IGNORED

Steinvord - Steinvord

Redruth

Maybe it's time to get a new stylus...

there goes another fucking £40

Have you got an antistatic brush? Static might be the problem and a velvet brush/pad thing is much cheaper than a good stylus!

I heard somewhere that compressed air helps remove static from vinyl. Is that a load of shit?

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have you got an antistatic brush? Static might be the problem and a velvet brush/pad thing is much cheaper than a good stylus!

yeah I've got antistatic brush, zerostat gun, etc...not helping. I may just need a new stylus, it is probably due for being replaced.

I heard somewhere that compressed air helps remove static from vinyl. Is that a load of shit?

yeah, that sounds like a load of shit to me. if anything, it'd make the situation worse (kicking up dust in the air which would be attracted to the static-induced record)

This is why I don't understand vinyl. Once things get to 256kbps and a 16 bit bit-depth I can't hear any imperfections. Maybe a tiny, tiny bit. But if I really care I can buy 320kbps songs off of Bleep or preferably acquire some WAVs or AIFFs. And records skip and warp and deteriorate; files don't.

This is why I don't understand vinyl. Once things get to 256kbps and a 16 bit bit-depth I can't hear any imperfections. Maybe a tiny, tiny bit. But if I really care I can buy 320kbps songs off of Bleep or preferably acquire some WAVs or AIFFs. And records skip and warp and deteriorate; files don't.

you've never listened to a record on a decent turntable have you?

I have, and it sounded great. But I really think that it's the speaker system that makes the difference; audiophiles with good turntables also have good systems. There is literally no reason why it should sound better. Maybe the dust and grain adds to the real-ness of it? I guess if it was completely acoustic it might be cool, but since it's just an electronic signal, the "wave" created by the alternating current from the turntable is going to come out almost identical to the one created by the file. If anything, there would be errors in the vinyl that don't exist in the file. I guess maybe that adds something instead of detracting; that is, in my opinion, part of the reason why analogue synths are better than digital ones.

Also, a good turntable's not going to stop time degradation and water damage.

There is literally no reason why it should sound better.

who here is saying that it does?

the "wave" created by the alternating current from the turntable is going to come out almost identical to the one created by the file.

music (when done properly) must be mastered for vinyl, because massive dynamic changes in quick succession can cause the stylus to jump out of the groove, and this is obviously not desired. as a consequence, many properly mastered records actually do have differing audio. Ben Frost's By The Throat is the example that springs to mind immediately...

Also, a good turntable's not going to stop time degradation and water damage.

correct. But good care of records is.

music (when done properly) must be mastered for vinyl, because massive dynamic changes in quick succession can cause the stylus to jump out of the groove, and this is obviously not desired. as a consequence, many properly mastered records actually do have differing audio. Ben Frost's By The Throat is the example that springs to mind immediately...

Huh. Interesting. Learn something new every day.

Actually, here's what I think is dumb: mastering tracks digitally, then pressing them to vinyl. I don't know if artists actually do that, but I assume people have.

Actually, here's what I think is dumb: mastering tracks digitally, then pressing them to vinyl. I don't know if artists actually do that, but I assume people have.

Unfortunately yes this is the case - http://www.midheaven.com/item/selected-ambient-works-ii-by-aphex-twin-3xlp

Huh. Interesting. Learn something new every day.

why is that dumb?

hang on, lemme get comfortable so I can hear this one...

.....okay, proceed.

Unfortunately yes this is the case - http://www.midheaven...aphex-twin-3xlp

that's a different thing though - that's taking the tracks mastered for CD and then putting them straight onto vinyl. that is stupid.

however, mastering tracks using digital tools and then pressing this to vinyl is not stupid.

Yeah apologies, I misinterpreted his post. Agreed, anything mastered above 44.1Khz / 16bit (i.e. 99% of recordings) will definitely benefit by having a [good quality] vinyl pressing over a CD one...

Yeah apologies, I misinterpreted his post. Agreed, anything mastered above 44.1Khz / 16bit (i.e. 99% of recordings) will definitely benefit by having a [good quality] vinyl pressing over a CD one...

Aren't there really high quality CD players etc that would play a similar quality to good quality pressed vinyl? I mean, your player will be only as good as your source so if the CD/Vinyl/Cassette is shit the player can only do so much...

but aren't there HQ CDs as well? =/

Sorry I didn't read the whole thread..

Aren't there really high quality CD players etc that would play a similar quality to good quality pressed vinyl? I mean, your player will be only as good as your source so if the CD/Vinyl/Cassette is shit the player can only do so much...

there is SACD. Good luck finding music pressed on SACD that isn't classical music...

As for a player that can somehow magically interpolate a 44.1KHz/16bit CD into 96KHz/24bit, nope.

there is SACD. Good luck finding music pressed on SACD that isn't classical music...

As for a player that can somehow magically interpolate a 44.1KHz/16bit CD into 96KHz/24bit, nope.

lol RE the magical player.

:)

Don't waste your money on a turntable just to impress WATMM. New records won't be produced at all in another 5 years.

Gescom

Autechre

The Booth and Brown Happy Times Music Company

Steinvord makes music on a fucking computer thanks! These tracks are DIGITAL. Vinyl will be a "representation" of the PURE DIGITAL music. As is the case with all music. At some point, all music is processed in a computer. It turns into 1s and 0s. End of story. Check this Video of vinyl getting made and tell me this is "good for the sound" or "it creates warmth". HA!

DigitalDigitalDigitalDigitalDigitalDigitalDigitalDigitalDigitalDigitalDigitalDigitalDigitalDigitalDigitalDigitalDigitalDigitalDigitalDigitalDigitalDigitalDigitalDigitalDigitalDigitalDigital

Steinvord makes music on a fucking computer thanks! These tracks are DIGITAL. Vinyl will be a "representation" of the PURE DIGITAL music. As is the case with all music. At some point, all music is processed in a computer. It turns into 1s and 0s. End of story. Check this Video of vinyl getting made and tell me this is "good for the sound" or "it creates warmth". HA!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUGRRUecBik

DigitalDigitalDigitalDigitalDigitalDigitalDigitalDigitalDigitalDigitalDigitalDigitalDigitalDigitalDigitalDigitalDigitalDigitalDigitalDigitalDigitalDigitalDigitalDigitalDigitalDigitalDigital

Premium_Bass_Baits_Black_812308233-588x416.jpg

Archived