IGNORED

Skee Mask - ISS002

bronchuseven

Be sure to check out his other stuff  :ok:

I just like his uncomplicated but effective approach to his music, seems more about creating cool atmospheres and vibes than throwing in everything but the kitchen sink. Reminds me of earlyish Warp, but it's not derivative at all.

"2012" was kind of a letdown apart from Palo Alto, but with this one I'm right back to digging it hard.

Still think some of the stuff by his label mate Andrea is even better, now there's a guy who should release more not less.

Yes, Andrea and a lot of other artists from Ilian Tapes are so great and right at the edge of oldschool drumnbass / idm meets deranged club music of today. This is his cut from the compilation, which completely is absolute insane:

• 1 month later...

Damn this is good. Germany seems to have an edge on dnb right now. Any other from this Ilian Tapes label I should check out besides Andrea? 

This guy releases so much, hard to keep track. Sometimes I wish some artists would release less, does that make sense? But yeah excellent EP.

Yeah I know what you mean, lot of labels are like that right now for me. 

If it really is his only studio, I really appreciate the modesty of it. I've been watching these Telekom Slices features for a long time now and so often they'll feature people who have 75K or more in gear who still manage to churn out very boring stuff.

Noticed this with RA's Machine Love series too, as well as FACT and Xltronic studio features and the "against the clock" videos. M.E.S.H. for example has a laptop and MIDI setup. A bunch of producers doing some of the most expansive and spacey stuff often achieve it with really cheap or even lo-fi gear and reasonable setups. Andy Stott is a good example. It's also refreshing to see that a lot of the LA Beat Scene guys are still making stuff in their bedrooms, smoking a bowl and listening to records nearby between sessions.

The fact that guys like Deadmau5 has some insane modular synth or Daft Punk have access to the best studios and engineers yet crank out sterile, dull, polished mediocrity speaks volumes. As much as I like the Chemical Brothers it's ironic how their early stuff that still grips me was produced when they had shitty samplers and now they have this beautiful room full of equipment that, despite their sincere effort to use it all, doesn't produce anything nearly as engaging or raw. One reason I hold Aphex Twin and Squarepusher in such high regard is that they've become gear junkies in a way that went hand and hand with their progression as artists.

I'll have to check out this Telekom Slices series nonetheless.

Dig the whole focus of Skee Mask on utilizing both digital and analog elements / sources / equipment. People are still fetishizing over analog too much or obsessing over digital perfection. 

• 1 month later...

Shred + more melodies is going to be good.

Also, remember when the label were aggressively trying to hide his identity, censoring RA articles and editing his profile on Discogs? Glad they gave that up.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

Archived