IGNORED

Com Truise - Persuasion System “Mini LP” (May 17th, 2019)

a2888103786_10.jpg

01. Worldline

02. Persuasion System

03. Gaussian

04. Ultrafiche of You

05. Kontex

06. Existence Schematic

07. Laconism

08. Privilege Escalation

09. Departure

From the bandcamp page:

For nearly a decade the story of Com Truise has relied on science fiction and abstract fact. Seth Haley’s singular style of melodic beat music subsists as hazy machinist nostalgia, a mainframe downloaded cosmology. Yet with each release, alongside sonic refinement, comes an increasingly visible vapor trail to Haley’s own ontology. His long-awaited 2017 LP Iteration brought to completion a conceptual space saga while also reflecting seismic life changes for the producer and designer. With mini-LP Persuasion System, Haley leaves the past narrative behind, settling into a new period marked by change — on this planet, in the present — putting forth his most grounded and visceral work to date.

The project began as an experiment. Haley switched digital audio workstations, rebuilt his palette of sounds, and tasked himself with simply trying it out. The exercise freed him of expectations and permitted a process that echoed the tones of more immediate external environments. A gravity had seeped in; resulting material shifts between bleakness and sublime suspense, awe at the expanse of existing, in looking back and letting go. “It’s a sort of sad smile and a wave goodbye but at the same time hello, a 'welcome to your life’ moment,” Haley says. Take the storm pattern sequence from “Gaussian” to “Ultrafiche of You”: a queasy, contemplative vignette rests on a single soft-synth cloud before the latter’s percussion ripples across the sky. With trademark stutters and swells, the composition conjures the sensation of searching in the afterglow. “It’s a love song, and I don’t write many of those.”

That duality — melancholy + optimism, then + now — permeates this widescreen collection. “Existence Schematic” takes flight at night, “looking down at the landscape,” explains Haley, “seeing the lights in a schematic sort of way, wondering who or what is looking back up at me wondering the same things I am, the impact of a single existence, the end, the beginning, where it’s gone and going.” These are observations from this existential Persuasion System, and Haley hopes the music yields more, for others, that listeners may search for their own tension and release.

Pre-orders on Ghostly and bandcamp

also the way the album cover is evoking 8-Bit computer art but not conforming to an appropriate low resolution (ie. the squares at top not lining up with squares at bottom) is triggering some seriously intense OCD and making me very upset. 

i didn't mind com truise but then i saw him live and couldn't tell what he was doing cos it just all sounded like the album tracks but way louder and shitter sounding and it was packed with people all really getting into it and grooving out to it and it confused the shit out of me. #NeverAgain

ears were bleeding for a full week after

Sounds an awful lot like that kitschy pastiche stuff played on the NewRetroWave youtube channel. It's not bad, but I just can't see how this new approach is a step forward. This track might make sense in the greater context of the album.

is com truise DAD IDM or KID IDM ?

i'm guessing it's a split and not just one or the other... 

but i also assume it's popular with people who maybe aren't entirely familiar with the influences at play outside of Synthwave as a genre and everything that entails.. 

Sounds an awful lot like that kitschy pastiche stuff played on the NewRetroWave youtube channel. It's not bad, but I just can't see how this new approach is a step forward. This track might make sense in the greater context of the album.

Narrator: It didn't

Arrested Development flashback lol ^o^

he's gone full Tycho lol

I dunno, I'll def defend Galactic Melt as a solid and engaging album. He def help usher in a lot of well-made retro synthwave back when a lot of "chillwave" ranged greatly in style and quality. The quality of his production methods and equipment shined and his compositions were melodically evocative and devoid of excessive lo-fi bullshit or cheap thrills.

That said with each release I've found it less and less exciting or worthwhile. It's still well-made and consistent but that's exactly the problem. He's one of those producers who has honed in his trademark music and style so finely that it's absurdly predictable and redundant. When artists do this it becomes reliable for diehard fans but hit or miss for others. Lone, Burial, BoC. Now that retro electronic music is so in vogue Com Truise's work seems excessively needless. I couldn't even bother to listen to his last EP. I'm usually not one to go on such a negative slant and I think the guy is talented and sincere but I'm pretty much indifferent to his stuff. Very neutral regarding this single posted above.

lol p much, thats why joyrex loves him

write up is out of control

there's a clear correlation between overwrought write-ups and the degree to which the music is underwhelming mediocrity in the present day

I still rate Cyanide Sisters/Galactic Melt/In Decay pretty highly. The stuff he's put out after that less so...mainly as it all just sounded the same.

Glad to hear he's attempting to try something different, but yeah...if that preview track is any indication of his new direction, then he hasn't branched out far enough. I'll wait to hear the whole thing before passing judgement though.

I remember a perfect description of his sound someone posted here years ago saying something like Cyanide Sisters is 1985 Michael J Fox making a jump shot at the buzzer in slow motion.

i've never even bothered listening to com truise. now, thanks to this thread, i never will.

At least give Galactic Melt a spin

also does anyone else remember that photoshop of Seth of Com Truise having his head swapped with Hoodies? I just suddenly recalled that. back from the golden age of post your most recent pic 'shops

Cyanide Sisters, Galactic Melt and In Decay def has it's moments. Tracks like Slow Peels, VHS Sex, Flightwave, Open, 84'Dreamin gives me the groove. A one trick pony, though. 

Archived