IGNORED

Autechre - SIGN 16.10.20

NewSchoolScience

• 3 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, jaderpansen said:

i have to correct this statement:

it's their best album closer period.

it's a great closer, definitely one of their best. For me it's second only to Drane2.

And probably Yuop. And Sublimit.

And YJY UX. And......

• Like 1

On 2/9/2021 at 11:48 PM, toaoaoad said:

R cazt definitely has a lot of the qualities of a classic Ae closer. But the actual ending of the track feels too abrupt.

same here! i also just didn't like it at first! we can agree that it's a deliberate choice... question remains why did they choose to end it like that?

to me it's a Lynchian slap in the face, something like...

''who is the dreamer? listen to the sounds but don't get too cozy! it's just a dream! and it appears to be real while it's playing, but it's a dream. live your own dreams!''

Spoiler

-- We are the dreamers of dreams!

Edited by xox
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, toaoaoad said:

But the actual ending of the track feels too abrupt. I think they could have held those notes a bit longer, done more of a fadeout, idk.

N O !

:cat:

i think it works, it does feel a touch abrupt but i think it works very, very well.

• Like 3

On 2/8/2021 at 3:30 PM, Upset man said:

F7 does it for me every time. That last minute or so is such classic autechre and i won’t even try to put into words what it does to me but 

I love this track so much, I think it's become my favorite on the album. There's enough complexity in the melodies and textures that I feel like I always have a reason to keep listening deeper, but at the same time it's just so emotive and satisfying and even catchy, it gets stuck in my head all the time.

• Like 1

Because I was born in the north a Masshole, “mefd” reminds me of the city Medford, which any true Masshole would pronounce “Meffid.”

Shmeffid

Fuckin a weah goin ta fuckin Shmeffid to visit my dickhead cousin, it’s a wicked long drive so maybe stop at a Dunks on the way? Anyway, get in the cah ya fat fuckin fuck, &c

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Why did they not make Sign and Plus as a double album? 

They go hand in hand together like Exai and everyone here on WATTM has 50/50 feeling of wich of em is the best.

Was it about the money you think? 

4 hours ago, cern said:

They go hand in hand together like Exai and everyone here on WATTM has 50/50 feeling of wich of em is the best.

appeasement of warp? after giving away 5 hours as an album, 8 hours as an album, 30 soundboards, all at good value. 

22 hours ago, very honest said:

i want to hear esc desc on a piano

Metaz form8 arranged for piano/cello/violins could be pretty interesting

taking either of them from the electronic format would lose a lot tho, obv...and i'm not sure if there's much to be gained there in translation/interpretation. perhaps the right songs in the right hands...

17 hours ago, Soloman Tump said:

It struck me just now that I have not listened to SN/PLZ in about a month.  I need to remedy that.

did that a bit after they were both out, but been listening to them the last couple months pretty regularly. definitely fix that!

5 hours ago, cern said:

think they sorta hinted at the double album thing in that big interview they did, the first one.

i think both stand as pretty unique and interesting albums, but obv there's a lot of kinship there between them

also just fuckin wild that they named two albums at least in part referencing a ludicrous WATMM meme

• Like 5

4 hours ago, auxien said:

also just fuckin wild that they named two albums at least in part referencing a ludicrous WATMM meme

Just wait until Bull Wallet drops out of the blue someday...

On 2/27/2021 at 5:23 PM, very honest said:

i want to hear esc desc on a piano

Ooh, imagine how lovely it'd sound with a full string orchestra (with possible additional brass)

• Like 1

On 3/1/2021 at 3:42 PM, mcbpete said:

Ooh, imagine how lovely it'd sound with a full string orchestra (with possible additional brass)

Was curious to see how well Ableton could cope with all the *everything* of the track when automagically converting it to midi  .... Gets itself in a bit of a big muddle a few times but there's definitely something there with only a bit of cleaning up -

• Like 2
  • Burger 1
  • Farnsworth 1

On 2/28/2021 at 9:28 AM, auxien said:

maybe I missed this over the course of the past 100+ pages of discussion, but are you referring to "Sean Pls" as what could have led to the naming of "Sign / Plus?"

• Like 2