IGNORED

bandcamp acquired by epic games?!

species8472

what the fuck is songtradr? never heard of it. i'm sure its a huge piece of shit though.

1 hour ago, kuniklo said:

I switched to buying as much as possible from Boomkat and Bleep recently. 

I think it’s more important than ever to support small, independent music stores. 

this is the proper way. you buy music from a music store. that being said i love bandcamp.

Edited by species8472
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, kuniklo said:

I switched to buying as much as possible from Boomkat and Bleep recently. 

I think it’s more important than ever to support small, independent music stores. 

a lot of music on bandcamp is not available in stores tho. 

• Like 2

On 9/28/2023 at 12:21 PM, kuniklo said:

I’m seriously considering building a Bandcamp competitor after this announcement. 

with a name like "Bandcamp Competitor" it's sure to catch fire!

edit: /s obviously

Edited by ignatius
  • Facepalm 1

after myspace collapsed everyone moved to bandcamp. the problem is not to build another similar site but to get all artists moving again which is not happening until they really ruin it 

a generic website like this with similar functionality can be build in a couple of hours 

Edited by o00o
  • Like 1

They’ve also also been on a buying spree lately, acquiring 7digital and a stake in Jaxsta. Plus they’re using AI and neuroscience to tailor music for brands?

Honestly, the real problem is, given the nature of platform capitalism and the governance of private corporations being for investor benefit, ultimately all these tools are doomed. It’s not really fair to say these services are artist-first, because artists ultimately have limited say over them. That’s not to say we shouldn’t use these services, but the dependency on them – and the extent to which we’re serving someone else’s needs – should absolutely be a worry.

https://cdm.link/2023/09/bandcamp-sold-to-songtradr/

CDM's writeup is solid. does a bit of digging into Songtradr 

17 hours ago, NewSchoolScience said:

Terrible name

ensemblebivouac

... additional

Not only should artists have hubs and sites under their command, but we need to start thinking about true artist-first tools that operate on community rather than profit.

https://8sided.blog/a-mess-of-headaches/

Edited by iococoi

On 9/28/2023 at 9:36 PM, dcom said:

FFS

Yes. But life goes on, we'll see how and where.

I stopped reading Songtradrs statement right in the first sentence. Art is not what they remotely care of? "Songtradr, a music licensing platform and marketplace company..." 

Screenshot_20231001_132326.jpg

Edited by WurstPLUS
  • Like 1

so the mayor problem with being sold over and over is that the product is not developed further? At this point I wonder where it should go.

When last.fm started redesigning itself over and over it was the beginning of the end. same with reddit. so maybe its not so bad that they just stay where they are?

• Like 1

Guessing the acquisition is down to Epic Games trying to recoup some cash from their recent huge losses - Blame Fortnite I guess  (what a strange world we're in where a game dictates the fate of a music platform !)... - https://en.as.com/meristation/news/epic-games-ceo-blames-fortnite-for-the-companys-massive-layoffs-of-almost-1000-workers-n/

12 minutes ago, Summon Dot E X E said:

Future releases may be via Google Drive links.

i'll pay for a wetransfer account and put it all there for free DL and put a PDF in each release w/paypal and venmo addresses for anyone who wants to donate. should maybe do that anyways.. it's not like distrokid and streaming is working out. so far in my 2nd year of being on a bunch of streaming services my "bank" on distro kid has $5.79 in it. 

• Like 1

it's currently the only worthwhile outlet for independent artists. there's nothing else that let's artists interact with fans directly and present their releases in the form that suits them while actually being able to sell things. 

streaming is a joke. 

hopefully they don't totally fuckover everyone who uses bandcamp. 

• Like 2

Looks like they tried to form a union under epic and they got rid of the problem by selling the whole thing off and getting rid of half the staff

Edited by o00o