IGNORED

André 3000 - New Blue Sun

Mattthegoone

Beautiful release, hopefully this'll be an entry point into the world of instrumental music for a lot of hip-hop and mainstream music listeners.

Edited by thumbass
  • Like 3

Only heard the first track so far and although it is very much normally not my type of thing, it may have come at the perfect time with all the personal and global stressors pervading everyday life. Gonna give it the full listen when I get a chance to get out in nature.

Also major respect to André for still being the uncompromising, gonna do whatever the fuck he wants to do type of dude for putting out an album in a genre that’s probably top 5 least lucrative. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Hail Sagan said:

Also major respect to André for still being the uncompromising, gonna do whatever the fuck he wants to do type of dude for putting out an album in a genre that’s probably top 5 least lucrative. 

I think that's what endears me to him the most. He could've put out a bunch of albums in the hip hop lane but he didn't want to/wasn't inspired to go that route. I love that this of all routes is the one he chose to take, because it's meaningful to him. I wish more artists were this principled and chose their passion over $$.

• Like 1

There's an element of this which feels like - basic flautist with massive rap status enlists high quality musicians to prop up his belief that he has transcended the kiddies playground of hip hop and can now play at being sun ra....

still...excellent ambient album

• Like 3

Well the album starts off a little basic but the deeper into the album you get the more interesting it gets imo. He’s a talented guy. 
It’s not music I’m usually into, I think you could group it with the world music crowd, but I enjoyed it. 

On 11/17/2023 at 6:08 AM, Rubin Farr said:

seems like a really level-headed guy. breezed through a few things of the album and need to give it a true spin, probably a decent background listen.

• Like 4

Leading up to its release, fans could find clues to New Blue Sun’s sound in its lengthy and idiosyncratic track titles, in voluble and forthcoming interviews with André 3000, and in the influences cited for the album, which included Alice Coltrane, Brian Eno, Laraaji, Pharaoh Sanders, and an ayahuasca ceremony in which André transformed into a panther.

While we can’t make you a panther, Discogs can help you find records from all of these influences, as well as further listening for anyone who loves André 3000’s long-awaited album New Blue Sun.

https://www.discogs.com/digs/music/if-you-like-andre-3000s-flute-odyssey-new-blue-sun-check-out-these-records/?utm_source=homepage&utm_medium=discogs&utm_campaign=Andre-3000_Music

includes Jon Hopkins, Aphex, Eno, Tangerine Dream, Kamasi Washington, Laraaji, etc. surely a good thing if this gets a few new ears on some other cool tunes.

4 hours ago, th555 said:

Does anyone know exactly what kind of flute(s) he uses?

I tried sleuthing but it's almost impossible to find the exact make as there are countless traditional flute makers out there. Main one is a Mayan double drone flute. He has at least two, bright and dark wood. Looks like Southern Cross or Nash as they make that design but it might as well be custom made in South America. 

His transverse bass flute featured in the cover and promo pics also looks custom made. Ornament looks similar to Southern Cross ones but that's just traditional Mayan jade. 

The digital flute, no idea as there are no photos.

He also plays everything from bamboo and contrabass to regular concert flutes which all look the same regardless of brand. 

Edited by chim
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2