IGNORED

bandcamp acquired by epic games?!

species8472

4 minutes ago, dcom said:

Americans have some of that, too, and the Brits, maybe throw in all the rest colonialist countries for good measure. Good to know that all capitalism is built on genocide.

Yeah but buying things on bandcamp didnt give money directly to the american police, the canadian residential schools from the 60s or mining companies.

Now it directly gives money to people that directly collaborate with Uyghurs genocide.

Edited by thefxbip

2 minutes ago, thefxbip said:

So now everytime i sell/buy an underground music album it seems im directly giving cash to people that helped a genocide? lol

Although I was being deeply and darkly sarcastic, yeah, in a roundabout way you're feeding the beast (that is capitalism) that has its origin in the exploitation and/or extermination of people.

Capitalism is evil but not every company just DIRECTLY gives out names of people out so they will be detained in concentration camps, knowing thats what will happen, there is a gradation of evil.

Anyway. Im not that naive, i know lots of things we use in everyday are linked to this shit. But its quite depressing, indeed (for me anyway) to know bandcamp is now linked directly to this brand as well.

Edited by thefxbip
  • Like 1

But in China, Tencent is everywhere. It’s behind the nation’s most popular messaging app, WeChat, with over 1.2 billion monthly active users. It’s the behemoth that created QQ.com, one of the country’s largest web portals and the world’s fourth most visited website. And with Tencent Music, it also owns the majority of China’s music services, with 841 million active users.

It’s also China’s — and the world’s — biggest game company. And with a growing presence internationally, we recently decided to take a closer look at how it operates and what it owns.

A closer look at Tencent, the world’s biggest game company (Polygon)

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, dcom said:

wow. china is big. 

And with Tencent Music, it also owns the majority of China’s music services, with 841 million active users.

if somehow bandcamp becomes un-banned in china... all my modular farts will become legendary fortnite dancer background music. 

also, wtf tencent owns a lot of shit.  huge company. but seems at odds w/chinese gov't over cultural clamp downs etc. 

Edited by ignatius
  • Haha 1

That's how I lost  joyrex.com - a company called MusicFans bought it and was paying me to admin it... then they went bust in the .com boom and I lost the domain that now a squatter is sitting on for way more than I am willing to pay...

• Sad 2

48 minutes ago, thefxbip said:

Man, the gaming industry is even bigger than i thought.

The global movie industry is worth about 140 billion USD;  the global gaming market is worth 170 billion USD - projected to be over 300 billion USD in 2026. In contrast, the illicit global drug market is worth 360 billion USD, and the pharmaceutical industry 1.72 trillon USD.

Edited by dcom

Soon gaming, music and movie industry is gonna be only one industry owned by one company. Same with everything else in this shitty world. 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, osobjornmedved said:

they could make you play Fortnite to unlock achievements in Bandcamp

ha lol !

well, time will tell... I, too, hope it will stay fair with artists and users.

Edited by neurone