oscillik

They should fire Zimmer too and just reuse Toto's Dune soundtrack

Actually, when you look around, there are so many good composers out there who could (and probably should) have been given the assignment. But it's all about who you know.

Lol. I bet Ridley Scott hasn't even heard of most of the artists that get discussed here and other places. All he knows is people in the business. Just a handful of 'go-to' guys.

Zimmer's been in the business for decades, scoring dozens of films - despite that fact that (for me) he has probably only written two good scores.

I think he is the most overrated composer in the film business.

I liked the score to The Dark Knight and bits of Interstellar, but otherwise it's basic orchestral schlock with some bassy sub sweeteners.

Plus he works with a team of ghost writers...

the interstellar ost was basically a copy of or homage to steal of phillip glass and murcof music

Indeed. Interstellar is maybe his best score. But it's a totally rip off of Koyaanisqatsi.

well yeah.... a lot of things are a rip off of philip glass. you only get one philip glass every once in a while, extremely special composer. zimmers come and go v often.

anyway this movie will probably suck- i'm going to have to see it in finland too, meaning all the "imagery" will be covered up by long, unintelligible subtitles

Was there any official word why Vangelis wasn't considered? Is he too old?

Probably one of the following.

• He is too old and felt he couldn't take it on.
  • He knows that any attempt to write music for a foolish sequel would be pointless.
  • He'd rather be remembered for the first film
  • I don't believe he's ever done a sequel to anything.
  • He's happy to sit back and let lesser-talented people fuck it up.

the interstellar ost was basically a copy of or homage to steal of phillip glass and murcof music

Indeed. Interstellar is maybe his best score. But it's a totally rip off of Koyaanisqatsi.

and this:

Unreleased show Jason Issacs' captain blasting through meteoroids to get to the mirror planet. Autists are gonna flip out when then they see the colour grading on this baby, it has a blue/orange hue. And they will shit their pants with the lens flare on the landing shot. 

Was there any official word why Vangelis wasn't considered? Is he too old?

Probably one of the following.

• He is too old and felt he couldn't take it on.
  • He knows that any attempt to write music for a foolish sequel would be pointless.
  • He'd rather be remembered for the first film
  • I don't believe he's ever done a sequel to anything.
  • He's happy to sit back and let lesser-talented people fuck it up.

• he is exceedingly large and can't move very well making it hard to compose music

Unreleased show Jason Issacs' captain blasting through meteoroids to get to the mirror planet. Autists are gonna flip out when then they see the colour grading on this baby, it has a blue/orange hue. And they will shit their pants with the lens flare on the landing shot. 

wrong thread but good effort

The thing that should have happened is for the producers to give a rough cut of the film to twenty different artists

Com Truise probably could have done a more appropriate OST than Zimmer or that other guy.

Lol. What? That guy has one style. His stuff carries about as much emotion as an electric toaster.

I would have given a rough cut the artists listed below. They would each score the film. Then the director etc would choose the best piece that worked with each scene.

Alva Noto

OPN

Claude Speeed

Huerco S.

Pye Corner Audio

Kaitlyn Aurelia Smith

Leyland Kirby

Phil Struck

Nadia Struiwigh

Guys! Guys! Let ask Phil Collins!!!!

Idea is that Miami Vice has a rape-session with Blade Runner and some odd 80's nouveau art style comes out of it. Harrison Ford in a suit with a T-shirt underneath and no socks yo! Sun tan. Sun glasses. Blade Runner in 2040 Miami.

The thing that should have happened is for the producers to give a rough cut of the film to twenty different artists

Com Truise probably could have done a more appropriate OST than Zimmer or that other guy.

Lol. What? That guy has one style. His stuff carries about as much emotion as an electric toaster.

Granted, Com's style hasn't evolved, but as far as the aesthetic , I think his music would fit Blade Runner pretty well. Plus, artists sometimes take a different approach to OSTs than they do their own compositions.

Granted, Com's style hasn't evolved, but as far as the aesthetic , I think his music would fit Blade Runner pretty well. Plus, artists sometimes take a different approach to OSTs than they do their own compositions.

That's true. Maybe Zimmer will step out of his comfort zone. I hope we don't just get those huge, pounding strings and horns everywhere.