06  Propagation      

07  Vacuume            

08  Ternary

09  Usurper              

10  Syrthio 

11   When Will You Find the Limit... 

12  Iteration

Pre-orders live on ghostly

One of those artists that doesn't have to progress year-on-year or so to show me how well they are developing. I'm perfectly happy for more of the same tbhqf.

Cyanide Sisters is still dope.

guy does "it" well even if the whole thing is superficial

music equivalent of a milkshake

does everything analog IIRC and also he's one of those producers who has been at it long enough that he fell into a popular trend (outrun, synthwave, retromasturbation, etc.) instead of jumping into a bandwagon

I hope he goes back to a slightly darker sound. Not that his sound was particularly dark in the first place, but I feel that Wave 1 sounded a lot more jaunty and happy than Galactic Melt.

I hope he goes back to a slightly darker sound. Not that his sound was particularly dark in the first place, but I feel that Wave 1 sounded a lot more jaunty and happy than Galactic Melt.

Agreed on all accounts. 

Galactic Melt is my favorite release of his, VHS Sex in particular lol. Found Wave 1 a bit poppy and happy comparatively. 

Some artists I expect to tread new ground etc, but I really have no problem with artists like Com Truise (Ceephax too) maintaining their status quo, keep making songs in a similar vein.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

My current fave on the album is Propagation:

He put on a great show here in Houston with Clark last week - seems all the track titles on Iteration have to do with genetics...

My current fave on the album is Propagation:

He put on a great show here in Houston with Clark last week - seems all the track titles on Iteration have to do with genetics...

mitch murder is better in every way its hilarious 

Seems he dialed the darker tones and BPM's down on this one...On first listen I like it and it's nice and chill, but can't help thinking, can't he try experimenting with a new drum machine sound at some point?

sounds like he's moving away from Miami Vice and closer to Pretty In Pink/Sixteen Candles/Hiding Out. 

it's punchy. catchy. fun. 

Did you pick up the tour split 12"? Couple of good tracks on there.

Not one iota of fucking merch was at the show... I talked to one of the floor guys and he said they hadn't had merch for the past two shows. I really wanted to get a Com Truise tee shirt, and perhaps a Hoova-branded article as well.

Ol' Commie really challenged me at his show recently because the chief complaint lodged against me from normies was always that "all your techno sounds the same!" I found that ludicrous but I'll be damned if I couldn't tell one bit from the next as he progressed. I know live shows are about setting a mood and being danceable. It was even a good groove and "likeable" but I was so fucking relieved to get brain tickles from Clark. Fuck that guy kills it live but that's a different thrad. 

This. Really loved his early stuff and the new stuff isn't bad at all. But I could put on pretty much any one of his tracks barring a few special ones and not be able to tell what album it's off or even really most tracks apart from each other. Having a signature sound is awesome but when the sound palette is so similar, some guys like him and Lone suffer from sounding the same from album to album.

Ol' Commie really challenged me at his show recently because the chief complaint lodged against me from normies was always that "all your techno sounds the same!" I found that ludicrous but I'll be damned if I couldn't tell one bit from the next as he progressed. I know live shows are about setting a mood and being danceable. It was even a good groove and "likeable" but I was so fucking relieved to get brain tickles from Clark. Fuck that guy kills it live but that's a different thrad. 

This. Really loved his early stuff and the new stuff isn't bad at all. But I could put on pretty much any one of his tracks barring a few special ones and not be able to tell what album it's off or even really most tracks apart from each other. Having a signature sound is awesome but when the sound palette is so similar, some guys like him and Lone suffer from sounding the same from album to album.

Have to agree here - Com does his sound really well, but after awhile, it all sounds the same. I thought he was going in a new direction for this album, and the last EP was the end "of a trilogy" or something like that?

I wish that I could find some magic in this guys releases, but it all just blends together to me. I saw him live in Austin and his whole show feels like a blur compared to the show Clark put on. I'd love to be able to speak on the live show exclusive 12" but they weren't selling it at all at the show I went to.

I feel like he could do so much more if he just explored new territory in his sound, essentially.

I listened to this three or four times today. It's Tycho all over again (on Ghostly too).

After the second or third track, I struggle to tell one piece from the next. Very disappointing album.

I listened to this three or four times today. It's Tycho all over again (on Ghostly too).

After the second or third track, I struggle to tell one piece from the next. Very disappointing album.

"Usurper" is the standout track off this album for me but it's track 9.

The thing about Com Truise and similarly distinct artists sound wise (Tycho, Lone, <insert artist you feel is overrated here> ) is that there is always at least one or two songs on each of their releases is objectively good and/or catchy AND largely owes that appeal to their timbre of sounds. For example I never gave Com Truise a chance for the longest time until I heard "Brokendate" on a college station and was absolutely obsessed with it. It's just a damn good song, and one where his choice of instrumentation really shines.

Likewise there are artists I really love that I must admit have a pretty locked down production method. Like classic 70s and 80s era dub music, I could listen to that shit all day forever and never get sick of it but it is extremely formulaic. Plenty of sample-based music (vaporwave is a good example or artists like VHS Head or 1991) or genre-defined music (black metal) falls in this camp too, even the best artists are actually quite creative and adventurous in their scope of work. To an outsider it all sounds the same.

The tricky thing, and what makes artists like Com Truise endless fodder for discussion, is that he's a talented producer who undeniably sticks with a comfort zone in terms of a genre and in this case probably even certain presets on specific instruments. The inverse of this is artists, especially pop and rock artists, who use all sorts of instruments or genres as a palette, but stick with the same formula composition wise: same keys, same song structures, etc. This goes for critically acclaimed folks too: you can tell a David Byrne, Bjork, or Tom Yorke song pretty easily.

The other end of the spectrum is too much variation: some artists never really break into bigger audiences or appreciation because their music is so diverse. It's also why so many decide to spawn multiple monikers or projects. Think of all the aliases of Luke Vibert and Mark Pritchard. The balance seems to be to hone into a style that is unique but not limiting: a lot of the artists we all love - Aphex Twin, Autechre, Squarepusher, and even BoC: they've all progressed and expanded their musical visions while still being very distinct and recognizable. It's a hard thing to do, sometimes even a matter of chance.

I saw a comment here once, I think john e. (awepittance, flourescent grey, etc) that was pretty insightful - he called musicians like Tycho "artisan" in scope - they master a method, sound, aesthetic, excel at it, but don't break any new ground nor really progress. A counterpoint would be the bedroom producers who stumble into new territory (Burial for example, DJ Screw) by completely throwing out any sense of restraint or interest in 'proper' production. I often shy away from criticizing music I don't like and/or find questionable in terms of artistic merit because well, I'm not musically apt at all. I usually only get fired up not if something mediocre is liked by many, but if it's critically acclaimed with little merit (and that's not really the artists fault most of the time). This album seems to fall right into that category. Fans will love it, skeptics will dismiss it, a lot like myself we'll think something like "it's 'aight / not bad at all"

"Usurper" is the standout track off this album for me but it's track 9.

The thing about Com Truise and similarly distinct artists sound wise (Tycho, Lone, <insert artist you feel is overrated here> ) is that there is always at least one or two songs on each of their releases is objectively good and/or catchy AND largely owes that appeal to their timbre of sounds. For example I never gave Com Truise a chance for the longest time until I heard "Brokendate" on a college station and was absolutely obsessed with it. It's just a damn good song, and one where his choice of instrumentation really shines.

Likewise there are artists I really love that I must admit have a pretty locked down production method. Like classic 70s and 80s era dub music, I could listen to that shit all day forever and never get sick of it but it is extremely formulaic. Plenty of sample-based music (vaporwave is a good example or artists like VHS Head or 1991) or genre-defined music (black metal) falls in this camp too, even the best artists are actually quite creative and adventurous in their scope of work. To an outsider it all sounds the same.

The tricky thing, and what makes artists like Com Truise endless fodder for discussion, is that he's a talented producer who undeniably sticks with a comfort zone in terms of a genre and in this case probably even certain presets on specific instruments. The inverse of this is artists, especially pop and rock artists, who use all sorts of instruments or genres as a palette, but stick with the same formula composition wise: same keys, same song structures, etc. This goes for critically acclaimed folks too: you can tell a David Byrne, Bjork, or Tom Yorke song pretty easily.

The other end of the spectrum is too much variation: some artists never really break into bigger audiences or appreciation because their music is so diverse. It's also why so many decide to spawn multiple monikers or projects. Think of all the aliases of Luke Vibert and Mark Pritchard. The balance seems to be to hone into a style that is unique but not limiting: a lot of the artists we all love - Aphex Twin, Autechre, Squarepusher, and even BoC: they've all progressed and expanded their musical visions while still being very distinct and recognizable. It's a hard thing to do, sometimes even a matter of chance.

I saw a comment here once, I think john e. (awepittance, flourescent grey, etc) that was pretty insightful - he called musicians like Tycho "artisan" in scope - they master a method, sound, aesthetic, excel at it, but don't break any new ground nor really progress. A counterpoint would be the bedroom producers who stumble into new territory (Burial for example, DJ Screw) by completely throwing out any sense of restraint or interest in 'proper' production. I often shy away from criticizing music I don't like and/or find questionable in terms of artistic merit because well, I'm not musically apt at all. I usually only get fired up not if something mediocre is liked by many, but if it's critically acclaimed with little merit (and that's not really the artists fault most of the time). This album seems to fall right into that category. Fans will love it, skeptics will dismiss it, a lot like myself we'll think something like "it's 'aight / not bad at all"

Some good points. As you say, 'Usurper' arrives eventually but by that point it's far too late. I dunno about artists like Tycho and Com Truise ( Lone, I find to be a bit more varied) - they just crank out the same thing from album to album.

Part of the problem, I believe, is that they spend so much in their individual creative worlds that when they finally emerge into the light with their new work, they've lost any objective view of it.

There's a reason that best-selling authors have editors. They look at it with a cool and critical eye and make cuts where necessary.

I'm sure Com Truise is a really talented individual but his stuff is totally devoid of variety because he is both artist and critic.

Archived