IGNORED

Orbital 30

Pirtek

Suuure, it was all fun and games with Belinda Carlisle and Bon Jovi--Kirsty Hawkshaw even! Try a little Spice and we suddenly rebuke them? It's a smart move really. The youngsters who were in Lego realm during the Spice Girls fever pitch are prime pillin' age currently. Paul and Phil are rave caretakers.  

• Farnsworth 1

Why have they done a '90s piano house remix of the Spice Girls? I mean I kind of like the way they've made it sound quite melancholy, but it doesn't even sound like Orbital. 

I'd love to know what the In Sides-era Hartnolls would have made of this.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, purlieu said:

Why have they done a '90s piano house remix of the Spice Girls? I mean I kind of like the way they've made it sound quite melancholy, but it doesn't even sound like Orbital. 

I'd love to know what the In Sides-era Hartnolls would have made of this.

Me too!

Oh come on guys lol. Doesn't sound like Orbital? I think quite the opposite. This has Orbital all over it. Sure anyone could do a remix of Spice Girls for modern audience, but this has a particular brand of silliness and musical sensibility that is very Orbital, imo. Also the backwards vocals underlying the last section is a typical sound from them. I think if I heard this out of context somewhere I would go, "Is this Orbital?"

Yeah it's silly/fun etc. and should just be taken as such. Spice Girls were cringe back in the day and I'm sure if you told me that 25 years later I'd be defending Orbital doing a remix of them I wouldn't believe you (I was about 11 when this song came out and I definitely hated it then lol, I actually thought the video was a commercial for something when I first saw it). But yeah time has a way of changing things including the way we look back at the pop music we hated back then. I agree with what @xxx said too, people a few years younger than me would just eat this up.

Whatcha think about that, now you know how I feeeeeeel

I know when Orbital recorded In Sides, the spice girls were in the studio next door recording their first album, but it doesn't mean there's any need for this foolishness!!

• Haha 1

Tracklist for the radio mix:

01 - Smiley (Radio Edit) - Orbital

02 - Home (The Hottest Day On Record Mix) - Orbital feat. Anna B Savage REMIX OF NEW ALBUM TRACK

03 - Numbers - Orbital KRAFTWERK REWORK

04 - Are You Alive? - Orbital & Penelope Isles NEW ALBUM TRACK

05 - Spicy - Orbital NEW LIVE TRACK

06 - The Box (Joris Voorn Out Of The Box Remix New Edit) - Orbital

07 - TGWTSIHH (Floex Remix) [EDIT] - Orbital

08 - Belfast (Yotto Remix) - Orbital

09 - Impact (Rich NxT Remix) - Orbital

10 - You Are The Frequency - Orbital NEW ALBUM TRACK

• Like 1

Their output is now  nowhere near strong enough to merit this 'Spicy'?  type thing imo.  It's always been a fine line doing this kind of thing - i detested the bon jovi bit from the start but tolerated it but yeah i'd be walking out if they played that. TBH tho can't bring myself to go see them live now after the last time in 2017 iirc - no build up - no groove -  just a weird ramshackle set of tunes i least wanted to hear with a few classics chucked in - no chords really at all and i adore their chords e.g. track one on 'Snivilization'. I went from being obsessed with that Brown Album live set to realising their forte is their more mid and downtempo numbers. Will always love them but most of these remixes and new versions mean nothing to me. I'm giving the David Holmes mix the benefit of the doubt...seems severely prog house and i'm thinking that's his point? Was really hoping for something like his remix of Sven Vath tho: - that still kills me.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, raljax said:

Their output is now  nowhere near strong enough to merit this 'Spicy'?  type thing imo. 

I think Paul is trolling all who kept asking him to drop Belinda from Halcyon. 

On 8/29/2022 at 7:28 PM, raljax said:

I went from being obsessed with that Brown Album live set to realising their forte is their more mid and downtempo numbers.

While I like or love all eras of their output, I agree that they're far too good at slower, more melodic stuff to be focusing largely on dancier material. Monsters Exist is great, but there's still slightly too much emphasis on four-to-the-floor type stuff on there. Not entirely convinced by two of the new tracks on that mix above having guest spots either, but we'll see how it goes. I'm sure there'll be lots of decent stuff on the album at least.

Regrettably, I've only played 30 Something twice so far. The first disc, that is. The second disc once.

• Like 1

The vibe I'm getting from the new stuff is kinda like.... the b-sides of Middle of Nowhere... stuff like Doctor Lookout, Beached, An Fhomhair.

That stuff was goofy but not quite as much as The Altogether, which I still think was just a bit too much.

Spicy is RIDICULOUS sure, but what about the news clips on Smiley? That nasally "This is acid man!"... not to mention the cheesy breakbeats and the subtle-as-a-sledgehammer video... I'm not entirely sure why you lot (:emotawesomepm9:) think Smiley is the best thing they've done in years and then find Spicy such a surprise... I feel like they're kinda similar in terms of cheesy goofiness.

Are they BAD? I dunno... I find it hard to pinpoint what objectively bad music really means... I kinda liked the new album tracks in that mix... all this stuff might grow on me...

I'd say the difference between Smiley and Spicy is that Smiley is a nostalgic recreation of the rave scene that Orbital were part of in the first place, so there's a feeling of genuine fondness there (I also wouldn't put it anywhere near the top of a Recent Orbital Tracks list, but it's solid), while Spicy is a piano house remix of the Spice Girls, which doesn't feel like it has anything to do with Orbital. The actual sounds used just don't sound like any other Orbital track, other than the little breakbeat snippets in the background. It just reminds me of their Doctor Who theme and Beelzedub, in that they're probably very fun live inclusions, but as actual home listening entities I don't think they work at all. I certainly don't hate Spicy, I just don't really want to listen to it. I don't really want to listen to anything with Geri Halliwell on. She's got a fucking foghorn for a voice and is a proper nails down the blackboard sound for me.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...