IGNORED

Music on WATMM sometimes feels like a never ending circlejerk

o00o

8 hours ago, dcom said:

As the title of that paper suggests, it argued that in the 1980s cultural elites changed the way they signaled their status, replacing an exclusive snobbery centered on the most refined high culture with a flexible and open acceptance of both high and low culture.

I’m not familiar with this text but the appropriation of taste for the “low brow” by cultural elites is part of Bourdieu’s analysis of class in his 1979 book “Distinction.” in his study the main kinds of low brow art forms were jazz and photography lol

Edited by Alcofribas

@Alcofribas and @dcom, yeah, I think what you guys are referring to is "cultural omnivore" theory, where elitism is based on eclectic tastes that don't really concern whether the cultural texts being consumed are from 'popular culture' or the 'avant garde'

I'm drawing on ideas like that for this paper I'm nearly done writing on idm.... thanks again for your inputs on that

"I'm cool enough to like things that are not considered 'good' and thereby fly in the face of bourgeois taste"

vs

"I like what I like, idk bra"

10 hours ago, headplastic said:

think what you guys are referring to is "cultural omnivore" theory, where elitism is based on eclectic tastes that don't really concern whether the cultural texts being consumed are from 'popular culture' or the 'avant garde'

I was giving a nod towards Bourdieu and cultural (musical) taste as performance, the production of taste; Debord and the society of spectacle; and perhaps even Baudrillard and his simulation theory and simulacra; maybe throw in some genre theory, too. I won't go into detail here, postmodern cultural theory is not everyone's cup of tea.

Looking forward to your paper.

Edited by dcom
  • Like 2