its like trying to reinvent the wheel, but the core is missing

you'll soon get bored of it all....then onto the next bandwagon cos the shelf-life went "naaaaah"

its ok, its nearly the weekend, but try expanding yer horizons with House music's contribution to shaking that ass & trancing yer mind instead of this wince-worthy mincing

or as Mr Kerri Chaos/6:23 Chandler so succinctly expressed it, "you can't lie to House music":

is Hipster House en-framed by categorization, production style, producer or some other arbitrary conceit of McDonalds-esque coolness?

if someone like Paul Van Dyk, Tiestno or Pete Tong starts playing it, does it then become invalidated?

can you double-down onto HipsterHipster House, where the format then becomes void & then its onto Hipster Electronica or summat else?

what about good ol' fashioned House?

not to piss on yer parade, but there are a myriad of producers who've been making this music, in what must be some alternative parallel universe as far as this thread's genre traits are concerned, for decades, where producers are still making timeless grooves, the list is metaphorically endless

labels like Dance Mania, Relief & early releases on Force Inc have a roughness and groove aesthetic that seems to be entirely missing here, cities like Chicago & Detroit with catalogs by dons like Ron Trent, Moodymann (KDJ), Theo Parrish, Glenn Underground, Boo Williams, all the New York & New Jersey producers, all the good music that came out of Nottingham via DiY Sound System......does anyone bother to delve into this genre's delicious back-catalogs?

its like trying to reinvent the wheel, but the core is missing

you'll soon get bored of it all....then onto the next bandwagon cos the shelf-life went "naaaaah"

its ok, its nearly the weekend, but try expanding yer horizons with House music's contribution to shaking that ass & trancing yer mind instead of this wince-worthy mincing

or as Mr Kerri Chaos/6:23 Chandler so succinctly expressed it, "you can't lie to House music":

For the record I really enjoy your posts, really thought-provoking.

I often have similar thoughts about other "trendy" and niche genres lately that are heavily, heavily retro-oriented (or at least work within defined and established styles) and then lauded and perpetuated in these bubbles of fandom and producer communities. Bandcamp Daily features a lot of these quite often including non-electronic genres: pysch rock and shoegaze, surf rock, etc. These are genres that have been re-hashed for decades. A lot of it has this problem of being perfectly ok but new only in literal sense - not artistically new at all - the gut reaction is to be upset that people are completely ignoring already existing music of the past, much of which doesn't have the advantage of things like Spotify or last.fm scrobbles to bring in new listeners, that is just as good and valid, if not more so.

I've become less inclined to post cynical rants or spend time criticizing stuff, but at the same time I ignore or skip so much "new" music now as well because it's so contrived: you can literally pick a genre, style, movement, aesthetic, etc. and find a plethora of resources that will tell you how to make it musically, how to pair it with song titles, themes, art, and the whole 9 yards. It's contrived not a marketing or sell out sense, or riding a bandwagon even, but just ease for anyone to find something they like and completely embrace it without injecting novel ideas or uniqueness. And it's not really artistically bad or vapid in many cases. Hell there's specific genres / scenes I love that have this aspect to them, including many producers and labels mentioned in this thread. But it is a phenomenon that I think few want to discuss as music critics or fans. It's tricky to talk about which is why forums and threads like this are nice.

you should be a diplomat Joshua ;)

saying "you shouldnt listen to this" would be a gimpdom of the highest order Manmower, so its not fallacious or facetious ranting as dismissing the questions is defaulting to mindlessness, i'm just a bit surprised more than anything that this thing created any momentum beyond a burst of initial releases, hence the inquiry & questions

discuss releases any which way you want, i'd never say "THOU SHALT NOT", but there's a genre here that seems to be lost in its own moment, as House music itself (when its done effectively) is usually aiming for something less disposable & its catalogs speak for themselves. I dont see or hear that with the majority of the tracks included, with 1 or 2 exceptions that seem to prove the remit.

personally, House has such a range of styles, eg: you could look at whats come out of a gaff like Paris since the mid-90's as one specific example, where you've had DJ Gregory, Basic Recordings, Julian Jabre, Brawther, My Love Is Underground, Point G & Silver Network/Jeff K....some seriously tasty treats

https://www.discogs.com/artist/6365-DJ-Gregory

https://www.discogs.com/label/1790-Basic-Recordings

https://www.discogs.com/artist/1455442-Brawther

https://www.discogs.com/label/189718-My-Love-Is-Underground

https://www.discogs.com/label/536082-Point-G

if its not meant to be thought provoking as a discussion, then its veering towards something that doesnt question the authenticity of whats being promoted in this thread, this "sub-genre" for lack of a better description & where it might be heading when the wheels come off

if thats not yer cup of tea Manmower, you cant be arsed to reply beyond "not enjoyable or thought-provoking" & you want to dismiss debate, then just add me to your ignore list, but b4 you do, check this chuggathon out, nearly 20 years old (middle aged for House) & still struts like a well cut suit you can still wear without it seeming dated:

*edit - if you have the opportunity to give it a bit of volume and bottom end so much the better

Fallacious ranting is neither enjoyable nor thought-provoking.

sure, but what if i recorded spoken word of it and placed it under a nice gritty 4/4 beat, synth pad, and arpeggio bassline?

:cisfor:

Cwmbran, the thing is you seem to be arguing against some hypothetical listener who buys into this wholesale and hasn't heard any other house music in their life, but no-one here seems to be placing more importance on this stuff than you are.

I think 95% of the music posted in this thread is forgettable dance floor fodder regardless of who made it when and who's the one posting it, but that's only my opinion. Your Point G track sounds like I'm clothes shopping in the 1990s.

Fallacious ranting is neither enjoyable nor thought-provoking.

sure, but what if i recorded spoken word of it and placed it under a nice gritty 4/4 beat, synth pad, and arpeggio bassline?

:cisfor:

I say let's hear you try!

its not importance, its the plasticity of it, the shallowness of the production ideas & the hype its generated, and yeah music can be that & still work fine, strokes & folks what what

true, a lot of House has been appropriated commercially, the transition started almost as soon as it was invented, but there's a creative, spirited dimension to authentic House when its done right & i dont hear that here....its not rocket science but it is a travesty when theres so much good music that isnt referenced or absorbed

you might be a grizzled veteran on that front, cool n the gang, however dissing that Point G tune means that we can never be friends, gutted, oh well, goodbye cruel world

also sound stream, though now we're getting into french house / discohouse territory but who cares :)

ps ^ for these 2 tracks, you NEED to listen all the way through to really feel the hypnotic vibes. so happy i discovered them... its like if thomas bangalter started an obscure funky house side project in the 90s this would be it. 

Archived