IGNORED

that one hipster house genre

marian

• Replies 441
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yeah i dont blast people who make dance music with passion, with whatever tools they wanna use, in whatever style they want. i personally just feel like most of this underground "house" stuff in the thread is more lo fi techno and experimental rather than house... though some of what ive heard sounds housey. but its all good, i love it all.. essentially my post is a first world problem post lol

basic channel should be shot for appropriating jamaican culture amirite

your skin colour should dictate the music you can and cannot make. it's called being progressive. 

daft punk get a free pass cus of the helmets u can't be racist if you're a robot haha

ugh what horrible things to say - sound like a trump supporter. that classic (completely pathetic) IF SOMEONE ELSE DID SOMETHING SIMILAR THEN THIS ONE IS OK line. not really because the nuances of the situations are completely different.

so:

mark and moritz hung out and studied with dub producers in the south bronx in the early 80s when very few people actually cared about any of this. PLUS they have never made any secret about attributing everything to those musicians and artists. then they released tracks made by those artists on their own record label, and then made endless collaborations with said artists. An incredibly clear, obvious attempt to collaborate, honor and respect artists who they were influenced by. I haven't seen a single DJ seinfeld / Larry Heard collab lol  Plus, from a musicology perspective mark and moritz weren't just rehashing the same tropes and elements of the genre but 20 years later - they were creating something completely new and novel.

I would be honestly fucking AMAZED if someone from "the lo-fi house" genre could put together something as eloquent, educated, and thoughtful as moritz was being here: https://vimeo.com/30856513

then there was this: https://daily.bandcamp.com/2017/01/09/lo-fi-house-dance-music-guide/

pathetic. 

Lo-fi house is controversial, not least because its figureheads tend to take their names from sitcoms: Ross From Friends, DJ Seinfeld. (We can no doubt look forward to the likes of Willing Race, Mad Bout U, and Must Sea TV.)

what is going on here is the white hipster disaster movement taking its next victim. Which is w/e because that's how history works - what is upsetting to me is that this bullshit is anti-affirmative action and I hate it. And if you don't live in america you don't simply understand and how this works and why it is important. Black people in the USA (and UK) have been making incredible house music tracks (with just the same "warm sound" or whatever the fuck people are attempting to say to differentiate this stuff from "original" house music) for about 30 years with very little fanfare and critical recognition beyond music nerds. OK, fine. It's an "underground" electronic music genre. Who cares! Except that now... the very people who *are* actually interested in electronic music, the people who might be interested in championing house music, are falling for the same old shit that elvis fans fell for in the 50s. "Wow! Cool!! Oh uhhh I... love old school house!! But this new shit is great too! It has a cool vibe made with analog synths" barf. no ability to understand *why* house music is interesting, or *how* it works... just trotting out the same old chestnut of "going back to basics with analog synths" what garbage. And of course the music is fine. It's not "bad" it's just completely bereft of any magical je ne sais quois of classic chicago house. Which of course makes sense because new york and swedish white hipsters from 2017 have no idea what it was actually like. nor should they. This is not to say that no one should make any more house music because the chicago house moment has passed. Not at all - this rant is to say "why the fuck are you nerds, people who i know like electronic music, going on and on about this p boring style of current hipster proxy-ism, when there are 30 years of amazing and moving house music waiting to be celebrated"

because one is historically interesting and more innovative and interesting musically and the other is people who look like this (ross from friends below) making average 4 on the floor dance music. like why even pick the latter?? It doesn't make sense other than "this is what's cool now and being put in front of me" I mean I actually don't understand this thread. u guys go on and on about hipster hate in the other threads and yet are seemingly completely blind to this shit. so weird.

lofi-house-3-600.jpg

i can't deal with this shit. it is so lame. please please please listen to any ron trent, fred p, chez damier, mike huckaby (and many many more) mix in the last..... 20 years (!) and you will find more powerful, expressive, beautifully produced house music that is of course mixed flawlessly. white IDM people are only interested in "tracks" and albums and not the *actual* skill of house music which is mixing. house is a feeling, it's not white people using "old school analog synths" to bang out tracks. that bandcamp feature blog post on this garbage was embarrassing lol

any other recs besides the aforementioned?

what if i told you we all laugh about how white people steal shit from black people and make it worse 100% of the time

Its really not a race thing, but your idea that 'black people invented house music' is highly revisionist and US-centric.

i can't deal with this shit. it is so lame. please please please listen to any ron trent, fred p, chez damier, mike huckaby (and many many more) mix in the last..... 20 years (!) and you will find more powerful, expressive, beautifully produced house music that is of course mixed flawlessly. white IDM people are only interested in "tracks" and albums and not the *actual* skill of house music which is mixing. house is a feeling, it's not white people using "old school analog synths" to bang out tracks. that bandcamp feature blog post on this garbage was embarrassing lol

I love Chez n' Trent, Kerri and the others you namedropped here, and I'm perfectly aware of the background of this scene and what you and cwmbran are preaching, but that doesn't change the fact that some of these tracks in this thread are just really good. At least there's renewed interest in the genre, new ideas, some you like, some you might not like. 

Also, I HIGHLY recommend this:

https://www.discogs.com/Nicholas-14-ft-Nikki-O-You-Cant-Hide-Black-Sugar/release/9256121

https://www.discogs.com/Nicholas-14-Ft-Nikki-O-Ghetto-Opera/release/7569460

because one is historically interesting and more innovative and interesting musically and the other is people who look like this (ross from friends below) making average 4 on the floor dance music. like why even pick the latter?? It doesn't make sense other than "this is what's cool now and being put in front of me" I mean I actually don't understand this thread. u guys go on and on about hipster hate in the other threads and yet are seemingly completely blind to this shit. so weird.

So what you're saying is.......you were into this stuff before it was cool?

:dadjoke:

what if i told you we all laugh about how white people steal shit from black people and make it worse 100% of the time

Its really not a race thing, but your idea that 'black people invented house music' is highly revisionist and US-centric.

Michael-What-the-office-10400786-400-226

I think what a lot of this comes down to is that house music is just so vast... there are so many different sub-genres, strains, eras, movements, feelings, etc. The fact that it's such a global movement, it's the pulse of life--everyone appreciates different flavors and varieties more than others i guess. It's about what sounds touch us more for whatever reason.  And it effects everyone differently--for some its spiritual and like a religion and it can entrance them, while for others, it's a bit more surface or more about the attitude or atmosphere or whatever. 

I might be the rare one one in that my favorite strains of house aren't the very beginning (late 80s/early 90s), nor is it a lot of the current EDM strain (though I appreciate and truly love a lot of new stuff), but rather everything in between. I love the mid and late 90s stuff, all the way up to current day, but around 2010 is where I think things started to be a little too formulaic for me... kinda the time when electro-house torch was passed from ppl like Hoxton Whores / Joachim Garraud to more flavor-of-the-moment artists, and "progressive house" starting meaning big room-hard house-dirty dutch fusion, starting meaning who can use the hardest sounding kick drums without it turning into gabber, and then of course it just got more and more artificial from there. Don't get me wrong, I love me commercial dance---probably more so than anyone on this forum, and shamelessly. I was raging with my bros at the David Guetta and Avicii tents at Coachella 2012 and it was one of the greatest moments of life, in all it's EDM-peak glory. Heard Swedish House Mafia play their first mainstream single to a massive crowd while I was leaving the festival early. I kinda look back on that moment as the defining moment that I could recognize dance music never being the same again. We had become the new Germany / London. Dance was officially mainstream.... just as exciting as it was baffling as it was devastating--kind of a fusion of emotions for real dance music fans everywhere. 

The bubble had burst I think around 2015 when the super-sub-genre of mainstream "EDM" kinda splintered into these various sounds, which although not necessarily original or unique (more of a re-interpretation of previous styles), still sounded more fresh and new to the younger generations... meaning the garage house/2-step, deep house, chillstep, topical, etc etc, and now we have future house (which seems to be a kind of mix of those styles). And the underground has been co-opting these flavors as well as oldschool analog house, detroit techno, ambient bedroom house, etc etc --what I kind of think of as an atmospheric approach. But it's the perfect opposite to that EDM craze that came before it, right?  Small, lo-fi, bedroom produced, solitary and introspective, rather than big festival-inspired, commercial, and over-produced. Like any music, some of it is brilliant, while some of it is circle-jerky, uninspired non-sense. Just like IDM, just like vaporwave, just like punk, just like everything. That goes without saying, right? What interests me more is the history, the culture, the timeline, the splintering of sounds, the way the tables turn rather than what demographics listen to what or whose jumping on what bandwagon. 

To me, the mid-late 90s to mid 2000's funky and soulful, as well as deep and progressive house sounds are where it's at, whether underground/obscure or not!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEinTb3jMDE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Q9CVlUCgb8

Also, since everyone's posting the lo fi hipster house, let's rock with a little Mister G:

Also, has anyone heard this absolutely genius new banger from Green Velvet / Prok|Fitch? Dystopian vibes everywhere, and totally relevant:

Exciting me as well cuz its giving me electroclash / Felix Da Housecat type vibes (praying for 3rd wave btw)

i dont think anyone's saying House is defunct with regards to present output, its more this cluster of fuckery squishing my tolerance for wank

Kai Alce from Atlanta has really kicked on from the millennium onward production-wise

https://www.discogs.com/artist/26669-Kai-Alc%C3%A9

Vakula from the Ukraine has released incredible music over the last 15 years, recent in House terms. Quality control is outstanding and has a broad style, but inspiringly distinctive too:

https://www.discogs.com/artist/1157826-Vakula

Everyone on here know Massive Attack, Tricky & everything Bristol/triphop et al, but in their previous Wild Bunch soul weekender guise one of the main jocks Milo Johnson took another path into genius as DJ Nature/Nature-Boy:

https://www.discogs.com/artist/1098715-DJ-Nature

his vinyl only mixes are works of beauty and not because they're vinyl but because of the spectrum of decades represented across the board. Train-spotting these mixes will give a fountain of glories & his background story is quite a journey in perseverance & creativity

NYAK has some wheelchair rodeo rockin chuggers and has produced epic gems:

https://www.discogs.com/artist/2015710-NYAK

not out to shit on your thread so much as discuss and compare whats out there, past & present even if it might read as vitriolic, as the mystery is a true one

edit 4 div

What interests me more is the history, the culture, the timeline, the splintering of sounds, the way the tables turn rather than what demographics listen to what or whose jumping on what bandwagon. 

Here here

I like this music honestly, it's both cold and warm, like having one foot out from under the blanket, and also usually danceable without much potentially-off-putting dancefloor schtick

Avid user of spotify here and they have this playlist called Hazy Vibes and i've found myself playing these 40+ tracks more often than anything else (Mall Grab, Auscultation, SFV Acid, Moodcut, they added an Actress track which was a serendipitous moment for me). The more i listen to it, the more i realize that these sounds are what i have indeed been into as of lately. They just always seem to fit: at night, in the morning, in the rain, the sun, sober, not, pensive, somber, energetic

Archived