Join WATMM Now!

Register and Subscribe now for as little 3.00 USD for one year to gain Supporting Member access. We also have other subscription packages to choose from that grant you extra abilities and features.

By joining and subscribing, you are helping support the forums, as well enable us to add new features and enhancements (and maintain them).

Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

- - - - -

Com Truise - Iteration (June 16th 2017)

comtruise synthwave

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 silentvision

silentvision

Recently Joined

• Members Plus
  • PipPip
  • 121 posts
  • 14 topics
  • Joined 16-June 14

Posted 05 April 2017 - 08:48 AM

GI-296_3000x300_540_540.jpg

01   ...Of Your Fake Dimension           

02  Ephemeron       

03  Dryswch              

04  Isostasy

05  Memory             

06  Propagation      

07  Vacuume            

08  Ternary

09  Usurper              

10  Syrthio 

11   When Will You Find the Limit... 

12  Iteration

Pre-orders live on ghostly

#2 BoomTssPhace

BoomTssPhace

actual demon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 804 posts
  • 55 topics
  • Joined 03-March 07
  • Interests:dissociating

Posted 05 April 2017 - 08:52 AM

YES please

Even if it does sound like 90% of other Com Truise stuff

#3 dr lopez

dr lopez

i did it for the general banterness of the act

• Knob Twiddlers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,956 posts
  • 114 topics
  • Joined 06-April 08
  • Interests:Riven
  • PSN:conlon_nancarrow

Posted 05 April 2017 - 09:25 AM

guy does "it" well even if the whole thing is superficial

music equivalent of a milkshake

#4 Bulk VanderHooj

Bulk VanderHooj

Hugh-Mungus

• EKT Plus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,713 posts
  • 45 topics
  • Joined 28-January 12
  • Interests:Bulking
    Huge-ifying

Posted 05 April 2017 - 10:12 AM

sweet, preordered

#5 dumplings

dumplings

乇乂ㄒ尺卂 ㄒ卄丨匚匚

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 514 posts
  • 4 topics
  • Joined 20-March 12
  • Interests:mind altering demented lessons in beats

Posted 06 April 2017 - 02:22 PM

One of those artists that doesn't have to progress year-on-year or so to show me how well they are developing. I'm perfectly happy for more of the same tbhqf.

Cyanide Sisters is still dope.

#6 joshuatx

joshuatx

syrote

• Knob Twiddlers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,460 posts
  • 95 topics
  • Joined 22-April 08

Posted 07 April 2017 - 07:46 AM

guy does "it" well even if the whole thing is superficial

music equivalent of a milkshake

does everything analog IIRC and also he's one of those producers who has been at it long enough that he fell into a popular trend (outrun, synthwave, retromasturbation, etc.) instead of jumping into a bandwagon

#7 westhead

westhead

1000 Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,706 posts
  • 117 topics
  • Joined 13-March 06

Posted 07 April 2017 - 08:02 AM

Yeah he's still the best at this I reckon - it's not just the quality of production/sounds, it's the arrangements.

#8 oscillik

oscillik

beyond the black rainbow

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,635 posts
  • 112 topics
  • Joined 19-October 06

Posted 07 April 2017 - 10:10 AM

I hope he goes back to a slightly darker sound. Not that his sound was particularly dark in the first place, but I feel that Wave 1 sounded a lot more jaunty and happy than Galactic Melt.

#9 Bulk VanderHooj

Bulk VanderHooj

Hugh-Mungus

• EKT Plus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,713 posts
  • 45 topics
  • Joined 28-January 12
  • Interests:Bulking
    Huge-ifying

Posted 07 April 2017 - 10:13 AM

I hope he goes back to a slightly darker sound. Not that his sound was particularly dark in the first place, but I feel that Wave 1 sounded a lot more jaunty and happy than Galactic Melt.

Agreed on all accounts. 

Galactic Melt is my favorite release of his, VHS Sex in particular lol. Found Wave 1 a bit poppy and happy comparatively. 

Some artists I expect to tread new ground etc, but I really have no problem with artists like Com Truise (Ceephax too) maintaining their status quo, keep making songs in a similar vein.

#10 silentvision

silentvision

Recently Joined

• Members Plus
  • PipPip
  • 121 posts
  • 14 topics
  • Joined 16-June 14

Posted 09 May 2017 - 09:42 AM

#11 dumplings

dumplings

乇乂ㄒ尺卂 ㄒ卄丨匚匚

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 514 posts
  • 4 topics
  • Joined 20-March 12
  • Interests:mind altering demented lessons in beats

Posted 13 June 2017 - 01:55 PM

Ternary motherfuckers.

#12 Joyrex

Joyrex

OMAE WA MOU SHINDEIRU

• Site Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,497 posts
  • 1,722 topics
  • Joined 03-June 99
  • SoundCloud URL:https://soundcloud.com/watmmofficial
  • Interests:annual percentage rate
  • PSN:Joyrex
  • Nintendo ID:Joyrex

Posted 13 June 2017 - 02:50 PM

My current fave on the album is Propagation:

He put on a great show here in Houston with Clark last week - seems all the track titles on Iteration have to do with genetics...

#13 Hijexx

Hijexx

Recently Joined

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 327 posts
  • 10 topics
  • Joined 18-November 05

Posted 13 June 2017 - 03:21 PM

Did you pick up the tour split 12"? Couple of good tracks on there.

#14 dr lopez

dr lopez

i did it for the general banterness of the act

• Knob Twiddlers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,956 posts
  • 114 topics
  • Joined 06-April 08
  • Interests:Riven
  • PSN:conlon_nancarrow

Posted 13 June 2017 - 03:24 PM

My current fave on the album is Propagation:

He put on a great show here in Houston with Clark last week - seems all the track titles on Iteration have to do with genetics...

mitch murder is better in every way its hilarious 

#15 zero

zero

Recently Joined

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 243 posts
  • 3 topics
  • Joined 16-October 06

Posted 13 June 2017 - 08:48 PM

Seems he dialed the darker tones and BPM's down on this one...On first listen I like it and it's nice and chill, but can't help thinking, can't he try experimenting with a new drum machine sound at some point?

#16 ignatius

ignatius

2K, On My Way

• Members Plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,050 posts
  • 10 topics
  • Joined 11-October 15

Posted 13 June 2017 - 10:01 PM

sounds like he's moving away from Miami Vice and closer to Pretty In Pink/Sixteen Candles/Hiding Out. 

it's punchy. catchy. fun. 

#17 xxx

xxx

huehuehuehuehuehuehue

• EKT Plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,832 posts
  • 437 topics
  • Joined 12-July 07

Posted 13 June 2017 - 10:24 PM

Ol' Commie really challenged me at his show recently because the chief complaint lodged against me from normies was always that "all your techno sounds the same!" I found that ludicrous but I'll be damned if I couldn't tell one bit from the next as he progressed. I know live shows are about setting a mood and being danceable. It was even a good groove and "likeable" but I was so fucking relieved to get brain tickles from Clark. Fuck that guy kills it live but that's a different thrad. 

#18 Joyrex

Joyrex

OMAE WA MOU SHINDEIRU

• Site Administrator
  • 20,497 posts
  • 1,722 topics
  • Joined 03-June 99

Posted 14 June 2017 - 08:49 AM

Did you pick up the tour split 12"? Couple of good tracks on there.

Not one iota of fucking merch was at the show... I talked to one of the floor guys and he said they hadn't had merch for the past two shows. I really wanted to get a Com Truise tee shirt, and perhaps a Hoova-branded article as well.

#19 six

six

Down in the park with a friend called five

• Knob Twiddlers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,802 posts
  • 106 topics
  • Joined 16-November 05

Posted 14 June 2017 - 02:55 PM

Ol' Commie really challenged me at his show recently because the chief complaint lodged against me from normies was always that "all your techno sounds the same!" I found that ludicrous but I'll be damned if I couldn't tell one bit from the next as he progressed. I know live shows are about setting a mood and being danceable. It was even a good groove and "likeable" but I was so fucking relieved to get brain tickles from Clark. Fuck that guy kills it live but that's a different thrad. 

This. Really loved his early stuff and the new stuff isn't bad at all. But I could put on pretty much any one of his tracks barring a few special ones and not be able to tell what album it's off or even really most tracks apart from each other. Having a signature sound is awesome but when the sound palette is so similar, some guys like him and Lone suffer from sounding the same from album to album.

#20 Joyrex

Joyrex

OMAE WA MOU SHINDEIRU

• Site Administrator
  • 20,497 posts
  • 1,722 topics
  • Joined 03-June 99

Posted 14 June 2017 - 03:48 PM

This. Really loved his early stuff and the new stuff isn't bad at all. But I could put on pretty much any one of his tracks barring a few special ones and not be able to tell what album it's off or even really most tracks apart from each other. Having a signature sound is awesome but when the sound palette is so similar, some guys like him and Lone suffer from sounding the same from album to album.

Have to agree here - Com does his sound really well, but after awhile, it all sounds the same. I thought he was going in a new direction for this album, and the last EP was the end "of a trilogy" or something like that?

#21 vasio

vasio

Member Title

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,198 posts
  • 1 topics
  • Joined 18-June 06

Posted 14 June 2017 - 04:19 PM

It's too samey, all the tracks been sounding exactly the same, would it hurt to program a new synth patch? Geez louise, I don't even. 

#22 Nehushtan

Nehushtan

• Members Plus
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  • 0 topics
  • Joined 28-March 17

Posted 14 June 2017 - 08:10 PM

I wish that I could find some magic in this guys releases, but it all just blends together to me. I saw him live in Austin and his whole show feels like a blur compared to the show Clark put on. I'd love to be able to speak on the live show exclusive 12" but they weren't selling it at all at the show I went to.

I feel like he could do so much more if he just explored new territory in his sound, essentially.

#23 fumi

fumi

Personal Deliveries To Your Door

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts
  • 240 topics
  • Joined 18-November 05

Posted 15 June 2017 - 01:19 PM

I listened to this three or four times today. It's Tycho all over again (on Ghostly too).

After the second or third track, I struggle to tell one piece from the next. Very disappointing album.

#24 oscillik

oscillik

beyond the black rainbow

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,635 posts
  • 112 topics
  • Joined 19-October 06

Posted 15 June 2017 - 01:52 PM

Oh dear. I wonder if he'll sign up again to smack back?

#25 joshuatx

joshuatx

syrote

• Knob Twiddlers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,460 posts
  • 95 topics
  • Joined 22-April 08

Posted 16 June 2017 - 09:00 AM

I listened to this three or four times today. It's Tycho all over again (on Ghostly too).

After the second or third track, I struggle to tell one piece from the next. Very disappointing album.

"Usurper" is the standout track off this album for me but it's track 9.

The thing about Com Truise and similarly distinct artists sound wise (Tycho, Lone, <insert artist you feel is overrated here> ) is that there is always at least one or two songs on each of their releases is objectively good and/or catchy AND largely owes that appeal to their timbre of sounds. For example I never gave Com Truise a chance for the longest time until I heard "Brokendate" on a college station and was absolutely obsessed with it. It's just a damn good song, and one where his choice of instrumentation really shines.

Likewise there are artists I really love that I must admit have a pretty locked down production method. Like classic 70s and 80s era dub music, I could listen to that shit all day forever and never get sick of it but it is extremely formulaic. Plenty of sample-based music (vaporwave is a good example or artists like VHS Head or 1991) or genre-defined music (black metal) falls in this camp too, even the best artists are actually quite creative and adventurous in their scope of work. To an outsider it all sounds the same.

The tricky thing, and what makes artists like Com Truise endless fodder for discussion, is that he's a talented producer who undeniably sticks with a comfort zone in terms of a genre and in this case probably even certain presets on specific instruments. The inverse of this is artists, especially pop and rock artists, who use all sorts of instruments or genres as a palette, but stick with the same formula composition wise: same keys, same song structures, etc. This goes for critically acclaimed folks too: you can tell a David Byrne, Bjork, or Tom Yorke song pretty easily.

The other end of the spectrum is too much variation: some artists never really break into bigger audiences or appreciation because their music is so diverse. It's also why so many decide to spawn multiple monikers or projects. Think of all the aliases of Luke Vibert and Mark Pritchard. The balance seems to be to hone into a style that is unique but not limiting: a lot of the artists we all love - Aphex Twin, Autechre, Squarepusher, and even BoC: they've all progressed and expanded their musical visions while still being very distinct and recognizable. It's a hard thing to do, sometimes even a matter of chance.

I saw a comment here once, I think john e. (awepittance, flourescent grey, etc) that was pretty insightful - he called musicians like Tycho "artisan" in scope - they master a method, sound, aesthetic, excel at it, but don't break any new ground nor really progress. A counterpoint would be the bedroom producers who stumble into new territory (Burial for example, DJ Screw) by completely throwing out any sense of restraint or interest in 'proper' production. I often shy away from criticizing music I don't like and/or find questionable in terms of artistic merit because well, I'm not musically apt at all. I usually only get fired up not if something mediocre is liked by many, but if it's critically acclaimed with little merit (and that's not really the artists fault most of the time). This album seems to fall right into that category. Fans will love it, skeptics will dismiss it, a lot like myself we'll think something like "it's 'aight / not bad at all"

Edited by joshuatx, 16 June 2017 - 09:18 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: comtruise, synthwave