The Rover : great post-collapse film. Australia looks especially amazing in that particular setting. Great actors too, Guy Pearce is top notch as usual and Robert Pattinson keeps on surprising me. This dude only has made great choices after Twilight... Also very strong OST with some tracks from Colin Stetson, William Basinski, Tortoise plus great drone pieces. Recommended.

Any other good recent movies in the post-apocalyptic theme ? I've watched Children of men and it was awesome. Didn't like The Road and I heard Young Ones (with the FBI agent from Boardwalk Empire) was pretty meh.

Time of the Wolf (Michael Haneke) is good, but features the killing of a horse. Don't feel bad if you steal it, m8.

Oh yeah seen that one. Strong movie that one, almost made me sick in my tummy.

The Rover : great post-collapse film. Australia looks especially amazing in that particular setting. Great actors too, Guy Pearce is top notch as usual and Robert Pattinson keeps on surprising me. This dude only has made great choices after Twilight... Also very strong OST with some tracks from Colin Stetson, William Basinski, Tortoise plus great drone pieces. Recommended.

Any other good recent movies in the post-apocalyptic theme ? I've watched Children of men and it was awesome. Didn't like The Road and I heard Young Ones (with the FBI agent from Boardwalk Empire) was pretty meh.

not to be super-pedantic but The Rover and CoM are both mid-collapse films, not really post-apocalyptic films. especially The Rover. the idea Michod had behind this movie was to invert the current global economic structure and make the rising Asian economies the new powers of the time while Western economies slump and collapse. the violence and anarchy depicted in the film happens now, in impoverished states. it's not some distant future. this is actually a big part of understanding this film, because (as you know) there isn't a lot of exposition.

I loved The Rover because its point is made in such a subtle, unspoken language, i.e. the body language of the drifter and the desolate beauty of the outback. and the music was brill.

anyway, for other similar movies with a desert feel, there's always Mad Max 1 & 2. for a less well-known flick, there's this:

The-Blood-of-Heroes-Poaster.jpg

an underrated classic.

Time of the Wolf (Michael Haneke) is good, but features the killing of a horse. Don't feel bad if you steal it, m8.

I will be watching this.

not to be super-pedantic but The Rover and CoM are both mid-collapse films, not really post-apocalyptic films. especially The Rover. the idea Michod had behind this movie was to invert the current global economic structure and make the rising Asian economies the new powers of the time while Western economies slump and collapse. the violence and anarchy depicted in the film happens now, in impoverished states. it's not some distant future. this is actually a big part of understanding this film, because (as you know) there isn't a lot of exposition.

I loved The Rover because its point is made in such a subtle, unspoken language, i.e. the body language of the drifter and the desolate beauty of the outback. and the music was brill.

anyway, for other similar movies with a desert feel, there's always Mad Max 1 & 2. for a less well-known flick, there's this:

The-Blood-of-Heroes-Poaster.jpg

an underrated classic.

You're right, that's actually why I said "post-collapse" instead of "post-apo" at first but still ended up saying the latter. I do love this about this movie too, the way everything is felt rather than clichedly introduced with an opening text, a voice-over narration or a news report. Even Mad Max did that without any need of doing so. Kinda breaks the magic.

Lucy - eight luc besson's out of ten. I enjoyed it, i thought it was going to piss me off, so that was nice. Some of the odd interspersing of reference material at the start was a bit naff, and the philosophical and scientific justification were slap&hapdash to anyone that has thought about this sort of thing. But still it was as nicely packaged little escape package*

guardians of the galaxy - well that was better than expected, kept on cruising along without getting bogged down with humourless posing, bro/romantic dribble, exposition for the dumb dumbs or overlong fightscenes/10

trick or treat (1986) - the start of the film was much better thought out than what eventuated, but still, worth your time soaking in the 80's./10 cameos by ozzy osborne and gene simmons

* yes i do that all the time, not that anyone has ever notices, /cries i was hoping that someone would call me out on it, after all these years

DC's Suicide Squad has been cast:

Will Smith, Tom Hardy, Margot Robbie, Jared Leto, Cara Delevingne and Jai Courtney will make up the big screen version of the "Suicide Squad" film, based on the characters from DC Comics.

Leto is Joker

Fresh Prince is Deadshot

G9dIB84.jpg

this is the documentary about john wojtowicz (the character that al pacino plays in dog day afternoon) who robs a bank in an attempt to get money to pay for his wife's sex change operation. despite knowing the story beforehand, i still found the documentary really interesting, tragic and comical- the real john is a very interesting character.

Maleficent_poster.jpg

this film came across as disney's attempts at applying lord of the rings cgi and epic scope to a fairy tale (in this case sleeping beauty) then getting every disney executive to hack the script but getting some random woman to take the credit (i.e. blame in case things don't work out which they didn't).

The Babadook 7/10 - I finally got round to seeing the hotly anticipated Babadook and while my expectations were met they were not surpassed. A nice device with the pop-up book proved effective but halfway through we see an effective set up going down a familiar path but mad props for keeping it fresh with the weirdness of the mum and son. They were strange.

Need For Speed 6.5/10 - Nice driving. Easy watching. Too long. And a real douchebag performance by Michael Keaton.

I also watched American Hustle and Under The Skin again and thought they were greatness.

Cap America: Winter Soldier 8/10 - Cap is my fave Marvel super hero and i like seeing him negotiate with the new world, kicking asses and outsmarting his evil enemies. Did not disappoint. Great, creepy scene in the underground bunker with Zola's brain connected to all the PC's. With Bucky Barnes back in the fray Civil War should be fantastic.

Lone Survivor 7/10 - War is rough.

Interstellar (Imax Version) 8/10 - Otherwordly.

G9dIB84.jpg

this is the documentary about john wojtowicz (the character that al pacino plays in dog day afternoon) who robs a bank in an attempt to get money to pay for his wife's sex change operation. despite knowing the story beforehand, i still found the documentary really interesting, tragic and comical- the real john is a very interesting character.

Maleficent_poster.jpg

this film came across as disney's attempts at applying lord of the rings cgi and epic scope to a fairy tale (in this case sleeping beauty) then getting every disney executive to hack the script but getting some random woman to take the credit (i.e. blame in case things don't work out which they didn't).

Wait til you see what they're about to do to Cinderella.