IGNORED

Oneohtrix Point Never - Again

d-a-m-o

Forgot he was doing the AMA !!! I wanted to ask my question about this "Keychain Studies" thing he started but of which we never heard later...

Reddit is botched with server errors but I managed to grab some interesting screenshoots, 2024 will be a heavy OPN year !

Capturedecran2023-10-10a22_53_11.thumb.png.5e78562788f6151c7b82daddc1a1d286.png

Capturedecran2023-10-10a22_44_56.thumb.png.7bce051d04fcf99d3388148cbb2ed0e5.png

• Like 2
  • Burger 1

Finally got a chance to go on a walk with some headphones and give this a listen last night. Agreed with a lot of comments that this sounds a bit more scattershot than his last few albums, which had a developed consistent sound. I feel like he's gone for a new thing with this record and you can see where it's going but he doesn't quite get there all the time. However....

On 10/1/2023 at 10:35 AM, Friendly Stranger said:

The last four tracks overall. Amazing run of tunes. I think On an Axis is one of the best tunes I’ve ever heard from him, I don’t even know how to classify it. 

A Barely Lit Path is just next level, probably my track of the year.

Totally the album builds to the last four tracks (although I think On an Axis is my least fav out of the four). The last 48 seconds or so of Memories of Music, with that swank bass line and then the simple but slightly shuffled hat come in on the four is mmm so lush.

Ubiquity Road and A Barely Lit Path are just a gorgeous pairing to end off the album. Unfortunate that I'm in a land where the only legal mind altering substance is alcohol, but there it is.

Having a second listen this morning, and it's still holding that same vibe of not quite being there all together. Some literal moments of genius followed by something slightly less cohesive.

• Like 1

On 10/11/2023 at 3:05 AM, chenGOD said:

Having a second listen this morning, and it's still holding that same vibe of not quite being there all together. Some literal moments of genius followed by something slightly less cohesive.

Completely agree with this not sure what to make of this album.

2:26 "vaporwave continues to be this dirty little skeleton [that] he refuses to pull out of the closet"

Welp Chonkthony, it would be a bloodbath of sample clearances since he used some of the biggest pop songs in the history of mankind for the fodder and it's not in the closet on the last 3 albums. I guess we could be defining vaporwave differently but I feel like he tips his Celtics cap at least one time per album to a vaped aesthetic.

See also:

"ECCOJAMC1", "SDFK", first half of "Last Known Image of a Song", "Bow Ecco", "Imago" and first half of "On An Axis"

• Like 1
  • Burger 1

This album sounds especially better and engaging on speakers than headphones. Something about how it's mixed I think. On headphones I think it the stereo field doesn't translate well or something like that. At least for me I dunno about others.

I'm struggling to get into the groove of listening to music at the moment. Either too busy, or not in the correct mood for what I'm playing (for example I tried to play Alva Noto the other day but had to turn it off because it was destroying my real upbeat mood lol) Every time I've attempted to play the new OPN (apart from the first play) something has interupted it. Even when I tried to play the needle drop review I had to stop that after 45 seconds to let the dog out in the garden. 

This has happened before. Its weird when it's like that.

That was a very good interview with Fantano. How can you not be charmed by that ol' mensch Lopatin? I must admit that I'm having a hard time understanding the video release surrounding "Memories of Music". The "40% battery life" subtitle hints at it really being an unfinished/sketched out scenario and I sifted through all the .zip file contents. There is a MIDI file for Van Halen's "Eruption" solo in it that is hilarious. Maybe my DAW settings were off but the tempo was juiced to hell and it sounded like flatpicking bluegrass in the style of Bill Monroe hahaha. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Been listening to this everyday this past week. Finding the second half quite spellbinding. The first few tracks I haven't cracked just yet. Seems like an incredible album to be honest and the record I was hoping for after the last few releases. Nice work Mr OPN.

• Like 2

On 11/1/2023 at 4:49 AM, xxx said:

That was a very good interview with Fantano. How can you not be charmed by that ol' mensch Lopatin? I must admit that I'm having a hard time understanding the video release surrounding "Memories of Music". The "40% battery life" subtitle hints at it really being an unfinished/sketched out scenario and I sifted through all the .zip file contents. There is a MIDI file for Van Halen's "Eruption" solo in it that is hilarious. Maybe my DAW settings were off but the tempo was juiced to hell and it sounded like flatpicking bluegrass in the style of Bill Monroe hahaha. 

Isn't it the guitar solo he sings over his own song during the album commentary episode of his podcast? That moment was fun, he sounded quite high haha.

Gave the album a listen tonight after putting it aside for a few days and it sounds even better imho. Also managed to snatch a vinyl copy of it and I'm really happy.

Listened again this morning. The first two tracks are similar as in they sound like intros. Weird to have two tracks like that, also the beginning of the third track sounds in the same vein. But when the huge drum appears and kicks in on World Outside that to me is when everything starts to become more coherent and move forwards. And from there on in the rollercoaster starts accelerating. 

I have to say I had a feeling in my bones this morning that I was listening to a 'classic' record. I could be wrong, you know 6am, brain a bit foggy, but it felt good to me. Really good.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Listening to the album after a longer hiatus. Strong tracks sound even stronger, and weak tracks even weaker. The Body Trail amazes me everytime.

Again nevertheless seems to have fallen in WATMM's oblivion, might be OPN least discussed album on the board :shrug:

(nobody even linked the Nightmare Paint music video ?)

Spoiler

Edited by Stock
  • Haha 1